Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sent my ECU to Dave and am wondering if it is recommended to change plugs and install a high flow filter for the flash? I have 6500 miles on my bike so it's not time for either but is it a good idea to do this now to take full advantage of the flash? I have already de-snorkled the air box and cut the front tank cover as was suggested by Dave. Any other items to take care of while my bike is in a comma and I have easy access to most things?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I put in a bmc filter when I cut out the snorkel on the air box. I had revzilla bucks to spend so it was the same price as a K&N filter. As to weather it gives you any more hp its hard to tell because I did both mods. at the same time. It feels like it has more top end

torque above 7000 rpms. but below that I don't feel any difference. Hey if Dave & kevxtx did it why not they haven't given me any bad products or advice! I haven't done plugs yet,My buddy who has a race car says I should try those iridium plugs. What plugs were you going to get?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just using the same plugs as stock. I was able to get a set shipped for around $11.50 so I snatched them up so I would have them when the time came. The stock filter seems to be well made and still looks pretty clean after 6500 miles. If there really is no good reason from a performance perspective then I'll just wait until replacement time and consider a reusable filter just for the ease of maintenance. I would imagine that the long stock interval would be shortened substantially with a modded air box. More flow usually means more dirt.

·
Registered
806 Posts
OK I'm not going to change my plugs till this winter. I only have 4500 miles on it so I'm going to wait.

·
Registered
514 Posts
FWIW, if I was in there, I'd put in Iridium plugs. They don't do anything power wise, but both of my dirt bikes (4T and 2T) run smoother -- especially my 500 4T.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
wondering if it is recommended to change plugs
When it comes to bikes, we (myself included) always over do it. As a point of reference, I just changed the plugs in my son's Toyota Corolla with 128,000 miles, and essentially the plugs looked very very good. Probably would have gone another 100K miles. Just saying...

·
Vendor
1,507 Posts
neither are really needed, with modern ignitions plug changes are pretty far between

I would replace the stock filter with an aftermarket when it needs replacing. Performance gains between a clean stock filter and an aftermarket are minimal, benefits of the aftermarket is they flow better then the stock when they get dirty and they can be cleaned

1 - 7 of 7 Posts