Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
on my Harley I have louder than stock pipes but they are not full open ear shattering pipes. I have had a lot of compliments from non riders on the sound.

on my FZ pipes are stock and will probably remain that way

·
Registered
120 Posts
That poll does not have enough choices... I like a little louder pipe. Some of the ones out there I've heard a just ridiculous loud. Not sure why but I get embarrassed to be near them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That poll does not have enough choices... I like a little louder pipe. Some of the ones out there I've heard a just ridiculous loud. Not sure why but I get embarrassed to be near them.
I was on the patio at the pub the other day (in a strip mall type complex where there are concrete walls everywhere to resonate sound) and some douche canoe gets on his straight piped s1000rr and starts bouncing it off the rev limiter. The entire patio started booing him, it was great. All of our ears were ringing for a while after

·
Registered
438 Posts
I dont mind the loud pipes, it's the revving at the light that annoys the shit out of me lol. No offense to harley riders, but it seems like 100% of them do this at a light. What gives lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think excessively loud exhausts sound terrible on anything and I hold as much contempt for obnoxious bikes as I do for guys who want to put Cherry Bombs on their cars. I think about the way my dad's Mustang GT sounded. Loud enough to appreciate it, you could easily hear music over it, even with the top down, and it still had a nice, deep V-8 rumble.

As far as my FZ goes, I think it's plenty loud enough. Like I said earlier, I appreciate a deep, throaty engine sound, though. If I could drop the sound an octave or two, I'd be very happy.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I dont mind the loud pipes, it's the revving at the light that annoys the shit out of me lol. No offense to harley riders, but it seems like 100% of them do this at a light. What gives lol.
It's to help their Harley's from stalling, lol.

+1 guys who rev the engine at stop light are idiots, and guys who bounce the rpm's off the rev limiters are complete morons.

harley.jpg

Or is it because they are deaf???

·
Super Moderator
5,613 Posts
Here's a quote for y'all.........

"If Loud pipes save lives, just imagine what learning to ride the thing would do!"

PS.....I have to give credit to PJ's Parts store for coming up with that, as they sell (or did sell) an orange T-Shirt with that saying on it!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I like loud exhausts, but I don't like the tickets that go along with clearly broadcasting your throttle inputs to everyone in a mile radius. I could care less about the noise pollution, though.

Sometimes I would like to be able to rev at people to get their attention.

·
Super Moderator
3,997 Posts
I have to say cruiser riders that wallow away, at ear splitting sound levels, from every restaurant, gas station, stop sign, etc. really pisses me off and I'm a rider. It's just infantile. Imagine what it does for the average citizen? I do not have an aftermarket exhaust on the FZ09. I run the same roads in the mountains dozens of times a year and quite often alone. So I would be an easy target for retribution. I don't want to anger the locals, who may just decide to throw a bag of kitty litter in the middle of that tight/blind downhill turn just to express their displeasure with motorcycles drowning out the serenity of their rural fortresses.

Hell, I want to get vocal with the OCD neighbor that dusts his driveway with a blower...every day at 6:30pm.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Loud pipes?

A means of compensating for some other deficiency.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Motorcycle.com is actually paid advertising and you will find this same thread on all the Forums owned by VerticalScope.

FZ09.ORG is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. of Toronto, Ontario.

VerticalScope - Driven by Enthusiasts

VerticalScope.com
Well that explains why I never noticed it was paid advertisemnt - it's not - we were both right - motorcycle.com is part of VerticalScope ;)

"Yamaha FZ-09 Forum: A Motorcycle.com Community
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum is a part of the Motorcycle.com network of professionally managed motorcycle enthusiast communities. It is the ultimate motorcycle resource for consumers with discussions ranging from advice on which motorcycle to buy, to the latest part and modification for tuning-up the hottest bikes. It is owned and operated by VerticalScope, an established leader in consumer-generated media, and on the cutting-edge of Powersports media."

VerticalScope.com

·
Registered
890 Posts
I like loud exhausts, but I don't like the tickets that go along with clearly broadcasting your throttle inputs to everyone in a mile radius. I could care less about the noise pollution, though.

Sometimes I would like to be able to rev at people to get their attention.
Agreed. Every time I hear a loud exhaust fly by, I always turn to look at what it was. And I actually like the high pitch, F1 type exhaust notes more than the bassy low rumble types. My last 3 bikes had full FMF exhausts and they were loud.
That said, I'm on the fence at the moment about which exhaust to go with for the exact reason you mentioned. The open exhausts broadcast your every intention to the cops. So I might be keeping a DB killer on the exhaust I eventually get for the FZ.
Normally it would have been done by now, but we spent a ton of money on last xmas's family vacation and a couple other bigger ticket items have been purchased, etc.. Hell, had a root canal today, so there goes another grand that could've gone into the bike.

I hate when life gets in the way of me having fun....LOL
At least I have the bike !!!

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
In my neighborhood the sounds of a screaming 600cc sportbike annoy the shit out of all of us.
However it only lasts for a few days and then it is replaced by another wailing 600 that always sounds a bit different.
A solution as to why that is was quite simple.
These bikes only last a few days because they either get wrecked, blown up or the real owner finds it!
I call it "self cleaning".

·
Registered
89 Posts
I live in a rural area, even if loud pipes don't always get other motorist's attention, they sure as shit scare off wildlife; that would have crossed the road otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 75 Posts