Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone find a good way to carry around visor cleaning wipes or anything? I'm looking for something that will fit under the seat or in my jacket without being too noticeable.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I carry one of these in a pocket on trips. I've had it forever... I don't refill it with anything special, just water.

Spray your visor down, scrub as necessary with sponge, wipe dry with squeegee.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I keep a quart freezer bag with a small bottle of Alcohol free AR formula Lens Cleaner (Walmart, free refills) and a Carl Zeiss large lens cloth under my seat. The only way to keep from scratching your shield is to spay, let it sit, then rub with your fingers to get the bugs to break up. Spray again and wipe. Do not use your fingernails. Don't forget to wash your hands. I use Novus 1 cleaner at the house.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I use safety glasses disposable wipes. I get them through work that the guys in the workshop will use. About 20 bucks for a box of 100 disposable wipes from my local commercial hardware/PPE/tool supplier. Fast drying, non streak, anti fog and non scratch. Also safe for cameras, tv screeens, phones etc. Any local commercial consumable, PPE and hardware supplier should have something very similar to these for purchase.

A box of these last me about a year. I keep a few in all my different weather jackets, and a few under the seat for emergencies. After cleaning the visor I use it to wipe the mirrors before disposing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use safety glasses disposable wipes. I get them through work that the guys in the workshop will use. About 20 bucks for a box of 100 disposable wipes from my local commercial hardware/PPE/tool supplier. Fast drying, non streak, anti fog and non scratch. Also safe for cameras, tv screeens, phones etc. Any local commercial consumable, PPE and hardware supplier should have something very similar to these for purchase.

A box of these last me about a year. I keep a few in all my different weather jackets, and a few under the seat for emergencies. After cleaning the visor I use it to wipe the mirrors before disposing.

I have problems with these ruining mirrored visors because they work too well at cleaning.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have problems with these ruining mirrored visors because they work too well at cleaning.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
I strongly suggest you do not use any cleaners that contain alcohols,ammonia or petrochemicals on polycarbonate visors.
Lens cleaners often have alcohol ingredients,glass cleaners have ammonia and household polishes have petrochemical solvents
These will seriously and invisibly weaken the visor.
And before anyone pipes up and says that they have used "x' that has alcohol in it ,for years, and it has been fine,my reply is that you won't notice the difference until something like a rock or a large bird penetrates your visor and takes an eye out.

Look for polycarbonate safe or Lexan safe markings on the package.

I think Novus 1 is ok so is 303 Protectant .I just use weak soap solution and a microfiber cloth.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I keep a quart freezer bag with a small bottle of Alcohol free AR formula Lens Cleaner (Walmart, free refills) and a Carl Zeiss large lens cloth under my seat. The only way to keep from scratching your shield is to spay, let it sit, then rub with your fingers to get the bugs to break up. Spray again and wipe. Do not use your fingernails. Don't forget to wash your hands. I use Novus 1 cleaner at the house.
I have a Transition shield on my Bell and wear Transition prescription glasses with Anti-glare coating, so I have learned what to use on coated lenses. Yes, I learned the hard way years ago. Walgreens does not carry Alcohol AR formula cleaner any more, so I go to Walmart. My wife uses an Iridium shield, same issue.

bug.jpg

·
Registered
833 Posts
what department do you find that lens cleaner? optical?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Damp microfiber towel in zippie throw in side pocekt of backpac works for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts