Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions on how to swing the rear of the FZ-09 around in a tight space in the back of the garage? I can get the front wheel lined up no problem, but I need to pick up the rear of the bike to swing it around to line up with the back of the garage evenly. The issue is that I don't have rear passenger handles to hold on to move the rear of the bike. There is no place to really grip the bike. I know they make motorcycle dollies, but they are kind of oversized for my needs. Also, I have seen dirt bikes have tug straps that can be put on those types of bikes to move them around. Can the passenger handles on the FJ-09 be retro fitted to the FZ-09? I can move the rear of the bike, but I have to use both arms and I don't want the kick stand to cave in and drop my bike. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
987 Posts
Turn the bike on the kickstand (FYI can't view the above video from work)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Sounds awkward at first, but with a little practice much like parallel parking, could you back the motorcycle into position?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Turn the bike on the kickstand (FYI can't view the above video from work)

This^^

I do this every day to put my bike away or even to adjust it in a parking space or something to get that extra bit of adjustment.

To spin your bike on the kickstand turn your bars fully left, grab the left grip with you left hand and reach over the seat with your right hand and grab what's more comfortable for you either the right side subframe or passenger peg. Then pull up onto the kick stand and then spin the bike.

You don't have to get the bike super far off the ground, just so the wheels pick up. I'd practice in an open space like the drivewau or parking lot just to get used to it if you e never done it before.

Be carful though because it will scratch the surface your on. (I don't know if you have a nice floor in your garage or something)

·
Registered
539 Posts
I usually just pick up the rear end from the subframe :dontknow:

Must be the dirt rider in me.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I usually just pick up the rear end from the subframe :dontknow:

Must be the dirt rider in me.
I don't do this often but I've lifted the bike by sliding my hands through the top of each wheel and gripping the tire before lifting, sort of like doing barbell curls. Once the bike is a few feet off the ground you should be able to place it anywhere.:cool:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
+1 on pivoting it on the kickstand. See small folks in SE asia do it all the time with their scooters. If you're on a trip with a buddy, one person can kickstand tip the bike while the other lubes the chain. It works great.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My friends think its so weird to pivot the bike on the kick stand... Yet, I do it with all my bikes. If I dump my bike in the woods and am in a hairy situation, I use the kickstand pivot, parking in my garage i use the kickstand pivot. I will even drive straight into a parking lot, get off and do a quick pivot and BOOM, back parked. I learned to do this because I have short legs :(

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't do this often but I've lifted the bike by sliding my hands through the top of each wheel and gripping the tire before lifting, sort of like doing barbell curls. Once the bike is a few feet off the ground you should be able to place it anywhere.:cool:
Haha I can't say I've gone as far as that (with the fz) I have one time done something similar with my wr250f two years back ;)

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kickstand Spin is what I have been doing for years. Not much room in my garage or drive way. So when I get just inside the door, I give her a spin. If your afraid of scratching your floor or wearing a spot on your kickstand, get a kickstand pad or something similar like those little disc used to put under furniture legs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used two kickstand pads that are made of hard plastic. After the front is positioned, I would put one pad under the rear wheel by either moving the bike forward or backward a few inches then put a pad under the kickstand. I would then use the passenger foot pegs to push the bike's rear wheel into place. Takes practice but worked for me. I was extra careful not to tip the bike over or drop the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts