Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've checked with K&N and they don't yet make a performance air filter for the 09.

Can anyone recommend a company who does? eBay also has no options.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Be very selective and research it very well before buying one. Many times, an aftermarket air filter doesn't flow as well as the stock air filter

Reactions: Yoyodyne

·
Registered
649 Posts
I would find it hard to believe that replacing an air filter increases performance.
In Wales though, a water resistant one may be of benefit

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
The air filter on the 09 seems to be 3 time bigger that it really need. I don't see any gain from a aftermarket one other than be able to clean it.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Be very selective and research it very well before buying one. Many times, an aftermarket air filter doesn't flow as well as the stock air filter
On my CBR954RR the K&N flowed less than the stock filter. There is a thread around here about the DNA filter.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
http://www.fz09.org/forum/14-fz-09-performance/770-released-today-dna-air-filter.html

As others have said, I'd stick with the stock filter. And if you find a filter that does flow more than the stock you'll need a new fuel map to take advantage of it.

RichBinAZ, did you hear the news? Arizona is so dry the stock filter cracks and allows unfiltered sandy air into your engine. You have to add a water mister to the intake... ;)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Most don't FILTER very well, either. In S AZ, we have a LOT of fine dust in the air that goes right thru any oiled gauze medium. I don't use them. For a street bike used for non-racing applications, there is no need for an aftermarket air filter. Hell, most owners won't keep a bike long enough to reach the factory-recommended replacement mileage...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts