Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had experience with both on the fz? Is the penske noticeably better? Or should i save 650 bucks and get the zx6rr shock?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I suspect that whether or not you can notice much difference depends on how hard you ride. There's no fixed answer for everyone. I have no experience with a zx6rr, but I have a Penske triple clicker and love it. If the FZ had come equipped with something as good as a zx6rr, I probably wouldn't have replaced it, but the OEM suspension was so bad I had to do something.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspect that whether or not you can notice much difference depends on how hard you ride. There's no fixed answer for everyone. I have no experience with a zx6rr, but I have a Penske triple clicker and love it. If the FZ had come equipped with something as good as a zx6rr, I probably wouldn't have replaced it, but the OEM suspension was so bad I had to do something.
Thanks, I'll be doing a few track days here and there, but mostly canyon carving and the occasional wheelie. I think ill go with the zx6rr shock then, now to find a good one..

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose I should add this to the question, how does the zx6rr shock compare to the zx10 shock? For a rider around 230 fully geared, which is going to work better for me?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
The zx6rr has high speed compression adjustment whereas the zx10 does not. The zx6rr has a spring rate of 575lb/in whereas the zx10 has a spring rate of 540 lb/in (I believe).

Both will be an improvement but for your size you'd want the zx6rr. I'm the same weight as you geared up and I have a zx10 shock in my SV. It works well for commuting but when I push it in the twisties, it doesn't perform as well as the zx6rr...but it's still decent.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the input. Looks like I'll just have to be patient while trying to snag a zx6rr shock.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I found mine listed on eBay as a zx6r shock so keep your eyes peeled.

Might ask on the Kawi forums too.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As i understand it the only difference visually between the zx6r and the zx6rr is the red accented nut/bolts for the rr correct?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I believe the zx6rr has raised casting/lettering on the backside.

·
Registered
520 Posts
From my understanding the penske triple is top line for the FZ, and fits like a glove, top notch, pricey but you get what you pay for. The zx6rr and zx10 are a significant noticable upgrades for a fraction of the price but requires a few minor mods to fit it (very easy though). If money is not an issue go penske triple, you may find the double clicker suits all of your needs though... I personally have the zx10 in mine but I only weigh 175 suited up.

Kaiser

·
Registered
673 Posts
I don't have any experience w/ the Penske, but plenty of members out there sharing positive feedback. I'm about 250lbs with gear and I went with a ZX10 Ohlins shock with a 610 spring I believe. Bought it off another forum member that was planning to install it in a 2nd FZ09, but he sold the bike and still had the shock. He had to do some minor machining work and I had to trim about 3" from the plastic tray just above the upper-shock mount to make room for the reservoir.

So, how does it feel? Awesome. Not only can I accelerate harder out of turns and straights, the vague rear-wheel feeling is gone. I can feel what the tire is doing below me. Especially important for the ballsy moments attempting to back it in :D

You can't go wrong with either, but Nick @ Stoltec will give you a bit more customization based on your weight/riding style. If you want to save some coin, go ZX shock (mine ran me $500 btw).

Edit: I had a really hard time locating a used ZX6RR shock and the few I did locate were used and cost as much as a Penske

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I went with the ZX6RR initially. I had it revalved and resprung at Traxxion Dynamics.

It cook a couple of trys to get it right. Stock it has too much compression damping. I am 190 lbs in riding gear and it beat me up pretty bad in the bumps. Had it revalved again reducing the compression damping by 50% and also installed a softer spring. This time it was pretty good.

But I kept thinking about the Penske double clicker and got one from Traxxion Dynamics. I really like it. The bike is the most planted it has ever been and the ride is just a little plusher than the Kawi.

Is it light years better, No. Was it worth the extra money, definitely yes.

Keep in mind that if you can find a ZX6RR for a decent price you should send it in for an overhaul and revalve to get optimum performance from it. I cannot say enough good things about Traxxion Dynamics.

So do the math. ZX6RR shock used: $50 to $100. Overhaul and revalve $225 plus shipping. If you weigh less than 200 pounds: New spring $100.

As you can see its pretty easy to go north of $400 on the Kawi. Traxxion sells their double clicker Penske for around $830 and free shipping.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
311 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts