Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got the winter blues, been working on my bike, a little maintenance etc. A friend of mine mentioned going up in a couple of months to the smokeys and riding the Tail...so it got me wanting to maybe finally upgrade my rear shock. I have read about the shock swaps, but am leery of a used shock that I would probably have to get rebuilt anyway. So I was thinking about the penske single clicker, just wanted some feedback. Maybe other options in that 6-700 dollar price range? Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the Penske 8900E, but I've only put about 200 miles on it, mostly on cold, wet slippery roads. Bike steering is much more stable; guess rear end was bouncing with oem shock. Have only adjusted damping so far. Started out very comfy with a barely noticeable pogo over bigger bumps. Tightened damping gradually(two clicks at a time) through the ride until the rear felt very taut and controlled. Actually a little harsh for the bumpy roads I frequent. I was still in the softer half of damping settings, so plenty of adjustment room for hotter days and dry road traction.

I think it'll work fine for my "smooth, carry momentum through the turns" riding style. Gladly run around the "dragon" area with this shock. I also have slightly stiffer fork springs (for my weight) and 7.5wt fork oil. Bike is much more stable and predictable. Hurry Spring!

I guess it depends on how aggressive you ride.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly, my part of the world has long straight flat roads, but I want to do more trips to twisty roads, I will never see a track, and like you I have a lot of bumpy roads, but I can avoid them most of the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts