Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange vibrations - 2019 MT09 7k miles

I recently noticed a noticeable change in my bikes vibration. At first I thought it was my chain or tires. Took it to a local shop to have it looked at.

The guy I talked to came out and checked my tire pressure and chain slack and said it seemed good but that they’d look at it. Later when I went to pick it up, the guy said that the front tire was perfect and that the rear tire was off by 1oz and that they realigned the tire and adjusted the chain. I rode off and I could still feel the strange vibration.

The vibration is noticeable starting at 4K rpm and going all the way up.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Link to some videos below showing some strange sounds:
Videos

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Is it making a rattling noise with the vibes?

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
I do hear a rattle, but idk if it’s related to the vibration I feel.
Slowly increase the revs in neutral from idle to over 4000 rpm and listen for the rattle around 4000. Also check if vibes increase at the same time. That type of rattle noise is often the CCT.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Slowly increase the revs in neutral from idle to over 4000 rpm and listen for the rattle around 4000. Also check if vibes increase at the same time. That type of rattle noise is often the CCT.
I've now googled and watched youtube videos on cct. I believe I have the same ticking noise as the others in the videos with a failed cct, but can/does a compromised cct cause vibrations?

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
If it's really bad it could, but that would be more than just a tick. More like a can of marbles.
You could just have a touch of NNS. New noise syndrome, it increases the prominence of every noise and vibe.
I have a similar thing on my car. A modulating moaning noise, even when my wife isn't in it.
The dealer Tech doesn't know what it is, it hasn't got worse and is probably the Haldex pump.
So I ignore it.
PS I'm brave because my wife doesn't read this.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,931 Posts
If it's really bad it could, but that would be more than just a tick. More like a can of marbles.
You could just have a touch of NNS. New noise syndrome, it increases the prominence of every noise and vibe.
I have a similar thing on my car. A modulating moaning noise, even when my wife isn't in it.
The dealer Tech doesn't know what it is, it hasn't got worse and is probably the Haldex pump.
So I ignore it.
I'm telling her.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does the vibration go away when you pull in the clutch at speed? If not, then it’s chain/sprockets or a wheel balance or bearing). I was getting a weird instability at speed that turned out to be a worn chain(almost 20K miles). New chain and sprockets fixed it.👍

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I ignore it.
besides the noise I can feel the bike vibrate unlike I’ve felt before. It feels as though I’m on the verge of speed wobbles.

Does the vibration go away when you pull in the clutch at speed? If not, then it’s chain/sprockets or a wheel balance or bearing). I was getting a weird instability at speed that turned out to be a worn chain(almost 20K miles). New chain and sprockets fixed it.👍
I’m not sure about if I pull my clutch in, but under load it’ll vibrate and when I just coast it goes away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so I replaced the cct with the manual one from ape. Noticed The rattle again today, pulled over, and the lock but is gone! Ape’s website doesn’t give a size or I’d get a replacement nut. Would you happen to know

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Sorry I don't, but it'll be standard metric thread. Buy a 6mm and 8mm and try them.
PS. Don't start the engine again until you replace the nut and adjust the tensioner. Use a torque wrench to tighten the lock nut.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry I don't, but it'll be standard metric thread. Buy a 6mm and 8mm and try them.
PS. Don't start the engine again until you replace the nut and adjust the tensioner. Use a torque wrench to tighten the lock nut.
no worries. APE got back to me this morning. They said the thread was 7/17-20. I'm going to to to Lowes after work and pick one or two up, plus maybe some blue Loctite so this doesn't happen again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.