Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently installed the Graves block off plates getting rid of the dumb bass exhaust recycle nonsense.

Without doing a dyno check it feels like I may have lost just a tad of bottom end snap right off of idle. But it feels like it pulls a little stronger in the mid and upper rev range.

Curious if anyone else had similar results. I am still running stock ecu and exhaust.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The mind is very powerful. It will convince you that every mod you did on that bike made it faster and that you must be a genius for selecting and installing it. Been there done that.

Then one day you walk out to the garage and remember the suspension upgrades you made for track days....hammer your nuts on every city bump....and the gearing and remapping you did now yields 15 to the gallon....and the exhaust you selected is so freaking loud that your neighbors hate you and every cop in town knows you personally.

Then you don't like the bike anymore and decide to sell it...and find out that the $3,000.00 in mods you put in it make the bike worth LESS that it was when it was stock. So you buy another bike...and do the same thing.

This is the scourge that we suffer from. There is no cure.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Not me CD599. I look at life in a much more positive way. I just think that something different would be pretty cool to own, and shazam, I buy it. Mods just make selling it a whole lot quicker. If I was concerned about money on my favorite hobby, I would take up bird watching.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
if you get your ecu reflashed, they usually disable the air injection system as part of the package. the blockoff plates in this case would just be to save weight and clean up the under tank area.

·
Registered
555 Posts
if you get your ecu reflashed, they usually disable the air injection system as part of the package. the blockoff plates in this case would just be to save weight and clean up the under tank area.
No I dont think they do? Do they?

I think you may be thinking of the DFCO (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off) that kills fuel on decel to the injectors.....this is disabled or more precisely fuel is added on decel again.

As far as I knew the AIS was a mechanical type of function? However I could be totally wrong, but I didnt think it was possible to do anything to the AIS by flashing the ECU as the valve still needs to be taken out and blocked off via the plate kit.

Please correct me if I am wrong, honestly curious, no malice intended.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Outside of no popping I did not notice one difference with the performance on the 09, nice to run it high into the RPMs and back off to only hear a nice smooth decel. Rode a friends Triumph Speed Triple over the weekend with aftermarket exhaust but the AIS was not removed, popped like crazy the second I let off the throttle - could have a been a combo of bad fueling and the AIS.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Recently installed the Graves block off plates getting rid of the dumb bass exhaust recycle nonsense.

Without doing a dyno check it feels like I may have lost just a tad of bottom end snap right off of idle. But it feels like it pulls a little stronger in the mid and upper rev range.

Curious if anyone else had similar results. I am still running stock ecu and exhaust.
So you running full exhaust on stock ecu ? Does it run fine ? Are you planing to put power commander ?
What kind of exhaust ?
Sorry got a lot of questions but I'm curious.

·
Registered
555 Posts
voytek said:
So you running full exhaust on stock ecu ? Does it run fine ? Are you planing to put power commander ?
What kind of exhaust ?
Sorry got a lot of questions but I'm curious.
The answer is right in the post you quoted mate.

Hawkerjet said:

·
Registered
730 Posts
AIS injects fresh air into the exhaust to dilute it.... Its not an EGR system.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It shouldn't be popping on decel with a stock ecu and exhaust should it?
I thought the block offs were only needed after a pipe.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
You will get popping in the stock exhaust and ECU. The thing is that it is so muffled that you don't notice it. The principle is still the same. With a catalytic converter, it is less prominent as the heat of the converter burns the leftover fuel less erratically.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
No I dont think they do? Do they?

I think you may be thinking of the DFCO (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off) that kills fuel on decel to the injectors.....this is disabled or more precisely fuel is added on decel again.

As far as I knew the AIS was a mechanical type of function? However I could be totally wrong, but I didnt think it was possible to do anything to the AIS by flashing the ECU as the valve still needs to be taken out and blocked off via the plate kit.
on the 09, the ais system is controlled by an ecu-actuated solenoid. if you get your ecu flashed by flash-tune, they'll disable the ais as part of their standard flash package. there's a setting for ais disable in the flash-tune software if you download it and take a look. don't know if ais disable is part of stoltec's package as he doesn't mention that particular feature, but i don't see why he wouldn't include it.

so with the ais disabled via flash, the blockoff plates are nice to have, but aren't strictly necessary.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts