Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Michelin Pilot Road 3

Votes: 8 44.4%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I'm sorry. Another tire thread. I'm going to try to make a poll, never done this before.

I need new tires and I think I've narrowed it down to these two. I hear good things about both. Some people don't like the profile of the Angel GT.

FZ is primarily a commuter. Let's call it an aggressive commute. Might see some wet roads, I try to avoid the rain.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The Angel has better performance in the wet and a slightly different tire profile that is better for bikes that spend more time upright. The "U" shape of the profile is more exaggerated on the Angel, which means you have a larger contact patch when the bike is perfectly upright, but less of one when the bike is leaned over. It's going to brake better and grab better when the bike is perfectly upright. Leaning the bike over will take slightly more effort, which on this bike is not necessarily a bad thing because it already turns ridiculously quickly.

The PR3 will have better all around performance when being ridden aggressively in dry conditions, however I've seen complaints about wonky tire wear with them.

I ended up going with the Dunlop Roadsmart 2, which up until the PR4 came out, as the defacto king for sport touring tires for people who emphasize the "sport" over all else (borrows its profile from the Q2/Q3).

Why not the PR4? It will be better than both.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Pittsburgh? I work in Cranberry Township. I ride around downtown pretty often, but I have no idea where I'm going. Let me know if you would ever want to meet up.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Pittsburgh? I work in Cranberry Township. I ride around downtown pretty often, but I have no idea where I'm going. Let me know if you would ever want to meet up.
Happily. Always looking for people to ride with.

I work in Lawrenceville and live in the South Hills.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I've never owned the Pirelli tire, so I can't comment on how good or bad they are. I have however ridden quite a few miles on the Pilot Road IIIs and really like them. I have a brand new set of Road IIIs for sale...they came off of my wife's FZ07 and have like 6 or 7 miles on them...same size as the FZ09 tires. PM me this evening if you are interested. Shipping cost might make them prohibitive....I don't know.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I only have experience with the gt. I like the tire and if it wears as well as pirelli claims I will be happy. Tire is plenty grippy for the street and turn in is no problem. I personally don't believe turn in bike is a problem. Pirelli has a rep as a more bump absorbing tire than the Michelin in General and I do find the pirelli (34 psi rear, 32 front) does soak up the bumps a bit better than the S-20s that came on the bike stock. But tire pressures will largely dictate that. Don't think you will go wrong with either tire.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I only have experience with the gt. I like the tire and if it wears as well as pirelli claims I will be happy. Tire is plenty grippy for the street and turn in is no problem. I personally don't believe turn in bike is a problem. Pirelli has a rep as a more bump absorbing tire than the Michelin in General and I do find the pirelli (34 psi rear, 32 front) does soak up the bumps a bit better than the S-20s that came on the bike stock. But tire pressures will largely dictate that. Don't think you will go wrong with either tire.
Ditto on that... after 3000 Kms my GTs still have tons of tread left. Their profile is more watermelon than orange, if you know what i mean....

·
Registered
584 Posts
BTW: how much pressure do you run in the tires??

·
Registered
835 Posts
PR4 would be my first vote as a commuter tire especially since you want to avoid rain.

Otherwise, Angel GT.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone, I appreciate the feedback. I think I'm going to order the Angel GTs today. I'll probably try the PR4s next time. Everyone seems really happy with them.

This will be my first time pulling the front wheel off... I looked at the manual and it seems easy enough..

thanks again

·
Registered
957 Posts
BTW: how much pressure do you run in the tires??
Sport Touring tires generally run best with the recommended pressures. From what I understand, they can get greasy when you drop the pressures like you would on a supersport or hypersport tire because they were designed to reach optimal temps when running at real-world speeds.

·
Registered
734 Posts
My angel has less wear on it at 1200 miles the the dunflop did at 300 . This one works for me , and thats a lot of 2 up riding. And were not tiny

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again to all.

I started thinking.. I've never removed a front wheel before. I think I need to remove the caliper mounting bolts and the axle pinch bolts. I'm going to need to pick up a massive allen wrench for the axle, right?

I know there a section in the manual to remove the front wheel, but I don't have access to it right now.

Anyone have experience with this that could give me a quick how-to?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts