Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so excited, we are heading to WV tomorrow (with a pickup truck instead of my original stupid idea to ride through the mountains in the winter) to get a graphite FZ-09.

I looked at the CBR250R, CBR500R, Ducati Monster, SFV650 and SV650, FZ6 and R6 (love that bike). I got into two car accidents last year and have lower back issues. I can't lean over, even the 11 degrees on the SFV650 is too much. The FZ-09 is the most upright of any of these bikes. It seems most bikes have a forward lean except for the cruisers.

I already have a list of things I want to do to the bike. How long before you guys started changing everything? I think this is the Harley side coming out- buy it, then change everything.

Have any of you bought the FZ-09 because of the riding position?

Reactions: Brian-2

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm so excited, we are heading to WV tomorrow (with a pickup truck instead of my original stupid idea to ride through the mountains in the winter) to get a graphite FZ-09.

I looked at the CBR250R, CBR500R, Ducati Monster, SFV650 and SV650, FZ6 and R6 (love that bike). I got into two car accidents last year and have lower back issues. I can't lean over, even the 11 degrees on the SFV650 is too much. The FZ-09 is the most upright of any of these bikes. It seems most bikes have a forward lean except for the cruisers.

I already have a list of things I want to do to the bike. How long before you guys started changing everything? I think this is the Harley side coming out- buy it, then change everything.

I just signed the papers for a liquid graphite last weekend but haven't picked it up yet.. I only like naked bikes and tend more towards the motardy style riding position. I'm 44 and I don't see myself on a rice rocket and I'm not a fan of cruisers or Harley's. Originally I was looking at the Kawi ER6-N but then I saw a new bike on Yamaha's web page, it was love at first sight.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes I can't ridebthose super sport bikes with the clip on's. Pure agony. You might find you need a better seat. Can't imagine trying to ride on icy roads. That could be really dicey with no ABS and all that wonderfl torque! Enjoy and be careful.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Good idea using the pickup to get it home, weather is still way too unpredictable for that long of a ride on the East Coast.

I started my quest for a sport standard last year after sustaining yet another wrist injury. It was my third wrist injury in the past couple years and combined with damage from JRA as a child they are in bad shape at this point. My RSV4 even with bar risers was way too painful after 50 miles or so, this is my first naked biked since I started riding street back in 1991 so a drastic change for me. The riding position reminds me a bit of motocross/enduro bikes, the FX is just wider and lower of course.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'm only 28 but have a back of a 70 yr old (2 herniated discs - originally from a serious downhill mountain bike crash i suffered during a race and then re-injured again taking a 35ft lead fall climbing up in New Hampshire). I wanted to get a 600rr but didn't think that was a smart move, not only because it's less practical for the street and more expensive, but mainly because of the riding position. I was comfortable for long rides on my SV650, but this bike (in the 100 miles that i've put on it so far) feels even more comfortable, the biggest difference i notice is the lower foot pegs which was the only thing that bothered my after 200+ miles on the SV and that's exactly what i was looking for.

I started modding it the weekend i brought it home and haven't stopped doing little things here or there (nothing major though).

Congrats on the ride, you're going to love it. Keep us posted on your mods!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Congrats! I put a few hundred miles on it before changing much. I had been away from road bikes for a while and wanted to get a good feel for it first.
At this point, the FedEx guy always asks what did we get for the bike(s) today?
Enjoy it!

Reactions: triplethreat

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yes, this was one of my primary considerations. I traded a CBR250R for my FZ-09. The CBR has a very modest forward lean, but enough that I knew it wasn't my preference. I prefer an upright seating position but not the "feet forward" position as on my Honda Silver Wing maxi-scooter prior to the CBR250R.

The FZ-09, with its upright seating position, foot pegs below the seat, checked the final box on the list of characteristics I wanted in a motorcycle. The seating position is similar to my CRF150F trail bikes, which I find almost ideal.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I wanted to move towards a standard bike to relieve the pressure on my wrists and forearms. Before I could pull the trigger on anything else the FZ came along... I have no regrets! Only making minor changes/upgrades for now, but suspension changes are coming when money allows. :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Riding position, ergo comfort and torque for days!

I was cruising on the highway yesterday in 6th gear and still had power to accelerate past cars!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
What is your list of mods to do? If I recall right the type and HP of the 09 is new to you, so maybe put several thousand miles on it before putting a lot of $ into it, see what direction you want to go. Frame sliders and case protectors are a good start, I prefer Woodcraft via Stoltec.

I didn't want a full sportbike position, but other than that I didn't pick the 09 for riding position. I like the relaxed leg angles for my old knees, but I'm not a fan of such an upright back. I don't ride in towns enough for comfort there to be a consideration. Most of the time at speeds 50-80 it is more relaxed to me to lean my weight on the wind.

I love the acceleration of the 09, with stock bars I'm putting my head between the mirrors to keep the front down, the bars aren't comfortable for that. I'm looking for clubman bars that will put my hands a bit more than half way from stock to race clipon position. I'm keeping the stock exhaust, so unusual bars will be the way I personalize my 09. ;)

I understand the marketing and popularity of the stock bars and riding position, if there is just one model based on the 09 engine then the way it is is best overall. But I'm going a bit cafe racer with mine.

·
Registered
885 Posts
If I recall right the type and HP of the 09 is new to you, so maybe put several thousand miles on it before putting a lot of $ into it, see what direction you want to go. Frame sliders and case protectors are a good start, I prefer Woodcraft via Stoltec.
Completely agree. I would definitely get the frame sliders and case protectors. The rest can always come later when you are more familiar with the FZ-09's stock performance.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Here's what I was thinking initially- the equivalent of crash bars so frame sliders, have Stoltec do the ECU flash, find the equivalent of saddle bags so I can carry something. Next I would look at seat options if that is an issue, yeah, normal Harley stuff...leave the exhaust, I'm looking forward to an exhaust that doesn't bother my whole neighborhood.

I was going to get the bike at Martinburg Motorsports, but Romney Cycles is giving me more for my trade. Funny thing is, after I got insurance, reserved a pickup truck at uhaul and left a deposit, Rays Polaris in Reading called me back. I.was ready to buy from them until they all of a sudden wanted another $300 and wouldn't honor their original agreement.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
In my earlier post I forgot the Stoltec flash, yes, a very good first-thing.

Depending on how much you want to carry I'd go for a tank and/or a tail bag before saddle bags. Tough maybe a tail bag would make it harder to get on/off the bike?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I owned a FZ1 for several years and decided to sell it in 2012 to buy an R1. I had to get the all out sportbike out of my system before I got much older. The R1 is a wonderful bike if you have something else to ride on long rides. Unfortunately, it was my only bike. I bought the FZ-09 because at 42 yrs old, aggressive sport bikes are not good on my aching body. I knew I had made a great decision after about 50 miles on the FZ-09 because I would have already been feeling pain riding the R1. The low end torque feels better than the R1. I think I read somewhere that the 0-60 time of the FZ-09 is actually better than the R1. The FZ-09 has its issues but I knew that going into the deal. So to answer your question Jen, I absolutely bought it for the upright, comfortable riding position and the fantastic engine character.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This should be interesting. I haven't even been out on the bike (they don't let you test ride around here...anywhere). The FZ-09 was the first bike that I saw that was comfortable. I have been researching everything and have been to Yamaha, Honda, Ducati, Triumph, and Suzuki dealers. After all of that, this is still the bike. I was all ready to get a used SV650 or a used FZ6 until I actually found a few and realized that I can't do it because of the sitting position. Even the CBR250 was too much. This is the only non-cruiser bike (besides the Ducati Diavel..hah..) that doesn't bother my back. We would go to the dealers, I would sit on a few of the bikes, and then my back would hurt for the rest of the day. Ridiculous. The horsepower is likely more than I should have right now, but I don't ride like a lunatic and will keep it in B mode. The other bike that I liked was another Honda Shadow, the RS, which is like my Sportster but seems better weighted. We have two cruisers, so this will be nice to have.

Reactions: v2Bob
1 - 18 of 18 Posts