Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just finished installing a TST tail light on my 2017 and now my blinkers only flash 23 times and stop. They worked fine before.

Previous owner appeared to have the OEM tail light modified with integrated turn signals (which sucked) and there’s some extra wiring and NO SIGN of a flasher relay unless I can’t find it...

Extra wires appear to be resistors and there’s one black wire going to the NEG on battery, and one green wire jumping from the resistors to the yellow wire going to the tail light plug.

Can someone tell me if the small 2 wire white connector is supposed to be where the flasher plugs into? I think that’s what all this extra wiring is plugged into instead because the plug is near where the flasher is supposed to be.

The OEM tail light plug also had some resistors installed so I think removing that part is what has my blinkers not working since the green jumper tapped into the wiring before the plug.

Any info is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello, just finished installing a TST tail light on my 2017 and now my blinkers only flash 23 times and stop. They worked fine before.

Previous owner appeared to have the OEM tail light modified with integrated turn signals (which sucked) and there’s some extra wiring and NO SIGN of a flasher relay unless I can’t find it...

Extra wires appear to be resistors and there’s one black wire going to the NEG on battery, and one green wire jumping from the resistors to the yellow wire going to the tail light plug.

Can someone tell me if the small 2 wire white connector is supposed to be where the flasher plugs into? I think that’s what all this extra wiring is plugged into instead because the plug is near where the flasher is supposed to be.

The OEM tail light plug also had some resistors installed so I think removing that part is what has my blinkers not working since the green jumper tapped into the wiring before the plug.

Any info is greatly appreciated, thank you.
I posted below

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Before you start this project be sure your battery is disconnected completely. OK my opinion here since they’re TST there which I have installed on mine It sounds like you need to get rid of all that resistor stuff because you have regular turn signals on there still. You may have to re install LED ones in the areas that are not clearly marked. I believe that’s why you’re having all these problems. TST sells regular LED turn signals they’re awesome they also sell a flasher that plugs it’s plug-and-play right into the bike. You need to order a new set a turn signals if you feel the existing ones are damaged. For sure get rid of all that wiring/resistor BS that you have on there it’s a mess and buy a new set if you have to. If they’re not broken you don’t need to.
As far as the other wires you can take them out you don’t need anything more than the stock wires that come in with the bike to put a TST installation in if it goes to where do you think the flasher goes pull them out also. For some reason the previous owner must have had incandescent bulbs running with LED bulbs on the bike! That’s the only reason I can think of for the resistors. I don’t know. What I would do is remove all those resistors and all those wires you don’t need them. Then ensure if you have LEDs installed Correctly using a cheat sheet i gave you. Yamaha went to LED lights all the way around except their turn signals in 2017. Use the cheats sheet I gave you above for rewiring if you need to. Good luck and let me know by sending me an email through the site if you’re doing OK later

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, turned out I was missing a flasher relay. Got rid off all that wiring and installed a TST LED relay and it works perfect now. Added bonus now I can remove my seat easier now that there's less clutter underneath, my key was getting bent from the seat release and getting hard to remove from the ignition switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts