Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I want this bike. It fits my criteria. I'm curious though, how will you all use the FZ-09? Will you be leaning it over in the twisties every time you ride it? Will you do long interstate trips? Whatever you feel like that day?

For me, a day ride is somewhere close to home that I can get into some turns. However, my FZ-09 and I will be no stranger to 15 hour days on the interstate seeking out some scenery, where I won't be tempted to push it in the turns when I'm not so close to home. I like to get some thrills, but I also like to rack up the miles and see the nation.

·
Registered
56 Posts
that sounds like a good use of it and thats how i plan to use mine. im actually planning a trip from the bay area, california to vancouver canada next spring or summer. should be a fun time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Are you going to mount panniers of some kind to haul your stuff? Also are there bags and maybe a bikini fairing slated for the FZ09?

I was looking at the Ducati Hyperstrada and it is set up with bags and a small windshield.

·
Super Moderator
5,699 Posts
Welcome Cool........Bro...Mine is going to be leaned over probably more than it is upright. I live 18 miles from one of the twistiest roads in the U.S.A. ......Deals Gap. Of course, there's about a million other roads here that just beg to be ridden at, let's say, "a spirited pace". There will be some 400 plus mile days, down into N. Georgia, but for the longer trips, two up, there is a ST1300 in the garage just waiting to be called upon.

·
Registered
699 Posts
There are times when I wish I lived further from the office so that I could get a little off axis on my way in to work, and there are times when I am so glad that I am so close as the toothpaste on my lip dries in my quick jaunt, and I am in to work not "too late."

I have only been using my bike for the to and fro of work and the occasional ride to dinner with the girlfriend in tow. I need to get out and explore the central Texas hill country!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when i do long trips i like to go light and just use a tank bag and some type of bag on the tail. not necessarily a tail bag. my longest trip, VA to AL non stop (15 hours) for a 2 day stay, i just used my school back pack tied on to the rear seat of my nighthawk 750 with some parachord. it worked wonderfully. you just can't get it off easily if you need it mid-trip.

·
Registered
56 Posts
damn, you are lucky. people travel from around the world to ride that haha. there are a lot of good roads here in the bay area though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm replacing my SV1000 with the FZ09 , it will be my hooligan bike, back roads and hope to do some track days with it. For the long trips alone I also have a 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14, and 2 up trips are done with a Honda Gold Wing so the wife don't bitch !

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know I want this bike. It fits my criteria. I'm curious though, how will you all use the FZ-09? Will you be leaning it over in the twisties every time you ride it? Will you do long interstate trips? Whatever you feel like that day?

For me, a day ride is somewhere close to home that I can get into some turns. However, my FZ-09 and I will be no stranger to 15 hour days on the interstate seeking out some scenery, where I won't be tempted to push it in the turns when I'm not so close to home. I like to get some thrills, but I also like to rack up the miles and see the nation.
General transport, like the other two mo's I've owned...if I can get it lit, and get good traction.

·
Registered
552 Posts
How I use it...Mine has a small improvised windshield and soft throw over saddle bags. I sometimes ride it to work and around town. I sometimes go on a 25 mile loop with lots of twisties (not much now as the road often does not dry out). I run over to nearby towns (65 mile loop). I rode it 175 miles last Sunday with some sport bikes going to a favorite mountain 10 mile run where the sun was out and 70 degrees. 60-90 mph turns and no traffic. First time for the Fz-09. Feel like I am still getting used to it but on first name basis now...lol

The Cortech soft bags I can take off but for now they are on to carry things like my lunch box, or warm gear that I wear in the morning (36-40 degrees) and don't need in the afternoon (58-70 degrees). They are handy and still easy for me to get my leg over and I don't care if it kills the look of the bike.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I will be using mine to commute to work and to enjoy the scenic roads in my area. I seriously doubt, save for the Slimey Crud Run, I will ever take this bike 100 miles from home. I've got the FJR for the longer rides.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I bought the FZ09 for longer rides. I use my '07 R1 in a way it was never meant to be. I've done a few 3 day, 1000+ mile trips on it. Did the entire Blue Ridge Parkway start to finish and back 4 times now. Having owned that bike for just over 3 years I've put 26,000 miles on it. And it still looks brand new. An average ride for me is around 500 miles. The FZ will be for the 5+ hour rides, and the R1 will be for everything else. The FZ will spend most of it's life practically dragging it's pegs at any and all opportunities lol

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sport touring places I dont want to take a 900 lb wing back roads winding hills . Sw Wisconsin day trips weekend s . I expect to put more miles than 21k that the fz6r got.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Whatever you feel like that day?

this, exactly

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
Guesstimates: 20% ST 2 up, 20% ST/moto camping solo. 25% commuting to/from work, & 35% twisties.
My Niner will be my "Do All" bike. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts