Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a pretty good backpack that can carry my camera, several lenses, flashes, batteries etc. its comfy enough to lug around on location and hiking but long trips on the bike suck as the bag causes fatigue. All the weight is on my shoulders. I was wanting to know what you guys do or if there was something out there that is like the motorcycle packs that strap on like a vest but made with compartments for a camera.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i have a dakine bag that's specific for photo gear - but it's heavy as sin and i have the same issues as you- lowe pro makes a frontloader pack - which is not only super convenient but puts less stress on your shoulders.

Lowepro | Toploader Pro AW Series

3 reasons i wont use it:

1. it's expensive
2. i already have a bad back and i feel that the weight of my gear will cause me to slouch forward - you almost need to wear a backpack to offset the weight.
3. you look like a complete toolbox wearing this (apologies to anyone who owns it).

i now have a kriega 20 bag on my bike so i'll likely always throw it in there. My camera as been through hell on several mountaineering trips (well for you west coasters i shoudl said molehill trips) - to be honest - i've been content with my phone for pictures - it in no way replaces my DSLR but i'm getting really sick of lugging 30lbs of camera gear with me in situations where i'm trying to travel light.

you could also try loosening the straps and having the bag sit on the bike to reduce the load on your shoulders. If you have a waste strap - tighten that and the chest strap to ensure it remains snug when cornering - just a suggestion on your current bag - but i'd go a tail bag route instead.

this is what i just bought and it's glorious

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kriega-us-20-drypack

·
Registered
225 Posts
Here is what I did last night. I used my small camera bag(on the seat)and wrapped the shoulder strap through the handles on my soft bags. It was surprisingly secure. I'm not sure I would run the dragons tail that way, but I did go 70 miles today with it there.

I have a backpack bag but will only use it hiking, NOT on the bike.

IMAG1605.jpg
DSC_9441.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the saddle bags and a small bag where i can fit my 6d and an attached lense. Problem is i usually have 3 lenses and a few odds and ends. Want something i could hope off bike and carry. I may try a kreiga and individual lense cases

·
Registered
182 Posts
Right now I have a pretty good backpack that can carry my camera, several lenses, flashes, batteries etc. its comfy enough to lug around on location and hiking but long trips on the bike suck as the bag causes fatigue. All the weight is on my shoulders. I was wanting to know what you guys do or if there was something out there that is like the motorcycle packs that strap on like a vest but made with compartments for a camera.
I use the Kriega backpack for carrying my 7D and assorted gear around. They don't load your shoulders and work great for heavier loads and longer trips. Durable too, but it will set you back a few $$, highly recommended though.

·
Registered
380 Posts
back pack, considering a tail bag though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I take photos trackside at national race events and tbh wouldn't put a expensive camera in my back pack. Two reasons for that.

Main one is if you have a crash and land on your back you have this odd shaped plastic thing between you and the tarmac. A lot of damage can be done to your back and internal organs. I have had a crash where I landed on my back but luckily didn't have anything like that in my backpack. Took 6 month with the help osteopath to sort it out.

Other reason is if you have it in a tailpack or tank bag it won't go flying with you and end up possibly getting destroyed in a crash.

I have a point and shoot that goes with me for rides. I fits in my jacket pocket and it's a decent one so the photos might not have the same quality of my 1D but it's not going to be a poorly camera phone photo either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts