Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Wow I really liked the before photo.

Blazing Orange is soooooo pretty on a bright sunny day.

That metallic popping out would make Mary Poppins proud.

·
Registered
187 Posts
be careful not to spill gasoline on it. also, throw a tank guard on the front cuz your jacket will rub straight through it. my r6 did that

·
Registered
657 Posts
Color looks good!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Been thinking about doing this to mine. I love the orange, but with plastidip it's so easy to change colors whenever you want if I got bored of it. I may go ahead and do it now

·
Registered
208 Posts
Even though you covered up the orange, that looks sweet! I bet you get better grip with your knees too.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just be careful any time you get gas. I plastidipped my Honda NX250 and when my friend and I went to go get gas nozzle was messed up and was shooting out the top near the handle. The tank was a mess after that. Plastidip just ran down the tank.

·
Registered
201 Posts
very nice. Looks good and I love using plati dip on things. Have not touched the bike yet. Did you use straight from the can or spayer? finish looks very nice.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Had someone photoshop my bike into sort of the color scheme I want to go with. Would it be viable to plastidip the forks, or do I need to order some new ones?

The green will be matte, but he just changed the shading of the current orange on there to get that green, so it came out shiny.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I felt like seeing what my bike would look like black. I love the orange, but since plastidip is temporary and I had my tank off for vcyclenut's flash I figured why not.

Before:

2015-04-14 08.53.11.jpg

After:

2016-02-23 13.08.07.jpg

Tank and Ermax fairing dipped black, and I put silver pinstripe over the orange on the wheels to match the frame. I like the look overall, but I'm not very good at pin-striping!

·
Registered
275 Posts
We did this to our Bandit 600 when my wife thought it was a good idea to plastidip it Barbie pink. Well the tank are rubbed off when our pants would grip the tank. In the end it was more of a pain to peel off and i still have some pink on the bike.

·
Registered
320 Posts
We did this to our Bandit 600 when my wife thought it was a good idea to plastidip it Barbie pink. Well the tank are rubbed off when our pants would grip the tank. In the end it was more of a pain to peel off and i still have some pink on the bike.
How long did it take before it wore through? You need at least four solid coats for it to peel as a sheet.

·
Registered
275 Posts
How long did it take before it wore through? You need at least four solid coats for it to peel as a sheet.
It wore through in 3 rides. After her first ride, I rode the 2 remaining rides before i noticed that we have peeled the leg area off. We were both wearing jeans. We also did 4 heavy coats.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I wonder if the Plasti Dip High Gloss Top Coat, would help seal it and help it wear better?

·
Registered
190 Posts
How about Plasti Dip Super Grip (clear aerosol spray) on the tank for thigh grip instead of that expensive bumpy stuff?

Non Skid Coating | Super Grip | Plasti Dip International
Well I emailed Plasti Dip with this question:

Dear Plasti Dip
People put grippy, rubbery sheet material (usually with bumps on it) on their motorcycle gas tanks so their thighs can grip the gastank better. Would your Super Grip (or other product you might make) be good in this application? Would it wear off easily? Would it peel off easily if wanted? Would it damage the paint on the tank? Would it be real grippy with leather or denim pants? Thanks!

Here's Plasti Dip's response:
We would not recommend Super Grip for this application, as this product is a non-skid fabric coating. The product we would recommend for your particular is Plasti Dip. Plasti Dip is a multi-purpose rubber coating used for millions of applications, and can easily be applied by dipping, brushing, or spraying. It protects against acids, abrasion, moisture, corrosion, impact, salts, and weathering. Plasti Dip is peelable from most surfaces when ready to remove and peels easiest when applied in enough coats(6-7). It should not damage the paint underneath, however we cannot control the condition of the paint before application. It does provide a non-slip/non-skid grip as well. Plasti Dip is not compatible with gasoline, and will disintegrate when coming into contact with it. We recommend testing all applications in a small inconspicuous area to make sure it will meet your expectations.

Notice the recommendation to apply 6-7 coats for easy removal.

What do you think about clear Plasti Dip for this application?

·
Registered
357 Posts
You can put some clear or same color vinyl wrap on the high wear areas. Looks good, it's fun to change colors in very little time and no damage to original paint.

If you guys are having a hard time getting the dip off buy a bottle of citrus plasti-dip remover. Make sure you take the tank or cowl off the bike so it doesn't fade the plastic parts. Spray it on and let it sit for 10min, rinse and repeat process, it should all be off the second time if it wasn't applied to thick.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Had someone photoshop my bike into sort of the color scheme I want to go with. Would it be viable to plastidip the forks, or do I need to order some new ones?
Vinyl wrapping the forks would be more durable than Plastidip and you would have a vast selection of colors/looks to choose from.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts