Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
those dunlops are junk. right at 5000 miles and they have had their time

btw is it safe to ride on em for a little bit more

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It depends. Look at the wear indicators and overall condition of the tire. Tires are cheap, why risk it?

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
654 Posts
I hate them too but not for tire wear, they just do not inspire confidence in the corners, cant wait to have Angel GTs on this bike. How are the guys who were lucky enough for their bikes to come with bridgestones liking them?

Reactions: redeye

·
Registered
245 Posts
My tires looked exactly like yours when I pulled them this weekend with almost dead on 5000 miles. Junk, agreed. But OEM tires are typically short lived junk. I put on a set of PR4s and couldn't be happier. The best $$$ I've ever spent on motorcycles is on a tire-changer. NoMar takes me one step further toward dealer independence.

·
Super Moderator
4,344 Posts
Hell, I never had a rear tire last more than 2500 miles. My PR4's have 2800 miles and they don't even look used. Obviously I'm not pushing hard enough.

·
Registered
245 Posts
im getting the pr4 too should i change front too?
Hell yes! My Dunlop front had a decent amount of life in it, but there is no way that I'd mix the Dunlop/PR4. Profile, warmup, rain performance, etc are far too different (well, the profile may not be that different, but I definitely noticed a change in steering response). Also, I firmly believe that the PR4s are a fair bit stickier than the Dunlops (especially in the current cold temps) and I've always believed a rear stickier than a front is a bad combo asking for a crash.

FWIW, I was leaned over the other day coming out of a corner and pulled the front up as I was still straightening up the bike and accelerating. Part of that is the new Penske, but I'd have never ever considered it on the Dunlops.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Anybody who's bought a new harley can tell you about the garbage dunlop puts out!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I would probably get them swapped out sooner than later...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Hell, I never had a rear tire last more than 2500 miles. My PR4's have 2800 miles and they don't even look used. Obviously I'm not pushing hard enough.
+1 mine have 4000 miles and still look great

·
Registered
226 Posts
My rear Dunlop looks worse currently, and it's at about 4100 miles. It's to the point that it'll slip completely upright with enough of a twist from the right hand. I can't bring myself to change it just yet though since the sides have some life left and I keep meaning to get up the mountain a time or two.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I also just went from Dunlops to Michelin Pilot Road 4s. (The rear was squared-off and down to the wear bars at 2178 miles.)

The front had plenty of miles left, but I never trusted it... so I changed that one too. When I took the wheels in to MotoTireUSA Sue looked at the front: "Why are you changing this?" Looks at the sidewall. "Oh, Dunlop."

I really liked the PR3s on the SuperHawk, so I'm feeling good about these. Loved the feel & wet traction, and they've lasted significantly longer than other tires, especially on the back. And SuperHawks are hell on rear tires.

I've only been out on the PR4s once, on crappy roads, but I can say that I like the feel. May get out tomorrow for a bit...

·
Registered
883 Posts
I hate them too but not for tire wear, they just do not inspire confidence in the corners, cant wait to have Angel GTs on this bike. How are the guys who were lucky enough for their bikes to come with bridgestones liking them?
I had the same observation of the stock Dunlops; they just did not inspire confidence in many situations. They were fine tires on warm days in late spring last year, but cooler temperatures during the morning commute were a different story. Adjusting tire pressure downward helped a little, but not enough. My Pirelli Angel GT rear tire now has about 7,000 miles, and shortly afterward an Angel GT went on the front. The rear tire probably has another thousand miles of tread remaining, but its replacement just shipped so I'll have it in plenty of time.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Can you still ride it? Yes
Is it safe to do so? No

I've ridden several tires to the bone, and one got a puncture, that most likely wouldn't have occured if there was tread. That tire doesn't have much meat where it's worn.

5000 miles is not bad from a sport tire.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
think i should get free tires under warrenty only 5000 really?

View attachment 14608
There are no warranties premised on tire wear. A tire warranty is for manufacturers defects only. Like cupping, tread separating, etc. Warranties for tires are relatable to warranties for a clutch. Might as well go ahead and replace them. Call around for quotes. You can get most place to price match. I found Beach Blvd. Motorsports was the fairly reasonable for my PP3's.

·
Registered
127 Posts
what tire pressure did you have the tires set to? what kind of gauge are you using to set those tire pressures? do you do any 2 up riding? wheelies?

edit:

http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/6709-wheelie.html

you mentioned in this thread you have been trying to practice wheelies, so you have been throttling fairly hard and also that you weigh 260. your tires are going to wear out faster just because of those two factors which may also include some of the stuff i asked earlier

1 - 20 of 42 Posts