Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of some much needed rejuvenation; The batteries are serviceable, but they're definitely low on juice. In light of recent and impending changes coming this way, I've decided it's time to get out this year and lay some tracks. Destination: the Badlands.

Anyone have any suggested routes, roads, or stops along the way from PA? Anticipated departure is mid September. Honestly, I'm planning to high-tail it on the slab until at least Minneapolis...on account of the land curves forgot. Of course, I'm open to detours if they are worthy.

The theme for this trip (aside from riding) will be food: I've honestly not been let down by DDD (Diners, Dives, and Drive-Ins), so the plan to get through the OH-IL jaunt is to make good eats the destination. By default, I only eat at chain restaurants if there are NO other alternatives. Life's too short to be franchised.

If you have suggestions, fire away!

·
Registered
291 Posts
There's a little diner here in Huntington that serves nice breakfast for ~$5. It won't win any awards and it won't be on TV, but it's been in operation for somewhere near 60 years and has some great food for cheap.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a little diner here in Huntington that serves nice breakfast for ~$5. It won't win any awards and it won't be on TV, but it's been in operation for somewhere near 60 years and has some great food for cheap.
Thanks for the heads up. Not sure if we'll head that far south into Indiana, but it's a good back up plan nonetheless.

No more midwesterners on here?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The roads in Wisconsin/southeastern Minnesota are your best bet for fun twisty roads. Once you get west of Albert lea, it is gonna be all straight till you get to the badlands. I know live right by I 90 in Southwest Minnesota. The land curves forgot, lol that's where i live.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
As a former Illinoisian......there is a motto that they have up there.........

"Ride Illinois.....11 Turns in 318 Miles"..........Sorry, I couldn't help myself......it's pretty flat so don't be expecting much there unless someone can suggest a good eating establishment on your route.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Snow What!

I was touch and go for a week or so. But, it is what it is. Somethings aren't meant to work out. Interestingly, the Badlands had a few inches of snow last week...
It was a 1st snow record, 9/11 beat the last by 2 days. Had about 8" in the Hills, but the ground was warm enough that the roads were just wet. Now we are back to almost normal (70's). It's always something in the hills, I'll take the snow for a day or 2 over the mid-day hail storm.

Attachments

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was a 1st snow record, 9/11 beat the last by 2 days. Had about 8" in the Hills, but the ground was warm enough that the roads were just wet. Now we are back to almost normal (70's). It's always something in the hills, I'll take the snow for a day or 2 over the mid-day hail storm.
Ahhh! You needed a better spoiler alert before that picture - it's too soon to look at that! Still, I wished things went differently on this trip...it will happen, eventually.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You have great places to ride around out there like Mannheim and state college and Lancaster even around Harrisburg is nice. The food , well I never found bison chili on scrambled eggs in P.A. I did get a shoefly pie and a nasty look from an old bitty clerk , cause I glanced at the younger unmarried clerk. I always try to get a run down I-79 to 19 to I-77 for fall colors through the mountains , P.A. and Virginia you go through the mountains. Run that down to Columbia south Carolina or head back home on I-81.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PA is a big place with great riding (lived here most of my life), but it's a matter of been there/done that. Plus, I can do most of those areas within a few hours. Road trips are fun because they are different.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sorry bout that double post , I wrote the wrong route. I added to your post because P.A. is great and old , many would glance over this thread. My usual four day run was austin texas get to Abilene and run us-83 straight to murdo south dakota . From there it was west to sturgis or belle fouche working my way to Montana then us-89 up to Canada. Now my boss sends me east at murdo and no deadfish no black hills or devils monument near Sundance.
One more reason I added post was that some posters might want to ride out your way near Allentown and have no idea how nice it is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts