Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a year of lurking on this forum I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a matte gray fz09!

Is there anything I should look for when picking it up? What items should come with the bike? Tools? Manual? Any items that they might neglect to install or check?

I have a 200 mile drive home (taking country roads for break in) so I'll bring some tools to adjust suspension. Also picked up a puig sport screen and a ram mount to use my phone's gps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Well, after a year of lurking on this forum I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a matte gray fz09!

Is there anything I should look for when picking it up? What items should come with the bike? Tools? Manual? Any items that they might neglect to install or check?

I have a 200 mile drive home (taking country roads for break in) so I'll bring some tools to adjust suspension. Also picked up a puig sport screen and a ram mount to use my phone's gps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Make sure it has the keys and a full tank of gas and then enjoy the ride home. Congrats!

I didn't have a manual but downloaded one. The tools are ok but I carry additional.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i got a manual with mine - they should give you one (though the dealer actually forgot mine and mailed it to me). It should have a tool kit (check under the seat).

You're going to have a fun ride home!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Pick up the service manual or DL it from the internet. Dealer has to give you the owners manual and toolkit (part of being an authorized dealer) But in the off chance they don't you can find the owners manual on their website. My only advice would be stop a few times and let the bike completely cool down (its important not to overheat a new engine) and make sure you vary your rpm and gears. Pkay with the different modes also to get a feel for how they change power output. I'd say change your oil afterward also. Did mine at 300 miles and the oil was pretty filthy, also wanted to install my magnetic oil drain plug.

Grats on the purchase and ride safe.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Continuously going up and down through the gears provides the best break in. Vary your speed within reason; you can take it to red line fairly early as long as you don't sustain such high rpm's for very long.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The guy that sold me mine told me to ride the bike hard, don't bounce off the rev limiter, and not to let it cruise at the same RPM for too long during the break in period. Followed his advice, and one year and 10,060 miles later the bike is running strong.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I do a very quick run in for the motor similar how I bed in the brake pads.
For the motor, up to say, 60 or 80 ks, engine brake down to 20 a few times in first, same again in 2nd, but a bit faster, 3rd, etc, etc.
Brake pads, up to 80, slight pressure to slow down to 40, up to 80, medium pressure down to 40 a few times, up to 80, down to 40 hard pressure a few times.
You get the idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts