Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Pikes Peak's sportbike ban cripples motorcycle competition

10K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Rocky_MTN_FZ09 
#1 ·

New rules have been created to stop sportbikes from climbing Pikes Peak!

These regulations were in place back in 2010, which stated that only bikes with a one-piece handlebar would be allowed on the Peak.

The rule goes as follows:
Only motorcycles manufactured with one piece handle bars as original equipment will be permitted. Only OVM one-piece handlebars will be permitted. This Rule does not apply to bikes in the Pikes Peak Challenge Sidecar Class.

As far as context, the last two events have featured one death each. Bobby Goodin was killed after crossing the finish line in 2014 in a Triumph Daytona 675R, and Carl Soresen drove his Ducati 848 off a cliff last year.

The move to ban certain bikes using the criteria of handlebars seems arbitrary, and has been the subject of much debate in the racing community. Jeremy Toye, the 2014 champion, was quite vocal about this.

"The handlebars didn't cause those deaths, and the handlebar isn't going to reduce speed," Toye told RoadRacingWorld.com. "A motorcycle produced with a one-piece handlebar isn't designed for optimum handling, shall we say, and the conditions at Pikes [Peak] are pretty intense so you need the best-handling situation you can get whether it's the handlebars or an air bag or a fuzzy seat. I think it's ridiculous. The handlebar has nothing to do with [safety]."

Source: AutoBlog

See less See more
#3 ·
The move to ban certain bikes using the criteria of handlebars seems arbitrary, and has been the subject of much debate in the racing community.
Specifying the type of handlebar may simply be the result of searching for a "bright-line rule" which isn't subject to multiple interpretations. Debates would reasonably be about why the rule exists, but not what the rule means. Defining 'sportbike' or 'optimum handling' would be more challenging than 'one-piece handlebar.'

#5 ·
Pike's Peak rules committee needs someone with a better grasp of the English language.

#7 ·
Sorry I never put 100% trust into any online article or blog. I always go right to the source for the information.

http://www.ppihc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016-Rule-Book.pdf

6. Motorcycles –

A. Footrests must be folding or non-folding; blunt in design, or rubber or plastic covered.

B. Stands must be non-protruding and secured by means additional to a standard spring.

C. Lighting equipment must be removed with exception of a taillight built into the rear
fender which must be taped over neatly.

D. Air filters must be fitted.

E. Only normally aspirated, and OVM fuel injected engines will be allowed. Supercharging,
turbo charging, and nitrous oxide injection are disallowed.

F. Only OVM motorcycle engines available through normal dealer channels may be used.
They must be available to all competitors.

G. Experimental or otherwise non-traditional designs must be authorized by the Director
of Competition prior to arrival for Tech Inspection.

H. Crankcase castings must be OVM for motorcycle.

I. Titanium frames not allowed.

J. Coolant catch bottles of adequate size required on all liquid cooled engines. Vehicle
must be equipped with a manufactured catch bottle that is sealed and will not allow
coolant to splash out. NO SODA OR ENERGY DRINK CANS.

K. Only motorcycles manufactured with one piece handle bars as original equipment will
be permitted. Only OVM one-piece handlebars will be permitted. This Rule does not
apply to bikes in the Pikes Peak Challenge Sidecar Class.

#8 ·
Most sportbikes have a naked upright seating position with handlebars version. Who cares, riders will just be taking the go fast parts off the pure sportbikes and adding them to the naked standards

#9 ·
Most? Gixxer 600/1000, R6/R1, ZX6R/ZX10, CBR600RR/1000RR? No. There are plenty, but the only ones with real balls compared to their superbike kin are BMW S1000R, Aprilia Tuono V4 and Ducati Street Fighter (maybe). What does it matter anyway? The record is held by a Multistrada so to me that means that sport bikes aren't as competitive as they could be in that race.

#10 ·
Gsxr has gsx, cbr has cb, zx has a naked, don't know its lettering and Yamaha has a naked r1 called the mt1

#12 ·
as I said in my earlier post, now the guys will start with the naked standards and bolt parts on from the pure sport bikes to make them faster (they are the same engines, tuned for mid range instead of top end) also seeing as how a multistrada is the current record holder, maybe tuned for mid range grunt is better than being tuned for top end power at pikes peak

#15 ·
That's a strange rule. The race probably generates a lot of money for the city/state, so axing the race completely would be a poor choice.

Small world as it is, the owner's son of our Ducati shop here in Santa Barbara has won Pike's a few years now (Carlin Dunne).

Ducati of Santa Barbara Owner Wins Major Race

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.