Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

Registered
2018 MT 09
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Have fun Mark..sorry the gap thing got moved around because of the weather ...

Oh I will 馃... no worries about the gap trip. It made perfect sense to move the days. If my schedule was flexible I'd be headed down there with you guys 馃槣. Nothing worse the sitting around watching it rain. I just start the new job Monday morning and as you know it was too much driving for not enough riding for me. Next spring for sure!

Registered
Almost time! You feeling good about the clutch situation? Maybe you've already had a chance to flog on it and test it out.

Looking forward to your review of this TD. :)

Registered
2018 MT 09
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Almost time! You feeling good about the clutch situation? Maybe you've already had a chance to flog on it and test it out.

Looking forward to your review of this TD. :)
Feeling good about the clutch, went on a 495 mile spirited ride Wednesday. Swapped out the old cable and installed a new rear tire. Looking forward to getting back out on the track.

Super Moderator
Feeling good about the clutch, went on a 495 mile spirited ride Wednesday. Swapped out the old cable and installed a new rear tire. Looking forward to getting back out on the track.
a 495mile ride? Where did you go, Kentucky?

Registered
2018 MT 09
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The crummy part of living so far away from the good road the it's practically 100 miles to where they start getting good. Typically I trailer the straight part but rode it this time.

Ecoregion Map Parallel Screenshot Terrestrial plant

Registered
2018 MT 09
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I upload my GoPro footage to my YouTube channel. I didn't edit the videos. I'll post links to a couple of the clips, feel free to watch the others. My GoPro mount broke before lunch. I'll write up a narrative of my thoughts about the day which should illuminate the video. I'll add that here when I get it written up.

First clip is a guy who crashed in the first lap of the second session right In front of me and red flagged the session. Start watching at 6:55.

Second clip, you'll see a guy on the ground unconscious who went to the hospital. He was with my group, was on a Harley he also brought a bmw. He's okay just a little bruised. See him pass me in the third clip I think.

Third clip is probably the best riding I have on video, I also get stuffed by some jerk and find out what ABS does well. See minute 10:20.

Registered
Batmobile
Definitely work on that body position, you look really close to the max lean on a few of those corners. Really exaggerate that body movement until it becomes natural, I use the momentum from down shifts to push myself out the seat. Also work on moving your head forward and "kiss the mirror" while dropping your inside elbow down towards the apex. Had one of the coaches at VIR tell me that and then I almost ran off the track on the inside of a corner, it tightens up your line that much. He came back after the session and said he was laughing when he saw me do that.

Not sure where you're eyes are looking but stay as far ahead as you can. Look at the apex while you're in braking zones, once at the apex look through the exit and into the next corner. This is what I need to work on now.

Sometimes I'll throw my bike up on the rear stand and just practice moving around on the seat stationary, it's a challenge without any of the physical forces keeping you balanced.

What the hell happened to the guy who was face down on the straight? Was he moving too quick and grabbed the brake hard or something like that?

Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
I also get stuffed by some jerk and find out what ABS does well.
Yikes鈥 So what happened to him afterward? That was a dumb move. 馃槚

Keep working on it, you鈥檙e getting there!

Also, this track-day rig is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up鈥 馃い

Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Registered
2018 MT 09
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Definitely work on that body position, you look really close to the max lean on a few of those corners. Really exaggerate that body movement until it becomes natural, I use the momentum from down shifts to push myself out the seat. Also work on moving your head forward and "kiss the mirror" while dropping your inside elbow down towards the apex. Had one of the coaches at VIR tell me that and then I almost ran off the track on the inside of a corner, it tightens up your line that much. He came back after the session and said he was laughing when he saw me do that.

Not sure where you're eyes are looking but stay as far ahead as you can. Look at the apex while you're in braking zones, once at the apex look through the exit and into the next corner. This is what I need to work on now.

Sometimes I'll throw my bike up on the rear stand and just practice moving around on the seat stationary, it's a challenge without any of the physical forces keeping you balanced.

What the hell happened to the guy who was face down on the straight? Was he moving too quick and grabbed the brake hard or something like that?
Yeah he took as much break as that bike was going to give him, apparently there was another bike involved but I heard that second hand. His front rotor was blue from the heat.

I was going to set my bike on the rear stand and video myself from behind practicing getting off the side of the bike. Then do the same with a camera my next track day. It's going to take me work, because it feels like I'm moving but apparently it's just in my head, lol.

Registered
For real. Going for a pass at a speed he鈥檚 probably never done before which explains changing the line at the last second to make turn 1. Before every track day, they鈥檒l tell you if you鈥檙e not 100% sure about the pass, just don鈥檛 do it. Every time though, this crap still happens. 馃槅

Registered
2018 MT 09
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

Keep working on it, you鈥檙e getting there!

Also, this track-day rig is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up鈥 馃い

View attachment 167606
To be honest, I don't know what happened to him. I felt like giving him a piece of my mind, but I figured I didn't want to be that guy.

There were a lot of choice track day setups, one day maybe? 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
2018 MT 09
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
For real. Going for a pass at a speed he鈥檚 probably never done before which explains changing the line at the last second to make turn 1. Before every track day, they鈥檒l tell you if you鈥檙e not 100% sure about the pass, just don鈥檛 do it. Every time though, this crap still happens. 馃槅
There was a ton of sketchy passing this day, part of the reason I really wasn't riding 100%. I'll go into more detail in my narrative of the day.

Registered
I was going to set my bike on the rear stand and video myself from behind practicing getting off the side of the bike. Then do the same with a camera my next track day. It's going to take me work, because it feels like I'm moving but apparently it's just in my head, lol.
Best to practice that with a Baxley-type front wheel chock, or tie the bike down. It鈥檚 not terribly stable laterally on a paddock stand鈥 馃槈

Body position is s funny thing. As you discovered, what feels like hanging way off isn鈥檛 always enough. You almost have to really over-exaggerate it at first, but after a while it becomes natural鈥

Registered
Batmobile
Got me thinking about CMP this weekend now....

Edit: You'll see a lot of sketchy passes in Novice, I've pulled a few myself not wanting to be caught behind someone for a fast section. Landed me in the grass one time that I'm not proud of.

Registered
2018 MT 09
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Best to practice that with a Baxley-type front wheel chock, or tie the bike down. It鈥檚 not terribly stable laterally on a paddock stand鈥 馃槈

Body position is s funny thing. As you discovered, what feels like hanging way off isn鈥檛 always enough. You almost have to really over-exaggerate it at first, but after a while it becomes natural鈥
Good call on the wheel chock and tie downs! I would like to think that would have occurred to me before I ended up on the floor of my garage spooning my bike, lol. 馃槣

I think It would help to have someone help me get in the correct position when static so I have a physical reference for the feeling. I just don't have a feel for it yet, but it will come. I just have to figure out how to get it into my brain and have the muscle memory.

Registered
2018 MT 09
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Some more footage from one of the guys that I was hanging out with that shows me in front.

Registered
Hey Mark, how were the N2 instructors? Video's much appreciated and makes me want to buy an R3. Any other 09's there?

Registered
2018 MT 09
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hey Mark, how were the N2 instructors? Video's much appreciated and makes me want to buy an R3. Any other 09's there?
I've only done two track days, both with N2. The first day in September the instructors were great and available. This last day I didn't really have much interactions with them, but I also didn't seek it out. I did get a short interaction from one of the coaches from my first day who was riding incognito. He recognized me, welcomed me back and gave me some pointers regarding my apexes. I was content working alone on my apexes and race line. There were just too many people in novice and the coaches were spread pretty thin. There were quite a few really green riders, so I figured they needed the attention more than I did. I think this had a lot to do with it being the last day at PittRace for the season.

I can see the fun in getting an R3 and riding the hell out of it. I have yet to see any other 09s at the track in my group.

I also really like that quite a few of the guys I've been riding with at the track are also getting GoPro footage. It's nice to see the different perspectives from the different cameras.

Registered
I like this video. He sums up nicely what I was telling you earlier, and if you attach your camera to the tail section next time, you鈥檒l get a good idea of whether you鈥檙e doing it right鈥

21 - 40 of 48 Posts