Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
"with a 120-degree crank the engine naturally has an uneven firing order" I don't understand that, isn't there a power stroke every 240 degrees of crank rotation, so the pulses are evenly spaced?
yes, it's an even-firing triple. the article is wrong.

this article made the same mistake. in fact, the two articles sound like they're written by the same person.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've still be kicking around the idea of an '01 Speed Triple that I can get for $3500, but this review has me wanting to wait again! Love the idea of a bike that feels lighter and more agile.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I agree Versys, reviews are getting better. Sounds like he enjoyed it a lot, not a bunch of moaning and complaints. Sounds good.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, will be anxious to hear an abs review, and if the US models will have abs available. I also want more info on the bigger and smaller models in the FZ line-up they are bringing out (all 3 cylinders, I presume). I may opt for the smaller one if it's 20-30lbs lighter, with a similar power/weight ratio. I'm also very interested in what the new parallel twin is going into, as well as it's specs. I might need one of those too.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Yes, will be anxious to hear an abs review, and if the US models will have abs available. I also want more info on the bigger and smaller models in the FZ line-up they are bringing out (all 3 cylinders, I presume). I may opt for the smaller one if it's 20-30lbs lighter, with a similar power/weight ratio. I'm also very interested in what the new parallel twin is going into, as well as it's specs. I might need one of those too.
Well I'm getting this non-ABS 09. But I am also very curious about the bigger and smaller FZs as well as what the hell that parallel twin is going into.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree Versys, reviews are getting better. Sounds like he enjoyed it a lot, not a bunch of moaning and complaints. Sounds good.
That stance seems to be taken in every bike review, they high light the highs and dismiss the lows and usually complain about fueling issues.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Where did you guys hear about this parallel twin? Got a link?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well before the FZ/MT-09 was announced Yamaha released pictures of some new engines and everyone was wondering what they were for. Now we know what the 3 cylinder was for but the twin ???

My guess is that they will begin to phase out the FZ6 series, and migrate to a twin v to get a leg up on the market(s) for the “mature beginner” and returning riders that are looking at bikes like Honda’s new 500 series - 2 cylinder bikes. Just a thought…

·
Registered
188 Posts
thats a pretty hefty looking twin! ... meaty! ...

... pity its not also a triple though ;)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Well before the FZ/MT-09 was announced Yamaha released pictures of some new engines and everyone was wondering what they were for. Now we know what the 3 cylinder was for but the twin ???

My guess is that they will begin to phase out the FZ6 series, and migrate to a twin v to get a leg up on the market(s) for the “mature beginner” and returning riders that are looking at bikes like Honda’s new 500 series - 2 cylinder bikes. Just a thought…
I'm willing to bet your right. But maybe a parallel twin. And if it is as great a deal as the -09 then they're (Yamaha) is gonna be looking to one-up the Honda 500s.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
thats a pretty hefty looking twin! ... meaty! ...

... pity its not also a triple though ;)
Let's not forget that Yamaha is coming out with a NEW bigger FZ in the -09s family. Like on smokehouse theory, I bet the bigger FZ-09 will replace the current FZ1. Exciting news to come for sure.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm willing to bet your right. But maybe a parallel twin. And if it is as great a deal as the -09 then they're (Yamaha) is gonna be looking to one-up the Honda 500s.
Agreed! It does look rather stout!;) I’d like to see if they come up with the technology for a “cross plane 3.” Now from a cursory appeal, that doesn’t seem realistic. [Almost sounds theoretically unsound.]. But stranger engines, in this ever growing age of technology, have been born. It’ll be interesting to see if the good Japanese engineers put this thing “on a diet” and out-compete their rivals with a solid power-to-weight ratio in whatever they may bring forth in a V-Twin engine.

Now a parallel twin – That would prove to be very exciting and also something I think they should produce. I would REALLY like to see them put their spin on a new technologically advanced parallel twin. That Would Rock! I’d opt for that!!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Agreed! It does look rather stout!;) I’d like to see if they come up with the technology for a “cross plane 3.” Now from a cursory appeal, that doesn’t seem realistic. [Almost sounds theoretically unsound.]. But stranger engines, in this ever growing age of technology, have been born. It’ll be interesting to see if the good Japanese engineers put this thing “on a diet” and out-compete their rivals with a solid power-to-weight ratio in whatever they may bring forth in a V-Twin engine.

Now a parallel twin – That would prove to be very exciting and also something I think they should produce. I would REALLY like to see them put their spin on a new technologically advanced parallel twin. That Would Rock! I’d opt for that!!
Probably gonna be somewhere between 550 and 675 CCs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes but not on they're "Crossplane" design/family.
Very True….What BW said. That’s why I’d be interested to see them bring a parallel twin back, in a new engineered retrofitted style, just like they re-vamped the triple after having produced that platform years ago. I really think it’s about time, seeing how they just “stunned” the market with an older platform but expanding on a new take on the “crossplane crankshaft concept.” And ya’ know something else — If they bring a 650 parallel twin in under $5999 (with decent bells and whistles and great performance characteristics), I’d probably stand outside the factory and buy the first one! Now THAT Would Be Something!! Looking forward to see what 2014 will bring as these are exciting times in motorcycling.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts