Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 3,000 miles, my stock Dunlop Sportmax D214 rear tire was showing a lot of wear. Rather than wait for the wear to get too extreme, I decided to find a replacement. Several days ago, I purchased a Pirelli Angel GT rear tire from Motorcycle Superstore which shipped it to a local shop whose owner has done almost all of my non-warranty work for the last several years.

Since Saturday morning's tire installation, I have put about 100 miles on my FZ-09. My first impression of the Angel GT is very positive. Although comparing the Pirelli to the Dunlop carries a lot of subjectivity (i.e. the Dunlop was new when the temperatures were cooler and I was inexperienced on the FZ-09 versus the Pirelli is new when the temperatures are warmer and I am gaining experience on the FZ-09) and I don't want to unnecessarily bash the stock tire, my immediate perception is one of noticeably greater confidence about what's going on "back there" while I am riding. Now, the Dunlop didn't leave me feeling as though the rear of the FZ-09 was about to fall off or anything; that would be too much of a stretch. But the perception of confidence is there with the Angel GT.

The difference between the tires is difficult to quantify, and I probably won't attempt to do so. I don't consider myself a particularly fast or aggressive rider. My primary use for the FZ-09 is commuting, but every now and then I enjoy a deeper exploration of her performance characteristics. I was also somewhat uncertain about changing the rear tire and keeping the existing front tire, and I will appreciate your thoughts on changing one vs. two, and perhaps also on having two different brands of, motorcycle tires. But for now, I'll leave this post with the thought that, if I had to do it over again, I would buy the Pirelli Angel GT and have it installed again.

·
Registered
957 Posts
No experience with the GT but I had its predecessor, the ST, on my SV650. Based on that and what the Revzilla rep I spoke with told me, here's what's to know:

The Pirelli Angel GT was the benchmark for wet weather traction until the PR4 came out. In all other areas it performs middle of the road compared to other Sport Touring tires. Doesn't shine in any specific area, but isn't bad either. It's unique from other sport touring tires in that it has a much more exaggerated "U" shaped profile, meaning you have a larger contact patch when the bike is upright, but smaller on the edge. This improves straight line performance and braking at the cost of aggressive handling. Tip-in also requires a bit more effort (which can be bad or good depending on your preference).

·
Registered
835 Posts
Now you just need some TirePenz to complete the ensemble.

·
Registered
835 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Keep us up to date on the Pirelli GT's, as I have a set on my Versys. I've found that cornering is much more natural than the stock Dunlops, similar to those on the FZ, just not as wide.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keep us up to date on the Pirelli GT's, as I have a set on my Versys. I've found that cornering is much more natural than the stock Dunlops, similar to those on the FZ, just not as wide.
Shall do. After a 60 mile ride on Sunday (following 100 on Saturday), I am pleased with the tire and will give it a bit more thorough workout in the next few days. I will echo your description that, based on fairly modest cornering speeds, the Pirelli has a more natural cornering feel. Could be a new tire vs. old tire perception, and I'm attempting to filter that out to the extent possible, but my basic reaction is the Pirelli suits me better than the Dunlop did.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They definitely move water better than the stockers.
After my commute home last evening, I am inclined to believe your statement even more. The last week has been surprisingly humid, with rain and thunderstorms in the afternoon through the evening. The forecast on Thursday included potential for the same, but with some openings in the hourly forecast that looked promising. As expected, the rain came shortly after lunch. Around 3:00 PM, also as expected, the rain let up but with more coming in early evening. Time to go!

Departure from work was fine, and the first 15 miles of my 30 mile commute were dry with the exception of very light, temporary moments of light rain here and there. No problem. At about the halfway point home, I saw heavier clouds ahead; I may have been catching up to the rain that had finally stopped at my work place. After about eight miles (with seven to go), the increasing rain become quite a downpour.

I could have stopped along my route home and parked under a shelter. There are a few such places I know. But, the temperatures were fairly warm and I wanted to get home. Best of all, I was having no trouble at all with traction. Reaching up periodically to wipe rain from my helmet's face shield, the secure traction was very welcome.

Although I don't recall a situation where hard braking or cornering was required, the new Angel GT always felt fully connected to the road, even at 60 MPH in heavy rainfall. Fortunately, the heavy rain decreased to a drizzle when I was within a mile of home. A few minutes after the FZ-09 and I were safely in the garage, the heavy rain resumed. I was soaked from shoulders to knee (boots did a superb job keeping my feet dry) but very pleased with the ride.

The Pirelli Angel GT is a great tire.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Less than a month after installing the rear Angel GT tire, I decided to go ahead and install its partner on the front. After about 50 miles worth of 'detours' on the way home, my reaction to the new front tire is much the same as my reaction to the new rear tire in early June.

The Angel GT inspires an additional margin of confidence. Perhaps this is just psychological; perhaps it's just having a new tire. Maybe the Angel GT is just a better tire for my needs. More later. I should be riding quite a bit over the July 4 weekend and hopefully have some detailed observations.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After just under 200 miles with the Pirelli Angel GT front tire (the rear Angel GT has about 1,500 miles), including a 45 mile two-up ride with my daughter, I am thoroughly impressed with these tires. The original Dunlop front tire still had a fair amount of tread remaining, but the improvements perceived in the rear tire moved up my timeline to replace the front tire. For the most part, I prefer not using expressions such as "this totally transforms the riding experience." Transitioning from a CBR250R to an FZ-09 is an example of how an exception to such a preference comes up occasionally.

But after the 200 miles mentioned previously... wow. Earlier this year, I was one of many who had concerns about the Sportmax tires' grip in cooler weather (i.e. below 50 degrees Fahrenheit) and made tire pressure adjustments according to more experienced members' recommendations. Thanks very much! Above 50 degrees Fahrenheit, the Sportmax tires were pretty good. And I had little problem with them as daytime temperatures climbed above 80.

Not 100% sure what makes it so, and searching for useful descriptive words as I have no quantitative measures, the FZ-09 with the Pirelli Angel GT tires seems eager, rather than simply capable, entering turns and performing other riding maneuvers (i.e. 180 degree turn). When entering a turn, I have greater confidence (there I go again with 'confidence') that, when I select a path for the FZ-09 through the turn, that's exactly the path we will follow even with several MPH of additional speed. Such an extraordinary feeling!

As some online reviews indicate, the Angel GT tires warm up quickly. Interestingly, these tires transmit through the seat a different feel in the first few minutes of a ride. I have the impression of an ever so slightly rougher, but perceptibly so, ride in the first several minutes when the tires probably haven't yet warmed. This is the type of feedback that either wasn't apparent to me, or simply wasn't happening, on the stock tires. When the tires are warm, the ride becomes smoother and supremely pleasant. Enough for now with only 200 miles on the front tire.

You may have concluded by now, and as mentioned early in this post... I am very impressed. ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ive got a rear GT sitting at my local tyre shop waiting for my Bridgestone to die. Loved the grip of the S20 but wanted something that would last a bit longer - wet weather performance isnt a big deal as where I live rain is an infrequent occurance.

It took my a lot of time to make up my mind on if I was going to go sport or sport tourer so glad to hear a few are getting some positive results from these. As long as these hold up on my weekend twistie runs im going to be a happy man.

They look pretty nice for heavily grooved tyres too, much better than the PR4s IMHO - not that you should pick tyres on appearance :rolleyes:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Im guessing the angel ST's have much more rebound damping to take the brunt off the OEM craptastic monoshock/forks which already is underdamped...

say, how heavy are you all geared up ? if a set of tires can offset much of the bouncyness/ "rough edges" of the ride, its one hell of an investment imho

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I put few miles on my GT. So far so good... I will know about how they perfrom next week. Bike vacation trip. Where... no clue. Just North for now!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
say, how heavy are you all geared up ? if a set of tires can offset much of the bouncyness/ "rough edges" of the ride, its one hell of an investment imho
About 225 lbs. geared up. Just returned from a 100 mile ride this afternoon. Didn't want the ride to end, but T-storms are rolling in. Don't mind the rain; it's quite comfortable in 95 degree Fahrenheit temperature. Lightning, on the other hand, I prefer to avoid.

The ride included highways (A mode), secondary roads (A or STD mode), small city (Chambersburg, Pennsylvania), medium sized town (Gettysburg, Pennsylvania), with heavy stop-and-go commuter traffic (B mode), open roads, and a couple of parking lots. The feeling of control is superb.

Side note: Best part of the ride was through the Gettysburg National Military Park at 3:15 PM. Small groups of Civil War re-enactors were crossing the road I traveled between Seminary Ridge and Cemetery Ridge, the 151st anniversary of Pickett's Charge during the Battle of Gettysburg on July 3, 1863. One re-enactor I saw was a very convincing General Robert E. Lee.

Much like the 200 miles in a previous post and raised a notch, this ride included slightly more aggressive (at least, for me it was) riding, which many members of this forum would still consider fairly mild riding. I'm still a proponent of learning in increments, but today's ride reinforced my previous observations since installing the front Angel GT. As fine as the FZ-09 was with the stock tires, she is noticeably better now with Pirelli Angel GT tires, front and rear. And there is more capability yet to explore.

Interesting comment you made about the tires offsetting the rough edges of the ride. My FZ-09 still has stock suspension, exhaust, ECU and is set up primarily as a commuter with the rear carrier installed. I haven't ruled out suspension changes (exhaust and ECU are long shots, but 'never say never'). However, I want extended experience with the FZ-09 in mostly stock form. Not that I don't trust and respect others' opinions on modifying the FZ-09, but I value a personal baseline of understanding and comparison. All that said, I agree with your observation.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I figured I won't start a new thread on Angel GT...

Great tires! Big step up from the Conti Motion I had last time in the Smoky Mountains. I push as hard as I could safely done and the tires never show sign of letting me down. Tweaked the spring rate & reb on the rear end. Bile is on rail now. So I log 920 miles in 2 days. Almost 400 miles of back road and twisties today... maybe thats why Im beat up a bit right now. I didn't bring my notes with me... but I lile the way my shoes are wearing!

Rear (pic from RH side)

Front (pic from RH side)

Front suspension

Rear suspension

Note: front bottom out, or close too only on very hard braking. Normal riding the gap is about 1 1/2"

Rear shock: Normal cruising the shock use about 1/2 of its travel. The usual 2nd gear hammer down nose up use about 2/3 if the travel. With everything that I have... hard turn, bumps and back hard in throttle the shock still have a solid 1/2" of travel. And thats with the saddle bags, tail back and tent on top of it... about a solid 40-50 lbs of luggage.

I'm very happy with how the bike handle and those tires are great and complete this paxkage perfectly.

Stoltec front end (GP damping and .90 kg/mm spring - no preload, 37mm rider sag. REB is 1T in from full soft

Rear us ZX-10 with 9.1 kg/mm spring. HSB & LSB all the way open
REB is 1 1/4 T

Cold PSI 30/30

Ahn can't thanks Nick enough for all the help!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
but I lile the way my shoes are wearing!
Since June 7, slightly over a month ago after replacing the rear tire, my FZ-09 has 2,300 more miles and the evidence of tread wear is minor. The front tire, replaced on July 1, now has 1,000 miles after many rides over the extended July 4 weekend. Both tires look great and there is no discernible loss of performance, which has been outstanding from the start. When the time comes for the next tire replacement, I expect to stay with the Angel GT.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Best air pressure for maximum tread life?

I only got 6500 miles on the rear of FZ-09 with the Pirelli Angel GT and I get 47.5 mpg on average based on the entire life of the tire. What is the best air pressure for maximum tread life?
:color: :cool: :color:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts