Oops, forgot to add this one.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
this is really helpful - it doesn't look that bad to install with these pics. Looks like i'm adding another mod to the list soon.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yes it is reused
what does dimotiv say to torque it to?

the large security torx bolts by the steering head are torqued down by the factory during initial frame assembly, but they don't provide torque specs because they're not meant to be a 'user serviceable' item.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
That question could go for any damper mount.....
was thinking the same - any damper mount uses some existing form of the bike hardware. I asked the guys who sell the other damper available that attaches to the gas tank mount and they said that is very secure as well. I imagine this being even more so or at the very least, equally as sturdy. I'm not sure how much stress a damper puts on any given mount point but i can't imagine it being significant.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That question could go for any damper mount.....
Not any damper mount uses the frame bolts.

what does dimotiv say to torque it to?

the large security torx bolts by the steering head are torqued down by the factory during initial frame assembly, but they don't provide torque specs because they're not meant to be a 'user serviceable' item.
Don't think they meant to be removed

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not any damper mount uses the frame bolts.

Don't think they meant to be removed
Sounds like it's not the mount for you, let alone any of them. If Yamaha wanted or intended this bike to have a damper it would have one or a factory mounting location.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
There are some steering dampers, for some bikes, that need a mounting bracket to be welded to the frame.

The Ohlin mount is off the top of the tank like a tank bag mount. I'd rather mount a steering damper on something more sold like the frame than the tank.

Bicycle handlebar Motorcycle accessories Vehicle Auto part Motorcycle

If Yamaha ever sells a "Yamaha" steering damper, my guess is that it will be one made by someone else and labelled with a Yamaha sticker anyways.

I think the Ohlin version runs around the $500 US price range as well.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
123 Posts
All the upper dampeners, use this bolt and the air filter front bolt to mount.

The lower ones use a tab, some sort of L bracket, and a clamp on one fork.

I suppose you could widen the mount for the frame, use the bolt, and some really good 3M tape to mount side "supports" to the frame to keep the side load forces in check, and it would work fine. (No need to weld this way.)

But are the side forces enough to cause a problem? That's a pretty long lever arm setup if you think about it, so the force on the stock bolts/mounts is higher as the distance of the lever increases. (Just like using a cheater bar on a tool you need less force to get that nut off, since you have more leverage.)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
If you are worried about stressing the frame bolt with the Dimotiv DMV Steering Damper Mounting Kit. You could use some RTV Silicone Adhesive to glue the sucker down on top of the frame, or get a couple of heavy duty tie straps to help hold it in place.

I'd probably do the RTV Silcone Adhesive trick, once that stuff cures it can be tough to remove. Just make sure both surfaces are nice and clean before applying.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.