Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Please view video my fz 09 rides poorly and mechanics won't help

6K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  ronnyek 
#1 ·
YouTube video "fz 09 steady speed noise". Hi to all, I am having a tough time proving to mechanics that my fz 09 is not running at its best. I purchased the vehicle in July 2014 and from the beginning it has had issues maintaining steady speeds in the 2000 to 4000 rpm range. The bike hesitates and stutters when maintaining a steady speed in that rev range. I use the bike as a commuter and often find myself driving in traffic at steady speds and experience a rasping scraping rubbing engine bubbling sound associated with hesitation and stuttering especially when the engine temp is under 160 Fahrenheit and the weather is colder and damp. I have had various service managers drive the bike in the attempt to have them pin point what issee my fz is having but to no avail. The answer has been that it is ok and I should just ride it as is since there is nothing wrong with it. I have recorded a video trying to prove my point and would greatly appreciate any suggestions. The audio quality does not capture some of the most worrisome rasping sounds but definitively gives a good idea of the hesitation at steady speeds.
Please check out the video posted on YouTube titled "fz 09 steady speed noise" and leave a comment to let me know what you think.
I feel like I got a "bad"apple and mechanics have not been able to help.
Please any help is appreciated

See less See more
#5 ·
Absolutely nothing to see on the "video".....sound only. As suggested above, make SURE that the 2014 has had the Yamaha ECU reflash done. Also check for excessive play in the throttle cable and the chain adjustment. Stock, the bike is very difficult to ride smoothly unless you are proficient with the right hand and your throttle control. Those things are what I would try first.

#6 ·
Ya that thing can be a bit rough in those RPM. Here's your options...

1. Yamaha Reflash (free)
2. Vcyclenuts reflash ($80.00)
3. Fuel controller to fix lean area and smooth out throttle response
4. Kev O2 sensor offset

If you are interested in a EJK fuel controller I have a few left, I'll get you a killer deal.

#8 ·
Also check for excessive play in the throttle cable ............post number 5.

F-zee.........I agree, that simple process was huge in smoothing out the throttle on the FZ

#9 ·
Hi to everyone. I apologize but yes it is indeed only audio and the quality is not good enough to actually pick up the most worrisome sounds. The bike has had all services and all recalls done(cct,reflash and headlight). Main drive chain is well serviced on a regular basis (every 500-700 miles). The sound is a mix of bad drive chain/sprockets and bubbling of bad fueling all coming primarily from the right side. It only manifests at steady speeds in that range and is predominant when the engine temp is below 150 Fahrenheit.

#21 ·
I think you are hearing things.

It is fine.

Like others have said, adjust the throttle cable to minimize the throttle play. This is a lot tighter than recommended by the factory, but it gets rid of a lot of the throttle "delay"

#10 ·
I hate that we can't find one single mechanic to take care of these problems. I couldn't get mine to do the ECU reflash and no chance so far to find another one. Mine make the same noise from the right side and I am learning to deal with it until I find someone who I trust and not careless, like all the other Certified Mechanics(yeah right) I've seen.
Good luck

#11 · (Edited)
don't know what bikes you've owned before, but the 09's engine is noisy in general. more so when it's not fully warmed up - cam chain tensioner will be noisier and i've noticed that bubbling sound as well. the noises don't bother me as i've owned and ridden lots of naturally noisy bikes, the 09's got 10k problem free miles and i wear earplugs.

the surging at 2000-4000 rpm is also normal, but the degree to which it happens can vary from bike to bike. it's due to the fuel injection going into closed loop mode and leaning out the fuel mixture to reduce emissions. the side effect is that it wrecks drivability.

kev's o2 controller mod will fix this, it's plug and play:
http://www.fz09.org/forum/14-fz-09-performance-suspension/5803-02-controller.html

it makes such a noticeable difference that i'd even go so far as to say that this is a must-have mod for anyone that uses their bike for commuting.

on the other hand, you may also genuinely have a problem. things i would do:

- check for vacuum leaks. airbox being seated correctly, vacuum hoses in good condition, vacuum caps are all there, etc.
- throttle body sync. dealer is supposed to do this at the regular service intervals, but maybe they didn't.
- verify chain slack. the manuals specify bowstring tight, but most of us run 20-25mm of slack.
- run diagnostics check on the throttle position and air pressure sensors.

p.s. provide more details on the bike. did you buy it used, how many miles on it, does it have any mods?

#14 ·
Hi and thanks to all for the interest. I purchased the bike new and has had this issue since the beginning. I ride the bike to work every day and find myself a lot in that 2000 to 4000 rpm range due to traffic conditions. Occasionally I take her out to the twistes but for the most part she's my daily commuter.
I could understand the poor fueling causing the hesitation when cold but the rubbing (bad chain/sprocket) sound coming from the right side simultaneously is what really worries me since my warranty will expire in 5 months.

#16 ·
Hi and thanks to all for the interest. I purchased the bike new and has had this issue since the beginning. I ride the bike to work every day and find myself a lot in that 2000 to 4000 rpm range due to traffic conditions. Occasionally I take her out to the twistes but for the most part she's my daily commuter.
get the o2 controller, it'll smooth out that area out very noticeably.

but the rubbing (bad chain/sprocket) sound coming from the right side simultaneously is what really worries me since my warranty will expire in 5 months.
i'm not hearing anything in the audio clip i haven't heard on my bike. where in the clip is the sound most prominent?

#18 ·
My cct noise and vibration always manifested between 3-4k rpm, phil: have you checked out the before and after youtube video of an 09 with a bad cct? It might help with your diagnosis.

#23 ·
I rode this bike stock for 3,000 miles. I can tell ya it doesn't like running in 2,000-4,000 rpm range. Its kinda like riding a motocross bike slow they just don't like that low of a rpm's.

I rarely get above 4'th gear when commuting and keep it in 4,000-6,000 rpm range. All the time its just easier to ride this way. I think you got a lot of good advice in the previous posts.

So I hope you can figure it out.

#24 ·
first, let the bike warm up to operating temp before starting your commute. second have you tried b mode to smooth it out? I think we have all dealt with wonky throttle response especially after rolling out then back into it, at least on mine b mode is the only mode that doesn't do this. somewhere down the line I plan to do the aftermarket reflash or a pc to fix it.

#26 ·
Agree, try "B" mode for commuting, its "electric" smooth. might not help with the "burbling" in the 2-4k rpm range though, which is normal EPA tuning on the FZ. The chain and sprockets can be overly noisy if not aligned correctly or overly tight. The alignment marks for the chain may not give perfect alignment, you could try the "string" method to check alignment.

#25 ·
Sync the throttle bodies. It made a considerable difference and got rid of the annoying low end / inconsistent power delivery. I never had to do this on any of my other bikes but neither of them had a problem like this. It is not that difficult once you have the right tools. Motion pro syncpro will do the job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.