Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just ordered a Graves full titanium exhaust with a carbon fiber silencer from vcyclenut. I attempted the install which seemed like it should have been fairly straight forward. However, there is allot of play in the can where it can touch both the swingarm and the rear sets. I called Graves and they have seemed less than interested in helping me resolve the issue. I've taken everything thing apart and reinstalled them times with no success. To me it feels like there is to much play in the joint between the can and mid pipe. However, maybe my exhaust mount is bad and needs replaced. I really can not think of any other reason for this problem. I think I my try to swap the rubber mount from the other side. I took a pretty crummy video that I got to try to attach. The bikes is in some at another location so I'll have too try to get a better video. Any thought or suggestions would be appreciated!
The two pictures show how much movement is possible and why is vibrating against the swing arm.

Crummy video

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think the rubber washers that attach to the inside bracket might be missing, causing can to move from side to side. Maybe try some washers to snug carbon fiber bracket to can. Try the Sport bike track gear graves exhaust install on the FZ09. This is an old video but may help.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Maybe a defect in the way the muffler fits to the can. David from vcyclenut would be able to sort this out except for the holiday weekend. Those rubber washers fell out when I installed the Akra exhaust but from the video I can't understand why the muffler and can don't have better fit.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree with the above....since there there is no way to clamp the can onto the header the only way to stop any movement can only be with the hanger hardware and rubber washers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate you two weighing in. I'm going to replace the rubber mount today. See where that leaves me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Watching the Video you may check to see if you have the muffler pushed ALL THE WAY IN !!

Thanks Abe! Yeah watched this video. They changed the can mount and are no longer using the strap it appears. There is now a metal bracket riveted to the back of the can.I really tried to push the can on further several times with no luck. I even swapped out the stock exhaust mount. It has to be the mid pipe can connection because the exhaust mount is sound the only place else to provide stability to the exhaust is that joint.

What gets me is the response I got from Graves. They said that this is impossible and did want to hear about it at first.

Asked me to send pictures without specifing what they wanted. Never followed up on the pictures. When I called to follow up they said they could not tell from the pictured what I was trying to show them.

How are you supposed to show in a picture that a can moves a couple mm too much.

Anyways, they said they'd call me back and never did. I figure given what I paid for this that they'd be a little more understanding and responsive. Not what I expected from what I considered to be a top of the line vendor.

I contacted David V. To see if he can intervene. If not or this drags out to much longer I'll just try a different approach. Request a chargeback from my credit card and go with an akra.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Send them the video clip that shows the movement where the can mounts to the header...then take a couple showing the movement at the rear of the can where it contacts the swing arm...maybe that will help.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Send them the video clip that shows the movement where the can mounts to the header...then take a couple showing the movement at the rear of the can where it contacts the swing arm...maybe that will help.

I originally tried to do this but the file was too big. Figure I'm going to upload some better videos to YouTube and send the links. And try to get a lower resolution video that will fit in an email.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Worse case, you could take the header to a muffler shop and see if they could "stretch" the pipe a smidge to tighten up the joint. Being that loose, I would wonder if it's leaking there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Worse case, you could take the header to a muffler shop and see if they could "stretch" the pipe a smidge to tighten up the joint. Being that loose, I would wonder if it's leaking there.

This is a good point to keep in mind. As you say worst case.. But never would have occurred to me.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Have you considered returning the system to the vendor? Vcyclenut is a much respected forum supporter and would carry much more weight. Maybe you can get a return and refund on this defective product and let Vcyclenut deal with the Greaves people. From your experience I would reject the company outright. Good luck.

Ride sane.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you considered returning the system to the vendor? Vcyclenut is a much respected forum supporter and would carry much more weight. Maybe you can get a return and refund on this defective product and let Vcyclenut deal with the Greaves people. From your experience I would reject the company outright. Good luck.

Ride sane.
I sent him a message today. I assumed I will hear from him tomorrow. I think this is where I'm going with this barring any immediate change in the communication coming from Graves.

·
Vendor
1,058 Posts
im being told by Graves they reached out today to you and took care of it and you are happy with the answer.

they also pulled all the other stock to make sure it wasn't affected and that your end pipe didn't have the correct step up in case any one else is worried they will be affected by it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts