Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've seen quite a bit of talk regarding the fitting of other brand shocks to the FZ/MT, but was there any that just slotted in with no modification and gave better results than the standard one? Also I don't really want to upset the bike by having standard suspension up front and something else on the rear, would it matter?

I'm not incapable of modding one (I'm an engineer) BUT I don't really like the idea of doing it, plugging holes and reboring them is not the safest way to do things and at the end of the day if it fails I could be killed.

Just for info, I scraped my Akra on a normal seemingly smooth road at the bottom of a hill doing around 50mph, just me on board and the rear shock was almost maxxed out on settings, so not really sure how it happened tbh but I think I better do something about it before I get hurt.

At this stage I'm not willing to spend out on after market suspension because A) I shouldnt have to on a new bike, and B) I'm in the middle of a house move so can't afford it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
165 Posts
You shouldn't have to, but you do because the OE shock is crap.

In the UK the Nitron Sport is the best spec for the money. Maxton produce a shock with a better spec for more cash. Both have the preload adjuster at the bottom end of the spring so it can be adjusted with it on the bike.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The zx6rr shock only need the existing hole on the clevis enlarged on one side. Could easily be dont with a vise and hand drill. I dont know of any that just bolt up directly but they may be out there. My bike was greatly improved with just the rear shock, but yes its even better now with the front springs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Depending on your weight you should make a selection for the shock spring.

The zx6rr shock has a stiffer spring than the ZX6r shock and both shocks are very close to the correct length of 330mm. ZX6rr spring is ok for riders up to 200 ish lbs. Many people on this board have used these shocks with great results for the value.

I am a proky rider at 235lbs. and looked around for a shock that would be a easy swap and found that the 2003 Hayabusa shock is spring for a heavier bike and works awesome as it was high tech and expensive shock for its day in 2003. I just swapped it today and the first riding impressions are that it is a brand new bike and handles awesome for my weight. The bike handles well now and I am excited to install new front fork springs to complete the package. The only mod to the shock was drilling out the clevis to 12mm and removal of the charcoal canister on the gas tank evap system.

The zx12r shock is another option if you are a heavier rider as it is sprung and valved for the heavier bike.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Following RipGroove's question in the OP, but from a different angle.

Are there any decent shocks out there (taken off other sport bikes) that don't require trimming any of the plastic parts under the tank?
I guess they'll have to be without that additional piggyback reservoir.

I don't mind drilling a larger hole into a 50$ shock that I bought off Ebay, but I don't want to go modifying/cutting my new bike...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The ZX10 Shock from several prior years is supposedly a near perfect fit.....

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
2008 2009 2010 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10 rear shock with the reservoir mounted on the bottom. I installed mine yesterday and all I had to do was drill the rear shock bolt hole larger (12mm). All three shock adjustments are easily accessible installed. I should have installed it when the bike was new! :color: :cool: :color:

·
Registered
149 Posts
2008 2009 2010 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10 rear shock with the reservoir mounted on the bottom. I installed mine yesterday and all I had to do was drill the rear shock bolt hole larger (12mm). All three shock adjustments are easily accessible installed. I should have installed it when the bike was new! :color: :cool: :color:
When you say on the bottom, do you mean near the rear wheel, or do you mean near the fuel tank but facing down towards the road?
Pics please

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Check out this Mfg (based in CA) of Shocks, etc.:

image.jpg

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
239 Posts
When you say on the bottom, do you mean near the rear wheel, or do you mean near the fuel tank but facing down towards the road?
Pics please
Sorry for not being more clear. The shock reservoir mounted under the tank facing the ground. :color: :cool: :color:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sorry for not being more clear. The shock reservoir mounted under the tank facing the ground. :color: :cool: :color:
Could you please take a pic showing it from a couple of sides?
I'm seriously contemplating one of these shocks...

·
Registered
149 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts