Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent last weekend enjoying some seriously nice weather at Pocono. Rode the 'Inside' track for the first time. This is a 1.37-mile combination of 'south' and 'east' that doesn't make any use of the tri-oval (read: a good thing - no ugly transitions). The verdict? AWESOME!

As I've alluded to recently, Pocono is under new management who took a serious approach to rectifying the existing tracks' deficiencies. The tarmac is brand new with nary a patch or tar snake. The curbing is brand new and run off is pretty good (except for one area on the 'east' course). For anyone in the northeast, you owe it to yourself to get out here. There were no moto track days for a few years there while the track lay in ruins, but they're back better than ever. Of course, this all comes at a cost. Cars bring in the big money and the few year hiatus put a hurtin' on marketing (or lack thereof). As a result, turn out has been low. Bottom line, and speaking very selfishly, we need more people to turn out for these events so Pocono doesn't cater solely to cars. Without us, there are no motorcycle track days. Feel free to sign up via Home » Team Pro-Motion . And no, we are in no way affiliated with TPM...just a great organization to ride with. A SAFE organization to ride with...

There are still a few days left this year to sign up for. I urge you to consider it. For now, here is a little video from Sunday. After multiple Go Pro failures, you're stuck watching only a portion of the last session of the day. I always roll easy during the last session to avoid ruining a good day, but hopefully the video jazzes you up a bit to get out there. The 7/19 track day is on the same course configuration.

:cool:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Spent last weekend enjoying some seriously nice weather at Pocono. Rode the 'Inside' track for the first time. This is a 1.37-mile combination of 'south' and 'east' that doesn't make any use of the tri-oval (read: a good thing - no ugly transitions). The verdict? AWESOME!

As I've alluded to recently, Pocono is under new management who took a serious approach to rectifying the existing tracks' deficiencies. The tarmac is brand new with nary a patch or tar snake. The curbing is brand new and run off is pretty good (except for one area on the 'east' course). For anyone in the northeast, you owe it to yourself to get out here. There were no moto track days for a few years there while the track lay in ruins, but they're back better than ever. Of course, this all comes at a cost. Cars bring in the big money and the few year hiatus put a hurtin' on marketing (or lack thereof). As a result, turn out has been low. Bottom line, and speaking very selfishly, we need more people to turn out for these events so Pocono doesn't cater solely to cars. Without us, there are no motorcycle track days. Feel free to sign up via Home » Team Pro-Motion . And no, we are in no way affiliated with TPM...just a great organization to ride with. A SAFE organization to ride with...

There are still a few days left this year to sign up for. I urge you to consider it. For now, here is a little video from Sunday. After multiple Go Pro failures, you're stuck watching only a portion of the last session of the day. I always roll easy during the last session to avoid ruining a good day, but hopefully the video jazzes you up a bit to get out there. The 7/19 track day is on the same course configuration.

:cool:

Have you been down to the TPM day at the Millville, NJ course? Not terribly far from Bangor, PA. Might be worth the day trip... I am considering signing up, looks like great fun.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ditto to all that Nick had to say about keeping track days at Pocono. I am limited to Sundays because of work and would gladly spend the money to go every day that Team Pro Motion was at this track if I could. If you live anywhere close to the track you should sign up. The group is very safety oriented, there were only 3 incidents on Sunday. All of the riders walked away with only bumps and bruises. If you haven't been on a track before you sign up for the ART (Advanced Rider Training) course to learn about track riding and the instructors are great.

This is my contribution to the video of this course. Lots of fun and just flat out freedom to use our bikes the way they were meant to be used.

·
Vendor
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you been down to the TPM day at the Millville, NJ course? Not terribly far from Bangor, PA. Might be worth the day trip... I am considering signing up, looks like great fun.
Yes, I've done a few days there, and I'm planning to be on-site on 8/2 and 8/3. I prefer Thunderbolt over Lightning, but still...Pocono wins my heart!

Edit: Aside from being close to home, Pocono wasn't always my favorite. Track conditions weren't on par over years past...but the facilities, track layout(s), and surface conditions are fantastic these days.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes, I've done a few days there, and I'm planning to be on-site on 8/2 and 8/3. I prefer Thunderbolt over Lightning, but still...Pocono wins my heart!

Edit: Aside from being close to home, Pocono wasn't always my favorite. Track conditions weren't on par over years past...but the facilities, track layout(s), and surface conditions are fantastic these days.
What organization are you riding with at NJMP on 8/2&3? I've been looking to get back out there and also up to Pocono for some time now. That weekend could fit into the schedule, possibly... and then I'll see about Pocono next!

·
Vendor
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The weather finally cooperated this year and we ran S/E this past weekend (2 previous dates have been cancelled due to low attendance). It monsooned pretty heavily on the way to the track and the day started in a heavy fog. The track was more or less dry by the second session and the weather improved from there.

Brought the FZ-09, but left it on the trailer and focused instead on the CBR. The day was good, but took a while to get in the groove. Fresh brakes and tires on the first session, and ergonomically, the CBR is much different than the FZ. Took some getting used to, but comfort came as the day progressed. Now I just need to figure out the 140 mph wheel balance issue and work on dropping from 4th to 2nd on the back straight. The lack of a slipper clutch really woke me up after a botched blip (plus, more engine braking than I'm accostomed to)! The new ride puts me at redline in 4th right at my braking point entering the chicane. There's a lot of speed to be shed while working through the quick L-R-L without losing too much steam. And obviously, timing the downshifts properly to avoid over-revving is key. In a perfect world, I'd probably regear the bike for this track. But that ain't happening...

unnamed1.jpg

All those days on the FZ kept my head high, so I need to work on bringing my head down more, but otherwise, the bike felt good for me. Rearsets work well with leg positioning and provide great ground clearance. Clipons allow me to rest my arm comfortably on the tank. All in all, it was a great time at the track.

For anyone on the fence, there are two more dates this year with TPM at Pocono! 8/29 on FUSA and another S/E date the first week of September. Come on out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts