Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I’m having trouble finding good information on how to install a new oem cct in my 2019 mt09. I have looked at at parts diagrams, services manuals and YouTube but I’m still at a loss. I understand the not letting the chain skip a tooth part but how do you actually install and adjust the tensioner? Is it an automatic deal or do you have to set it to a point and it goes from there?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I understand that you compress the tension rod before Install, but once inserted the service manual says “
Screw the hexagon wrench by hand until the
timing chain tensioner rod touches the timing
chain guide, and then tighten 1/4 turn by tool.”. That is what I’d confusing me. From my searches I found that it is automatic using oil pressure but if so why adjust? I read somewhere that once installed you just release the spring and it is good to go but it seems not to be the case

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also do you know if the adjustment should be made while running? I see all of the YouTube video with the manual adjusters and they tune it in while it’s running but I didn’t think it would be possible with the oem.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Also do you know if the adjustment should be made while running? I see all of the YouTube video with the manual adjusters and they tune it in while it’s running but I didn’t think it would be possible with the oem.
Do not have the engine running while making any adjustments to it. What I do is once the tensioner is fully mounted back on the engine I release ,Pull out, the hexagon wrench and you can hear it release and hit the guide then reinsert the wrench and turn a 1/4 clock-wise... sometimes it's already tight and you will not be able to adjust it any further. hope this clears things up for you.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
141 Posts
Is the cam chain tensioner a weak link on the CP3 engine / MT-09? 2019 is like three years old ... I've never heard of replacing them on cars or bikes (as part of normal wear and tear).

Curious if this is something I have to look forward to or not ...

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Some early bikes had issues, my '14 has been fine.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Is the cam chain tensioner a weak link on the CP3 engine / MT-09? 2019 is like three years old ... I've never heard of replacing them on cars or bikes (as part of normal wear and tear).

Curious if this is something I have to look forward to or not ...
My 2015 is fine with the original with 59,000 miles on it .

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
The OEM CCT in my 2014 took a dump at around 3K miles so I replaced it with a manual APE unit.
I don't recall any posts about problems with the later CCTs so I'm curious, what's up with yours Jonwall?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts