Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I work par time for Lyndall Racing Brakes. We mostly make brakes for Harleys (I know most people don't race a Harley) however I hav seen a lot of reviews about the suspention an brakes on these bikes (FZ-09) I personally do have one and love it and I do some track and canyon riding. I don't think this bike "needs" better brakes but I can see how some people may like them. What I am proposing is a 320mm rotor kit. It would include front rotors, spacers for the caliper and longer bolts. Cost I will leave open but say out Harley floating rotors are I think $450 each.
The kicker I also that we make aluminum composit rotors, do one they disperse heat about 5 times faster (not that big of deal for most of is) but the unsprung weight savings is huge (as/if we move forward with this I can give a better number). Also not a huge priority but we may make a rear rotor to go along with it.
Just throughing this out there for now, we have a meeting Monday to see where we are at with Harley line.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I don't know that there will be a huge fz09 market BUT many fz09 brake parts are shared with the r6/r1/fz1/fz8 so if the fz09 has the same part as a r1 then it would be good for you to make a catalog listing for the fz09. If you had to make a new part for the fz09, it probably would not pay off because I doubt the numbers of demand are sufficient. I could be wrong.

For my fz09 I installed more aggressive pads, SSL lines and an r1 mastercylinder and that is enough at this point. total cost about $250.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
877 Posts
Okay so I work par time for Lyndall Racing Brakes. We mostly make brakes for Harleys (I know most people don't race a Harley) however I hav seen a lot of reviews about the suspention an brakes on these bikes (FZ-09) I personally do have one and love it and I do some track and canyon riding. I don't think this bike "needs" better brakes but I can see how some people may like them. What I am proposing is a 320mm rotor kit. It would include front rotors, spacers for the caliper and longer bolts. Cost I will leave open but say out Harley floating rotors are I think $450 each.
The kicker I also that we make aluminum composit rotors, do one they disperse heat about 5 times faster (not that big of deal for most of is) but the unsprung weight savings is huge (as/if we move forward with this I can give a better number). Also not a huge priority but we may make a rear rotor to go along with it.
Just throughing this out there for now, we have a meeting Monday to see where we are at with Harley line.
Various aftermarket rotors ranging from EBC to Brembo range from $ 300 to $ 500 a pair

I may have some interest in bronze sprayed aluminum or other light weight rotors.

Currently have 25 mm larger rotors on my 2 FZ 09's , now. ( EBC and Aprilia / Brembo )

·
Registered
877 Posts

Reactions: RockSlyde

·
Registered
151 Posts
I installed HH brake pads have not ridden the bike yet, but should do the trick

·
Registered
226 Posts
Installed the SS lines and HH pads. I like it better than stock, that's for sure. Two finger braking is standard now.
Personally, there's never too much brake. It's all easily modulated with the lever. I'm considering changing the master cylinder, but I don't yet have a way to replace the mirror that would be removed.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Compared to my SV these brakes feel amazing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
Stock brakes are amazing. The bike only weighs 188kg/415lb. No need IMO for bigger brakes.......unless your an overly large person.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't know that there will be a huge fz09 market BUT many fz09 brake parts are shared with the r6/r1/fz1/fz8 so if the fz09 has the same part as a r1 then it would be good for you to make a catalog listing for the fz09. If you had to make a new part for the fz09, it probably would not pay off because I doubt the numbers of demand are sufficient. I could be wrong.

For my fz09 I installed more aggressive pads, SSL lines and an r1 mastercylinder and that is enough at this point. total cost about $250.
This is the route I'm going as well. Where did you mount your reservoir for the MC, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Calipers and rotors are the same as the R-bikes.... Only differences are master bore size and pads. I dont feel a need to change them.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Nope. Like was stated earlier, there are other awesome rotor options for half your cost. But, these brakes are awesome for a sub $8000 bike.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
This is the route I'm going as well. Where did you mount your reservoir for the MC, if you don't mind me asking?

I made a bracket that connects the reservoir to the mirror mount out of a small piece of stainless steel sheet. Works great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts