Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts
I like a louder pipe because the stock one felt like it was holding the bike back.

I equate this to the new Camaro SS's. They are a sports car. They have 450+ horsepower. And when one passes you you'd swear it was a hybrid. I'm sure all the guys at Chevy designing this car didn't want it to be so quiet, but they had to comply with regulations.

I bought my FZ and after 5,000km's or so I just felt like it was a crazy sport bike with no sound. When I switched to a louder pipe I finally felt like this bike was complete. It finally sounds how it looks. Sometimes when you look at something you know how it should sound, and when it doesn't it just throws you off.

I never rev at a stoplight - I don't get the point, but there have been times where someone was merging into my lane and about to hit me and a quick rev got them to finally look around and see that they were a terrible driver about to hit someone.

On the other end of the spectrum, I bought a used 2007 CBR600rr and the Two Brothers pipe was so loud it reverberated my helmet as I rode. My head hurt. I went online and found someone selling the stock exhaust and put it on my bike. It was still a loud bike, but the volume was finally under control. I am not sure if I'm the only one who has actually returned an exhaust to stock, but the TB pipe was just obnoxious.

no snow flakes or safe space here.
on my fz09 2016, I remove the stock pipe and added a Delkevic pipe. yeah its loud and sounds awesome. Hearing the motor at all RPMs is very important to the way I ride.
burn rubber not your soul,,,,,:D

Okay, here we go again.

For all you guys who think revving your engine does anything useful in regards to your safety, I just have to ask one thing: Do you ever drive a vehicle? Because I drive a pickup truck, and when I'm stuck in traffic in my truck with the windows up and the radio on, and someone on a bike - or a car, for that matter - revs their engine with their "life-saving" loud pipes, I'll be damned if I can tell which direction it's coming from.

So if you think you're going to get someone's attention by red-lining your engine when you're approaching them, don't be surprised if you startle them into changing direction toward you instead of away from you.

Your best defense on the road is awareness and riding skill. Don't fool yourself into thinking that anyone in a car is going to hear your exhaust note and magically get out of your way. Always assume a car driver is going to do the wrong thing, and have an exit plan for every situation. (And if you have to make noise at someone, there's this thing called a "horn" that can sometimes work).
+1. :) I was going to mention the safety device that came with the bike from the factory...The horn. Seems to work for me. Either they move after hearing it or I evasively avoid them and blow the horn to let them know what they did.

Edit: Oops, got side tracked on the actual reason for this thread...Yes I like louder pipes that compliment the sound of the engine, motorcycle and/or steel cager. No I do not like obnoxiously loud pipes. IMHO.

Counting on louder pipes to save you? Sure! Much better than using skill and experience.
Using louder exhausts might actually cause a driver not to pull out in front of you, but so would shooting him. You cannot justify antisocial activity because it suits your desired outcome.

I like to hear a bike, but not be able to hear every bike in a 2 mile radius. It seems the more obnoxious the exhaust, the more likely they are to sit at a light revving it for no reason. My wife always asks, "why is he doing that", to which I respond, "so people will look at him":laughing8: Some people just love attention.

Reactions: 1216bandit
This is for all you guys that get a chubby over this sort of thing.

An aftermarket exhaust is necessary in my opinion, especially on a bike like the FZ. Sometimes a loud rev is an easier and quicker way to warn drivers than reaching for the horn (which sounds pathetic on the FZ anyways)... Stock exhaust on the FZ is too quiet for safety in my opinion.

Had "slightly loud" pipes on my XVS1300. Not loud enough to get dirty looks... just enough to make my tinnitus worse even today as I type this.

Throw in some AC/DC competing for attention through the factory stereo speakers, and it's a wonder I can still hear at all.

Never again. Stock exhaust from now on, with earplugs on longer rides.

There is a difference between loud and noisy pipes for me. One has to define loud. Some of the Harleys is just plain noisy... it sounds CRAP!! Then there are loud pipes that do sound "pleasant".... My MT 09 has a full Akro unbaffled ... it is loud but not noisy... just sweet music!

There is a difference between loud and noisy pipes for me. My MT 09 has a full Akro unbaffled ... it is loud but not noisy... just sweet music!
I must say that noisy is a relative term. There was a time I loved my Bandit with pod filters and Yosh RS3 oval can. The intake honk was intoxicating. No more though. And I will say, riding all day behind a rider with a "noisy" exhaust is draining.

I must say that noisy is a relative term. There was a time I loved my Bandit with pod filters and Yosh RS3 oval can. The intake honk was intoxicating. No more though. And I will say, riding all day behind a rider with a "noisy" exhaust is draining.
Agreed for sure!! But a bike making sweet music... Some evenings I hear a bike on the highway ... with a QS - not load and not soft... just right... In 10 years time I may start to complain about this LOL:!!

An awesome loud sound is an important part of the bike experience for me. That and the acceleration are pretty much equal.
I will put my hands up - I love the pops and crackles. I had it on my Speed Triple R with a lowboy arrow exhaust and on my RS3.
Both now sold and I miss it.
However, am getting my new bike ECU'd on Saturday and I will - this time - choose the flash option keep the AIS on which prevents the bangs.
It will be loud enough with an Akra with baffles out.

Revving at a stop. I LOVE the sound of the bike. It's lovely to hear that engine roar but I might do it only once or twice and not every time. Only a quick blip , honest.

Actually, I have had a Staintune/Remus exhaust can on almost every bike I've owned. Love that sound.

But on this MT-09 RedHead, I'll keep it stock - because I LOVE hearing the sound of the intake sucking every bit of air it can upon opening the Throttle.

I can't get enough of it.

I am old enough to remember the late 60's & 70's when a fella could reverse the air intake lid to get more air to the engine.

That same sound of mill sucking air in was just as addictive then as it is now.

YMMV

Actually, I have had a Staintune/Remus exhaust can on almost every bike I've owned. Love that sound.

But on this MT-09 RedHead, I'll keep it stock - because I LOVE hearing the sound of the intake sucking every bit of air it can upon opening the Throttle.

I can't get enough of it.

I am old enough to remember the late 60's & 70's when a fella could reverse the air intake lid to get more air to the engine.

That same sound of mill sucking air in was just as addictive then as it is now.

YMMV
Strange, I can't say I have even ever heard this on my MT-09. Maybe you are just more tuned to it.

The best intake sound I ever had, by far, was on my beloved Lancia Delta Integrale Evo2 - Sounded like a jet engine spooling up.
My mate when next to me in his car said it sounded mad as I passed him - like all air in the universe is being sucked into the engine.
Damn, I miss that baby.

Reactions: hANNAbONE
41 - 60 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.