Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Anyone able to find a plug and play USB charger for the 2021 MT-09 that works with the existing wiring inside the headlight unit?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
72 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
That's cool someone actually made a kit.

If the 2021 was anything like the previous 2 generations, that AUX plug has a 'dummy' plug on it. That dummy plug will accept pins. I simply just pulled the rubber caps out of the end and pinned it with two wires I spliced into my USB plug.

Total cost like $0.50. :)

·
Registered
Batmobile
861 Posts
I've been wondering for a while if I could pin those plugs, I've been wanting to add some LED's for better visibility at night.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I've been wondering for a while if I could pin those plugs, I've been wanting to add some LED's for better visibility at night.
Yeah, just get the caps out the back and Bob's your auntie.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
You are looking for a 2 Way Sumitomo MT Receptacle Connector. I wired mine for SAE connectors so that I can plug into a tank bag or just use a battery tender USB adapter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ordered the genuine Yamaha one. Pricey I know but I didn't want to go splicing wires. I saw pics one installed on FB and thought it looked nice and neat. It's a very easy install. The only issue is having to drill the bracket with a 10mm drill so the lug that holds the dash on can fit through to secure it.
Any questions hit me up. Happy to help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
72 Posts
Hey, do you know if there's a 1A version for sale somewhere? Couldn't find one with my obviously poor searching abilities. Ha ha. All are 2A, like yours... but one photo on that eBay listing shows the option for 1A, so hopefully somebody carries it. Thank you.
Cant say I've seen one. what's wrong with 2 Amps? most phones wont ever draw peak current

·
Registered
234 Posts
My old iPhone6S requires 1A, but since I almost always have it fully charged, it shouldn't be a big deal. If it's discharged, battery could overheat using 2A, as stated in manual. And yes, most phones nowadays use 2A, and even 3. Refuse to pay a grand to replace a phone that is working perfectly fine :).

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
72 Posts
My old iPhone6S requires 1A, but since I almost always have it fully charged, it shouldn't be a big deal. If it's discharged, battery could overheat using 2A, as stated in manual. And yes, most phones nowadays use 2A, and even 3. Refuse to pay a grand to replace a phone that is working perfectly fine :).
Your phone will never draw current higher than your phone is requesting. its internal charging circuitry is designed this way. The 2A charger will be perfectly safe to use with an IPhone 6s

·
Registered
738 Posts
If it's discharged, battery could overheat using 2A, as stated in manual.
I'm not sure this is right. It is not the source that "pushes" two amps down the devices throat. It's the device that asks for amperage. So if your charger is rated for 10 amps, but your device only requires 1amp, that's all that will go to device.

The problem is the reverse, if a device requires 10amps but the source is only rated for 2amps, there will be overcurrent and the source will most likely fail if it does not have protection circuitry.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
919 Posts
That's cool someone actually made a kit.

If the 2021 was anything like the previous 2 generations, that AUX plug has a 'dummy' plug on it. That dummy plug will accept pins. I simply just pulled the rubber caps out of the end and pinned it with two wires I spliced into my USB plug.

Total cost like $0.50. :)
This is exactly what I did, but my plug fried when we got poured on at the ECR. Have a new plug just need to swap them out.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
This is exactly what I did, but my plug fried when we got poured on at the ECR. Have a new plug just need to swap them out.
Oh yeh. Forgot you had an issue. So it was the plug? Didn’t pop the 5A fuse, or whatever it is.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
919 Posts
Oh yeh. Forgot you had an issue. So it was the plug? Didn’t pop the 5A fuse, or whatever it is.
Yeah the plug just quit working, but I don't blame it for the amount of water it got subjected to. The fuse never blew.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I had a 3amp USB port connected direct to my battery. Water got in... it got corroded... yet never blew the 5amp fuse. Didn't work either. Again, if device don't ask for more, no more will flow. So the port set at x amp won't blow below x amp. Corrosion doesn't draw any more than the circuit allows... the fuse won't blow. Only when a device asks for more, will there be an over flow event and blown fuse.

A short will allow all the batteries current to flow... and blow a fuse.

Any modern device in the market now has some kind of impedance to protect over flow.

The water flow analogy works here... city water pressure is high... but when it arrives at your house, the pressure that your pipes can take is much lower... when a pipe bursts in your house, you don't get the same force of water as when someone bursts a fire hydrant.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
72 Posts
Where did you route the wire from? It looks very clean
When I installed it, the only place I could find was cover the headlight cowl.

if there is a better way I would like to try that :)

Thanks.

View attachment 167478
i placed the fuse box directly under the headlight and then exited the spot you have circled. then used the supplied zip ties to attach to the back of the handlebar riser

Charger Install

1 - 20 of 21 Posts