Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to buy either Street Triple R or FZ-09 this coming week and I need some help from you to decide which one to go for. I understand that this is a Yamaha forum so answers will be a bit biased, but I need your honest opinions. You guys have ridden the FZ-09 and you know both PROS and CONS of the bike.

I test rode STR this morning and loved it. I didn't find STR lacking any power, but I am a noob with little sports bike experience. It was very smooth, comfortable and compared to my Scrambler it felt like an advanced modren bike. Felt really light and, as I said eariler, I loved it. Unfortunately, Yamaha dealers don't do test rides, so I can't compare the two on my own.

A little bit about me. I have been riding for 3 years. My first bike was Honda Shadow 750. My second bike was Triumph Scrambler and STR or FZ09 will be my third bike (but 1st sports bike). I am 33 and overall a safe driver with no accidents on my record.

I am going to put pros of both bikes based on what I have researched online. Please give me your honest opinion and help a fellow rider:

STR
Pros:
  • Better Suspension
  • Better Brakes
  • Smooth Throttle Response
  • ABS
  • 2 Year Warranty
  • Current Triumph Incentive: Free Accessories (Fly Screen, Seat Cowl, and Belly Pan - $750 value)

Cons:
  • Less power than FZ
  • $2000 more expensive than FZ

FZ-09
Pros:
  • Bigger Engine (More torque through out the range)
  • Price ($2000 cheaper than STR).
  • Yamaha Reliability
  • Better Ergos (Upright riding position)

Cons:
  • Soft Suspension
  • Snatchy Throttle Response in A and Std modes (can be fixed by flashing ECU)
  • No ABS

What else am I missing here? I don't want to get a bike and regret the decision later. Thought? Recommendations?

Edit 1: Forgot to mention that I am 210 lbs (225 lbs with full gear) and 6 feet tall.

Edit 2: I prefer the look of STR. FZ is awesome except the seat and tail area (might be ok with seat cowl).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Like you mentioned it might be biased, but for sure you ll NOT regret getting FZ09! Except for the ABS the cons you mentioned are an easy fix for the $$$$ you save. Hope some one who owned STR before 09 can give you a better reply.

·
Registered
102 Posts
$2000 gets you a LOT of upgrades on the FZ-09 (substantially better suspension, ECU reflash, exhaust, windscreen) Penske from Stoltec ... heh heh

If you give the FZ-09 those upgrades, I don't think there is really any contest. At that point the only real advantage of the STR is ABS.

Just trying to give it a fair comparison $ for $

·
Registered
619 Posts
They're both great bikes. Not knowing what kind of person you are, it's hard to tell which bike you'd end up spending more on. If you can live with the bone-stock Triumph, that may end up being less expensive in the long run. If however, you're the kind that can't keep well enough alone (and there are a lot of us on this site) cost comparisons go out the window. I don't know what kind of deficiencies the STR has, but *every* bike has them, and there's always a way to spend money on them.

If you can live without ABS, then the $2k you save buying the FZ can go towards fixing all the other cons, and then some.

Bottom line, pick the one you like the best. Either way, you'll have a great bike.

Reactions: FZ09Jeff

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was in a similar situation as you are facing. I'm not a big guy 5'10" at 166lbs. For me, the "soft" suspension isn't an issue. My one friend has a str, and I did love riding it and it was my original intention of getting one before I saw the FZ09. The STR is easily the more "refined" bike, triumph has been working on it for years so it should be. Maintenance was a big concern for me in my choice. I like to do some rides away from my normal area, and if something were to happen, the number of yamaha dealers vs triumph dealers favored the FZ09. Parts avail. Also comes into play there. It really comes down to what you like. If you put the some of the money saved into the FZ09, you won't regret not having the ABS. Either way you decide, you won't be disappointed!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Both are great bikes. The striple is a better bike out the door, no question. Better brakes, better suspension, plenty of power, feels more refined. If you like to tinker the fz can be turned into just as good or a slightly better bike with the 2k you save; assuming you are not talking about the R version, you can end up with a better suspension in the fz than the str with that investment. I had the same dilemma and went with the fz. If you are not mechanical, you will probably be better off with the triumph. But to tell the truth, you can't go wrong either way. Both are great bikes, but different.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As an ex Triumph owner I can say that I was disappointed with my 2009 Streety. In 20k miles the bike went through one stator, two RR's and one water pump. My hope is the FZ09 will be the bike the Street Triple should have been. Reading your forums and reviews on the web, it looks like the FZ09 is a solid bike with better engineering.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Check this out bud

Yamaha FZ-09 vs Triumph Street Triple: video
The video was produced by Yamaha, so I wouldn't put too much stock into it. That said, I have the FZ-09 and I love it. However, I think that the STR is a better overall bike off the showroom floor. Triumph has had years to refine the bike so it should be better.

My best friend has the latest Daytona 675R and I'd take that bike over any other 600 on the market. I'm used to liter bikes and have never owned a 600, but the 675 engine is amazing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Check this out bud
that was probably the most biased video i have ever seen.

your desire to mod the bike will probably be the biggest factor. off the floor, the STR will be the better bike. but if you are willing to invest the savings from the fz09 into suspension/ecu mods, i think the fz09 is the clear winner. the STR is going to be be the more "refined" bike, but its price tag is the reason for that. personally, i think the fz09 has more potential, but it really just comes down to your preference on how much work you want to put into the bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess ABS is my only real concern here. Everything else can be fixed afterwards with the money saved over STR. I didn't need ABS on my slower bikes, but bike this fast should have ABS IMO. It might save my life one day. Any idea when the 2015 models are coming out? Yamaha might offer us ABS this year.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The bikes may be very similar +/- but the FZ09 Forum is wayyy Better than any other :cool:

·
Registered
511 Posts
A little biased? A little? We are extremely biased. I live just outside of Denver and when I googled Yamaha dealers there are seven. When I did Triumph there are two. One of them sold my friend a used Ducati that the rear hub locked up at 100 mph. Seems it was totalled and they put it back together poorly. Took him a year to walk again. I remember considering an Aprilia Tuono a few years back and when I asked about parts they didn't even have an oil filter in stock they would have to order it. I love Euro bikes they are a sight to behold. But I've always had Jap bikes for the reliability and availability.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Go with the STR. The two grand extra gives you the good suspension out of the crate. As far as less power goes, it sounds like you don't need it, I do. Anybody can own a Yamaha, but not everybody can say that they own a Triumph.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I can't comment on the new British bikes but I have owned a few of the old school ones back in the day. BSA, Triumph, Norton.

British bikes in a nutshell: Good looks, good handling, lots of power....but they leak oil and the electrics are junk.

Lucas prince of darkness.

In my view, rice rockets rule.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Both bikes have enough power to get you into trouble quickly ;)

ABS is a good feature. Are you sure it's only $2000 difference? In Canada OTD it was almost 3k

Mainly because Triumph dealers had retarded Freight/PDI etc.

Double check the OTD diffrence... IMO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here in the EU the FZ/MT -09 has ABS as standard. Also the ST-R and the FZ-09 are almost the same price where I live, at the moment I'm in love with the Triumph since it has the best package from the factory but the extra power from the FZ is tempting (I've owned supermoto's so I like to wheelie :p ). If I would buy the FZ the first things I would do is a hyperpro street kit, steel braking lines and a PCV (I hate jerky throttles) and the carbon Akra. So at that point the price will be 2000 euro extra :( On the ST-R the only things I would need to do is the Arrow exhaust and quickshifter so the price difference will be 1000 euro's in favour of the ST-R.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Test ride both bikes and then decide if you want to spend the savings on the FZ upgrades or spend a little more and have a great bike out of the box in the ST3. I love the power of the FZ and the look of the FZ a lot more than the ST3. Plus maintenance and dealer availability is something to think about.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Ramses,

It sounds like you rode the STR and loved it, prefer its looks to the FZ-09 and would be more comfortable having ABS. It also sounds like you are not a hardcore tinkerer/wrench type of guy.

I say get the Street Triple R; emotion plays a big part in how happy someone is with a bike, and I think you've already bonded with the STR a bit. Plus, getting a bike that works great straight out of the box is less intimidating than an FZ-09 that needs some tweaking.

My .02, and worth every penny!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts