Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I posted here- still have the original FZ09, waiting on something good enough to replace it.

Till then, have run into some issues old bikes run into I think? Here's the context but not sure if they are connected:

About 2 months ago, I accidentally broke the tension screw under the right fork so had to get a new fork. I ordered a FJ09 fork after advice from Nick and Matt here.
I replace fork and carry on with life. I hear a popping sound from the front/underside of the bike as if I ran over some empty orange juice box- twice. A few weeks later, I find that the bearings have work out, the front wheel was wobbling and I had to replace the bearings. I replaced them on the rear too.

It has been about 2 weeks since the new bearings and today, I hear the popping sound again. Just like before, it seemed to come from under the front tire as if I ran over a empty OJ box...

This always happens at speed- not braking or stopping or lurching or any sudden movements. Every time I have been smoothly cruising at around 20-30 MPH on smooth roads and then POP! very loud and clear...

Any ideas if it's the bearings again? Some forums said could be steering head bearings? But sound seems to be from the ground level..any help would be appreciated. Bike is at 35000+ miles now.

TIA

·
Registered
33 Posts
That sure doesn't sound like the steering head bearings to me but I can't imagine how your new bearings are gone already unless them failing is just a symptom of another issue. Like a bent wheel, bent axle, improperly seated bearing, or just a cheap/defective replacement bearing.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wheel seems straight, axle too- there wasnt any fight from the wheel when replacing them. Everything fit fine, nothing caught. Maybe I need to tighten the axle bolt? I dont think the bearings themselves would fail the same way as the originals- must be something else. But then I didn't do the job on replacing the bearings. I may have to take the wheel apart again and see for myself...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And you are sure the original bearings were indeed replaced?
Oh yes. You should have seen the original bearings- everything just fell apart once i took off the wheel! I didn't even know that was possible but I guess worn bearings means they do slip out?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wheel seems straight, axle too- there wasnt any fight from the wheel when replacing them. Everything fit fine, nothing caught. Maybe I need to tighten the axle bolt? I dont think the bearings themselves would fail the same way as the originals- must be something else. But then I didn't do the job on replacing the bearings. I may have to take the wheel apart again and see for myself...
Well don't just blindly tighten the axle bolt. The service manual specifies the torque, I just don't recall what it is off the top. But it should be torqued as specified. If you over-torque it you run the risk of breaking or misaligning something.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I think its about 47 ft lbs- I am pretty sure I did use the right torque specs but will disassemble and assemble everything again...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts