Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new Rapid Red FZ on Friday. Here are my impressions after putting a couple hundred miles on it.

1. This will definitely be a great commuter bike for me. I haven't ridden a street bike with an upright riding position in quite some time. My shoulders appreciate the relaxed riding position.
2. I was surprised at just how soft the suspension is. I often find myself reading reviews where guys comment on these things only to find that you have to be a near professional to notice. On this bike it is extremely noticeable. So much so that making turns on a bumpy or road with dips is not a confidence builder.
3. I must get rid of that awful fender/licence plate holder. That thing is hideous.
4. I have one hell of a vibration noise on the right side of the handlebars. I have tried to figure out where it is coming from but I cannot figure it out. It starts to occur right around 5k RPM's. I think it might be inside the plastic housing where the shutoff/mode button is located.
5. I read many on here comment on the twitchy throttle. I laughed and figured that nothing would compare to the twitchy throttle on my Duc in race mode. I was wrong. Combine the soft suspension and the twitchy throttle in standard mode and this will take some getting use to in the turns. B mode definitely smooths it out but I can feel the loss in power.
6. Cruising on the highway around 70 or 80, the front seems a little light and a bit wobbly. 60-65 seemed like a nice stable speed.

I doubt I'll do much to it in the way of mods other than the fender eliminator. I tossed the idea of powder coating the wheels gold with a co-worker. Could be an interesting look.

About to unload:
IMG_2901.jpg

Loaded in the back of the toy hauler for the weekend:
IMG_2905.jpg

Garage buddy:
1199-3.jpg

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Good news, you discovered exactly what the first batch of owners have, and this forum has blazed the trail to fix all that the bike lacks. The noise seems weird unless it is the cam chain tensioner, which has had two parts revisions already.

My bike is near perfect after stiffer fork springs with 10W oil, GPR steering dampener, Penske shock, and ECU flash from Stoltec Moto(member here). My forks could still use some help, but time will reveal more viable options.

Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum. Went for a ride yesterday and before going home I stopped at the local dealership and I finally got to see the orange one up close and personal - beautiful. They have 3 of them! I was surprised since that color seems to be the rarest.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Picked up my new Rapid Red FZ on Friday. Here are my impressions after putting a couple hundred miles on it.

1. This will definitely be a great commuter bike for me. I haven't ridden a street bike with an upright riding position in quite some time. My shoulders appreciate the relaxed riding position.
2. I was surprised at just how soft the suspension is. I often find myself reading reviews where guys comment on these things only to find that you have to be a near professional to notice. On this bike it is extremely noticeable. So much so that making turns on a bumpy or road with dips is not a confidence builder.
3. I must get rid of that awful fender/licence plate holder. That thing is hideous.
4. I have one hell of a vibration noise on the right side of the handlebars. I have tried to figure out where it is coming from but I cannot figure it out. It starts to occur right around 5k RPM's. I think it might be inside the plastic housing where the shutoff/mode button is located.
5. I read many on here comment on the twitchy throttle. I laughed and figured that nothing would compare to the twitchy throttle on my Duc in race mode. I was wrong. Combine the soft suspension and the twitchy throttle in standard mode and this will take some getting use to in the turns. B mode definitely smooths it out but I can feel the loss in power.
6. Cruising on the highway around 70 or 80, the front seems a little light and a bit wobbly. 60-65 seemed like a nice stable speed.

I doubt I'll do much to it in the way of mods other than the fender eliminator. I tossed the idea of powder coating the wheels gold with a co-worker. Could be an interesting look.

About to unload:
View attachment 3666

Loaded in the back of the toy hauler for the weekend:
View attachment 3667

Garage buddy:
View attachment 3668
I'd say your observations are spot on to mine. I personally don't care for the engine braking and plan to ship my ECU to Stoltec to get Re-flashed for smoother throttle response too. I'm a big fella, 250# and I wouldn't say I was a professional caliber rider, but I've always been sensitive to suspension whether it be a bike or a car and I have to say this bike, especially in the front, is too soft for my big butt. Moderate braking and mine feels like its nose diving me over the bars. Love the look of this bike, but gonna need some tweaks to suit my taste in the handling department. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I have a red one too and also took her home in my truck.

We must be related! Lol.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Congrats on the bike. If you don't plan to do much to it, at least ship the ECU to Stoltec for the reflash. It's a small investment to smooth out Std & A modes to really make them enjoyable.

I envy you for your garage mate (Panagale). If you have time give us a quick comparison, and when & why you would chose one over the other. Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats on the bike. If you don't plan to do much to it, at least ship the ECU to Stoltec for the reflash. It's a small investment to smooth out Std & A modes to really make them enjoyable.

I envy you for your garage mate (Panagale). If you have time give us a quick comparison, and when & why you would chose one over the other. Thanks!

Mike
I appreciate the info on the ECU flash. I read most all of the lengthy bike build thread updated by Stoltec. Those guys have spent some time on this bike and it was nice seeing the updates as they progressed with each item. It sure sounds like the ECU upgrade is the real deal.

The two bikes just don't compare. The Panigale is a race bike with blinkers and mirrors. If caught in traffic, I get burns on my legs (through jeans) due to the amount of heat produced from the exhaust. It just isn't made for general commuting. Get it on the highway or track and it is a dream. So much power in such a light small package. That bike has 350 more cc's, more hp and weighs less than the FZ. Every time I get on that bike, I am reminded just how much I love riding it. Some people say certain bikes just have that something. This one does it for me.

The FZ is great in it's own way or else I wouldn't have bought it. Having ridden a twin for the last two years, the power delivery of the triple is a nice change. Especially for commuting. Not having burnt legs at the end of a ride is a major plus. The riding position is really nice. Best of all, my wife can ride on the back with me. When I first brought my Panigale home, she rode on the back around the block. First time, last time for that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The two bikes just don't compare. The Panigale is a race bike with blinkers and mirrors. If caught in traffic, I get burns on my legs (through jeans) due to the amount of heat produced from the exhaust. It just isn't made for general commuting. Get it on the highway or track and it is a dream. So much power in such a light small package. That bike has 350 more cc's, more hp and weighs less than the FZ. Every time I get on that bike, I am reminded just how much I love riding it. Some people say certain bikes just have that something. This one does it for me.

The FZ is great in it's own way or else I wouldn't have bought it. Having ridden a twin for the last two years, the power delivery of the triple is a nice change. Especially for commuting. Not having burnt legs at the end of a ride is a major plus. The riding position is really nice. Best of all, my wife can ride on the back with me. When I first brought my Panigale home, she rode on the back around the block. First time, last time for that.
Thanks, that's kind of what I expected, but nice to hear from someone with both!

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts