Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any opinions or experience with either of these. Always ran pilot powers on my vs and they seemed to work good but I want something to keep this thing planted. Really wanna try the pilots but not sure how the q3's are mileage wise and handling wise. More concerned with a good handling tire that anything

Sent from my torque wrench.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I put a Q3 on the back the other day, I like it a lot.

I went off the PP series of tires a couple of years ago, I use to run them on my bike then and had to get a new tire fitted while I was away and the shop only had a Q2, so I grabbed one of them.
I thought it was that much better than the PP that I stuck with them until now and that's only because I'm trying the Q3.
I've only done about 500ks on it so far but I really like it, great feel and grip, no side wall flex like the PP.

I have one for the front too but didn't have time to fit it the other day, it will go on soon though. Still running the stock front tire, it's out lived two rears so far.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My Q3 has 2500+ miles on it now and 1 track day. It still has a little left than half tread in the center and about 25% left on the sides. Great tire!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have not tried the pilots but love my q3's. However in your quest to "keep it planted , suspension is the answer on this ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm looking at the new Pilot Power 3 tires. I agree the Q2's are great smooth tires and used them on my Honda VFR a while back, so the new Q3's will be even better. The Pilot Power 2 I have used on my BMW and the tire mileage was incredible with over 8K miles on the rear! Michelin is advertising 20% better mileage over the PP2 for the new PP3 so I will give them a try next Spring.

I don't use my bikes for track days (anymore), so my mileage is based on commuting and weekend backroad twisties, 60/40 respectively. If I was doing any type of track days with the FZ-09 then I would consider the Q3's over the PP3"s, but that is IMO. The PP3's have better wet weather traction confidence for me and since I commute more on them this is a must.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
The day that I brought my FZ home (in a trailer to keep the miles off the S-20s), I put a set of Q3's on the bike. At 27xx miles the rear was toast.....the front still in good shape. I had already bought a set of the Pilot Power III's for the bike so the rear got swapped out with the PP III and I left the front Q3 on the bike. Now, at 5100 miles on the bike, the rear PP III is probably still at 50 to 60% tread left. The front Q3 is still on the bike and probably has another 1000 miles or so on it. I have a PP III front ready to go on when it finally dies. So, in summary

Rear Q3 netted me approx. 2700 to 2750 miles
Front Q3 will get approx. 6000 miles

Rear PP III has approx 2400 miles on it so far and is still at slightly over 50%
Front PP III hasn't been used yet.....but should obviously exceed the rear tire for mileage.

Grip: The Q3's have very good grip and I wouldn't be afraid to run them on the track (I actually did at Road Atlanta one time) at a mid to fast Intermediate pace. The Q3's have a pretty stiff sidewall so reduced air pressure is not only possible, but rewarding when seeking out good grip.....but maybe sacrificing a bit of mileage though. The front Q3 has always provided good front end feel and I've never pushed the front end with them.

The Pilot Power III's Grip: The rear will provide very good grip also, but in my opinion, not quite the amount of grip of the Q3, although nothing to worry or complain about for even some pretty aggressive street twisty stuff. The seems to take a bit longer to come up to temperature than the Q3, but if you know that going in, it's not an issue. I haven't mounted the front yet, so no comments on that one.

Longevity: The PP III is going to demolish the Q3 in terms of miles. Having said that, most of my tires are gone on the edges before the middle, so it stands to reason that a stickier tire (Q3) would be gone before the PP III on the edges.

So, I guess what it boils down to is how often you want to replace the tires (rear) on the bike, how aggressive is your riding in the twisty stuff, and what do you need more.....great grip or very good grip. Hope this helps.

Oh, and I'm moving this to the proper section......Tires and Wheels...

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm running the PP3 right now. Put them on about a week before track day and I have maybe...500 miles on them at the moment.

I agree with triplethreat, the PP3 doesn't seem to warm up as fast as the Q3. My rear actually feels a bit hard, I find it odd. I'm definitely getting grip and the communication on the track was good especially when I was walking out the rear!

I ran 28/28 on the track and seemed to have overall great grip but slow warming temps. Probably will go with Pirelli Rosso Corsa next time.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I did a track day and some short commuting on my Q3's, great tires. I can't compare them to the PP but I felt very confident at the track and usually on my second lap i was able to start pushing a bit more and on my 3rd lap i was on pace... well my pace LOL

If your bike is about set up right those tires are great if you like spirit riding. I won't use those to commute only, Angel GT is a better all around tire if you commute. So basically if you don't track your bike the Q3s are a bit over rated IMO. A top of the line ST tire is sufficient for a normal to spirit riding style on the street (Angel GT or PR4 by example). Plenty of grip and you will get plenty of mileage out of them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have not tried the pilots but love my q3's. However in your quest to "keep it planted , suspension is the answer on this ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Suspension is on the way but the s20's don't seem to hold well esp coming hard out of turns

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'm gonna try the pp3's in hoped they are better than the s20's. I'm not worried about mileage really I want something that sticks. I'm not doing track days but usually pretty agressive street riding. I ride 4.5 miles 1 way to work so most of my riding is for pleasure so I want a tire that works

·
Registered
957 Posts
I put a Q3 on the back the other day, I like it a lot.

I went off the PP series of tires a couple of years ago, I use to run them on my bike then and had to get a new tire fitted while I was away and the shop only had a Q2, so I grabbed one of them.
I thought it was that much better than the PP that I stuck with them until now and that's only because I'm trying the Q3.
I've only done about 500ks on it so far but I really like it, great feel and grip, no side wall flex like the PP.

I have one for the front too but didn't have time to fit it the other day, it will go on soon though. Still running the stock front tire, it's out lived two rears so far.
You can't compare the PP to the PP3. The PP is the "base" of the line, more comparable to Dunlop's base Qualifier. The PP3 is comparable to the Q3, although it has a slightly different profile and gives a different feel. Different strokes for different folks. I can say that the PP3 will give you better wet weather traction and better mileage, but in terms of raw performance in dry conditions? You won't find the limits of either one unless you ride the way you would exclusively on a racetrack. Also, The Q3's carbon sidewall means you'll feel bumps a lot more.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I think I'm gonna try the pp3's in hoped they are better than the s20's. I'm not worried about mileage really I want something that sticks. I'm not doing track days but usually pretty agressive street riding. I ride 4.5 miles 1 way to work so most of my riding is for pleasure so I want a tire that works

If you're not doing track days you won't notice much of a difference between the two in actual performance/ability to stick, although PP3s like higher pressures than the Q3s do. PP3s can get greasy if you run ultra low pressures like you might in the Q3. Also they provide totally different feels. One may feel more confidence inspiring to you because of the different feel. That's just about trial and error.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm gonna go for the pp3's then sounds more street friendly. Just looking for something better than the s20's. I don't care much for them. What pressure are you running the pp3's at typically?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'm gonna go for the pp3's then sounds more street friendly. Just looking for something better than the s20's. I don't care much for them. What pressure are you running the pp3's at typically?

On my PP3s on my zx6r I ran 31 front 34 rear

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts

I run 30/30 cold pressure and they stick pretty good like that. I know I'm probably sacrificing a bit of mileage by doing that, but a tire's ability to stick when I need/want it to is far more important than mileage.

On a side note, I just got back home from making a few passes up at Deals Gap and I'm finally able to say I was pushing the front end a bit on the Q3 that's on the bike. That tire now has roughly 5200 miles on it and the ambient temperatures here are not letting the tire keep much heat in it. I may change it out before I ride it again, just depends on where I end up riding and whether or not it's going to be a "faster pace" ride or a more casual ride.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I couldn't get the PR3's to get real hot no matter how fast I rode it. They got luke warm....but not hot. Just today I installed a Bridgstone BT 016 Pro on the front and it heats up real good and is super sticky.

So for mileage choose the PR3's. For bat shit crazy choose something else.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I couldn't get the PR3's to get real hot no matter how fast I rode it. They got luke warm....but not hot. Just today I installed a Bridgstone BT 016 Pro on the front and it heats up real good and is super sticky.

So for mileage choose the PR3's. For bat shit crazy choose something else.
PP3 is not PR3.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Checked prices today and the pp3 seems to be the best bang for the buck. Again I'm going under the assumption they will be a lot better than the bridge rocks

·
Registered
957 Posts
The Bridgestone S20s are comparable (at least in terms of their spot in the market) to the PP3 and Q3. There are many people who swear by them as opposed to either the Q3 or the PP3. That being said you can't base your judgments off of the stock rubber. Although they may be labeled a specific make/model, for some reason, OEM tires generally don't perform as well as that same tire purchased a'la carte. Ask anyone who bought an 09-12 ZX6R. They came standard with BT16s, and the stockers were junk. However, many people who threw another set of BT16s on there afterwards noticed an increase in grip.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts