Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Full Imgur album of the bits and pieces damaged including "gear" - https://imgur.com/a/bOwrQ

Walk-around performed at the gas station while I waited for my wife to get the truck

Storytime!

Yesterday evening around 5pm my wife, my buddy and I were heading to a BBQ about fifteen miles away. The forecast showed sunny, 85°F and no signs of thunderstorms.

The shower snapped above us and we attempted to shoot through it. We could see the dry land no more than a quarter mile ahead. I bounced a few lanes and zipped past a few cars chasing my wife down the road.

That's when it hit.

Well, at least that's when I hit the ground. I was slowly accelerating and felt the tail sliding out a bit. Using some of my recently acquired dirt bike skills, I tried leaning forward and keeping on the throttle. The rear skipped back and forth twice quickly and took it's final position at full lock to my left dumping me on the asphalt.

The bike slid a few hundred feet while I skipped around towards the guardrail. I watched my poor baby dragging herself until she came to a stop. Popped myself up and took a stern walk to check the damages. A nice lady asked me if I was alright and I gave her a thumbs up.

A puddle of my FZ09's lifeblood laid beneath her. I quickly hoisted her to her natural upright state and assessed the situation. Didn't want to hang out on the shoulder so I tossed a leg over and hoped that the last bit of oil could get me to a gas station. Phew! We made it.

Overall, I came out lucky. Small scrapes on my elbows and butt, a few rashed parts and one cracked cover on my bike.

Major kudos to OES for their sliders - (OES Accessories), Ogio for their sweet backpacks - (OGIO : Golf, Backpacks, Travel Luggage) and Icon for making a sweet helmet so people could see me and not run me over on the highway - (Ride Icon).

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well that totally sucks. But sounds like you came away lucky having gone down at 60. Glad your okay. How are you feeling today?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sorry to hear about that bike. Glad you were able to walk away.

Reactions: ridethepiggy

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that totally sucks. But sounds like you came away lucky having gone down at 60. Glad your okay. How are you feeling today?
Feelin' fine today. Very minor injuries to myself, no open wounds, one sore hip.

Bike needs minimal work as well. That's about as lucky as it gets!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
On dirt bikes, you also slide your ass back as far as possible to gain traction with the weight over the back tire, run as high a gear as possible, and grip the tank with your knees to move the rear end back into position if needed. Sorry to hear.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
sorry to hear piggy - what tires are you running if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sucks, glad you're OK.

Let's see that Go Pro!
Totally forgot to post that here!

On dirt bikes, you also slide your ass back as far as possible to gain traction with the weight over the back tire, run as high a gear as possible, and grip the tank with your knees to move the rear end back into position if needed. Sorry to hear.
That's what I did wrong for my recovery technique. I was leaning forward instead of planting on my ass!

sorry to hear piggy - what tires are you running if you dont mind me asking?
Pilot Power 3 - hated them from the start. Might smoke'em out when I get the bike up and running again.

Shopping for part # 1RC-15411-00-00 for the case cover and will probably snag the R&G protective cover or Woodcraft slider to go with it. Hopefully I can find the OEM part for ~$50 or less. I have a buddy in NoVA looking at a junkyard that has a few FZ09s in it.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
damn i bet the water helped you glide across the asphalt

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Glad to hear it wasn't too bad. Stock suspension? The stock rear is more like a pogo stick than a shock and would have caused the launch you described.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i don't want to play arm chair criticizer because i'm by no means an expert but it looks like you were running pretty high rpms and gassing it hard to go around cars - i've been stuck in the rain on PP3s and they pushed water way better than the stock bridgestones - but you have to take it easy (i tend to be in a gear up from what i'd usually ride in the rain and use very low throttle inputs and bike movements).

They always say the worst rain to get caught in are those freak storms that just happen - the roads aren't soaked yet - all the oil and shit that's been sitting on the dry road is now floating on the surface - you have to ride like you're on ice.

All that being said - looks like you took that slide like a champ - glad you're ok and the bike is relatively good shape too.

·
Registered
635 Posts
i don't want to play arm chair criticizer because i'm by no means an expert but it looks like you were running pretty high rpms and gassing it hard to go around cars - i've been stuck in the rain on PP3s and they pushed water way better than the stock bridgestones - but you have to take it easy (i tend to be in a gear up from what i'd usually ride in the rain and use very low throttle inputs and bike movements).

They always say the worst rain to get caught in are those freak storms that just happen - the roads aren't soaked yet - all the oil and shit that's been sitting on the dry road is now floating on the surface - you have to ride like you're on ice.

All that being said - looks like you took that slide like a champ - glad you're ok and the bike is relatively good shape too.
Down here in Fla one can get dumped on in a flash. Key to keeping the rubberside down is slow down and minimizing any lane changes thus staying out of the flooded/soaked track areas in the road. Looks like he drove right across/into such a portion and is right then and there that he lost traction. Live and learn luckily not too much damage was done to both the rider and the bike.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, there were a lot of opportunities to avoid any accident and lots of mistakes made in this situation. Add those all up and you get this lovely GoPro footage.

Considering the distance, speed, lack of gear and guardrail - I'd say I got extremely lucky and won't chance that again.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Looks like you were sliding on your ass most of the way. What pants were you wearing and how'd they turn out? Show us your butt piggy

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like you were sliding on your ass most of the way. What pants were you wearing and how'd they turn out? Show us your butt piggy
This album link has all my "gear" that I was wearing:
https://imgur.com/a/bOwrQ

And do you really want a picture of my butt? I have a small scrape on it. Probably the worst of my injuries.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have extra REAR stock indicators that you can have for free if you want to swap lenses or housing, and I'm in Spokane Valley so shipping is free ;). PM if interested, glad you are ok.

·
Registered
429 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts