Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts
Losers

You should buy a bike that is fast enough with a stock pipe! Putting a louder pipe on a street motorcycle is about as effective as sanding off the paint to make it lighter. You weasels need to learn to ride the bike you have better, not try to bolt on skill. You're all bunch of gullible dupes. And stay offa my lawn!

And you Harley folks: It won't be fast no matter what you do to it......

"Loud pipes save lives." Really? You know, the deaf folks drive. The blind do not. You don't HEAR accidents coming. You SEE them. Sound doesn't enter into it.

You should buy a bike that is fast enough with a stock pipe! Putting a louder pipe on a street motorcycle is about as effective as sanding off the paint to make it lighter. You weasels need to learn to ride the bike you have better, not try to bolt on skill. You're all bunch of gullible dupes. And stay offa my lawn!

And you Harley folks: It won't be fast no matter what you do to it......

"Loud pipes save lives." Really? You know, the deaf folks drive. The blind do not. You don't HEAR accidents coming. You SEE them. Sound doesn't enter into it.

GOOD first post..... welcome aboard.

Less than .5% of the world is deaf, so odds of encountering them on the road is far less likely than encountering people who can hear.

If you have ever driven a motorcycle with, and without a loud exhaust, you'd instantly see a difference.

The car about to pull out an 1/8 mile a ahead suddenly stops pulling out and takes a second look when you blip the throttle, and people stop changing lanes into you. It's truly amazing.

Is it a hard and fast rule that people are always going to hear you coming? Of course not. But you're crazy of you think it makes no difference at all.

We use all our senses when we navigate public roads.

Less than .5% of the world is deaf, so odds of encountering them on the road is far less likely than encountering people who can hear.

If you have ever driven a motorcycle with, and without a loud exhaust, you'd instantly see a difference.

The car about to pull out an 1/8 mile a ahead suddenly stops pulling out and takes a second look when you blip the throttle, and people stop changing lanes into you. It's truly amazing.

Is it a hard and fast rule that people are always going to hear you coming? Of course not. But you're crazy of you think it makes no difference at all.

Amen brother. If we didn't use all our senses we would already be pancakes on the shoulder or over the guardrail...

My 2 cents - Hearing (Cager) versus listening (Biker) - opinion based, spoiler alert, lol

Listening (Biker) to a bike while riding, is a complete sensation. You "feel" the motor, you feel the brake, you feel the tires gripping the road as you push through the twisty roads, people see you (sometimes), you shift your gears to the full potential to maximize the fun you are about to have. Should I go on....

Hearing - A person that drives a vehicle (Cager) that hears something coming or going. Someone that doesn't know how to drive a stick shift that just travels from point A to get to point B or C or D. These are the people that do not pay attention, that "hear" annoying sounds and complain about them. Something they don't understand, might as well hate things you do not understand, right? That is human nature.... F that!!!

Sorry about my ramble, I went off subject, where was I? I haven't had coffee

RIDE ON

Reactions: thrstrmech

well his name is old and cranky ( or shaky) what would you expect. LOL probably shakes his cane at every Harley that rides by his nursing home.

I really hate the noise, actually any vehicle noise... jake brakes are the worst though. I wish we could close our ears like we can close our eyes....ear lids! I know I could put in ear plugs or ear noise control headset and often do use those aides.
they suck even worse when you forget it is on and you let off the throttle in a quad axle dump. (I have no actual experience of doing that ever, really I don't LOL)

There might be very few people who are deaf, but how many people don't listen or even worst, don't pay attention? lol.

This is one of the best write ups I have read on the subject of load pipes, it's long so I won't copy it on here, but here is the link.

https://shop.revzilla.com/common-tread/stop-saying-loud-pipes-save-lives

One thing people seem to forget is that most modern cars are insulated to block out road noise better. Some new vehicles even have noise cancelling stereo systems to reduce road noise even more.

Which is worse? Loud exhaust or loud bass from vehicles? Sitting at stop lights, parking lots, gas stations. Just letting the vehicle run, all windows down, crappy music even sounds crappier with every joint on the car rattling like a tin can... Loud exhaust I can handle,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the sound of many pipes on the market. But I have ridden with some folks that just an embarrassingly loud (obnoxiously so). I hate that. For the sake of full disclosure, I've put put on some full exhausts and a few slip-ons since my (new at the time) '86 FZ600. It had a Yoshimura exhaust on it. It was fairly loud but sounded sweet as fook. I have yet to put an exhaust or slip-on on my 2017 '09. I will, eventually.

But to say that loud pipes saves lives - I don't buy into that. Does it make you more obvious? Yes, in certain circumstances. I tend to think it pisses more people off than anything. Luckily I don't give a crap what most people think!

NOT TOO LOUD! I think a little growl is fine but lots of riders get carried away with it. Harleys sound like old farm tractors when they discard the mufflers. I was out walking my 1 year old grandson on my street, country road, and 8 Harley riders blasted by with throttles wide open. The little guy started cry and you could see he was in pain and so was I for that matter. The louder the bike is the more safe it is is just BS. They saw me walking a kid a still throttled up. NO F'in CONSIDERATION!

When I see (and hear) the douche nozzles revving the snot out of their insanely loud bike, be it 'Murican or sport, I think what my wife says when she sees the 70 year old in a new Corvette: "So sorry about your penis!"
Geez whats wrong with an Older Guy working his ass off his whole life and then treating himself to a new Vette? /forum/images/smilies/confused.png

I dont like insanely loud pipes either , but the biggest problem is indeed the reving. If its loud , but you are not sitting there reving it for no reason, I have no issues. Car or Bike.
I put 3k miles on my FZ with the stock exhaust. I must say now with the Graves it is so much more satisfying to ride and hearing that triple speak. Not even a question.

Reactions: Moto26
I can always respect a nice quality exhaust. Exhaust has always been the first mod i've done to my bikes and got the SC project on my MT 09 and yes it is loud, but it is a very good loud, yes I wear ear plugs now but I love it. Revving at cagers is nice to let them know you're there but the idiots bouncing it off the rev limiter for no reason is very annoying...

Does it save lives? I don't know, sure you can be heard but in a situation where a car cuts you off or pulls out in front of you, which would you rather do, get on the brakes or rev bomb and then brakes? Personally i'm all about reaction and perception time so i'd rather get on the brakes then rev at the idiots.

This has been on here before but it still conveys the message.

Reactions: HunterSon
Okay, here we go again.

For all you guys who think revving your engine does anything useful in regards to your safety, I just have to ask one thing: Do you ever drive a vehicle? Because I drive a pickup truck, and when I'm stuck in traffic in my truck with the windows up and the radio on, and someone on a bike - or a car, for that matter - revs their engine with their "life-saving" loud pipes, I'll be damned if I can tell which direction it's coming from.

So if you think you're going to get someone's attention by red-lining your engine when you're approaching them, don't be surprised if you startle them into changing direction toward you instead of away from you.

Your best defense on the road is awareness and riding skill. Don't fool yourself into thinking that anyone in a car is going to hear your exhaust note and magically get out of your way. Always assume a car driver is going to do the wrong thing, and have an exit plan for every situation. (And if you have to make noise at someone, there's this thing called a "horn" that can sometimes work).

I run the stock pipes with an ECU tune and am waiting for an affordable electric motorcycle with range. 'Nuff said.

I’ve seen it a couple of times and done it twice myself. I’ve watched people start to move over into our lane and just a quick rev, doesn’t have to be off the limiter, gets their attention and they move back until we pass.

But just to sit and rev at stops is annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.