Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, when my Penske shock arrived it had a washer ziptied to it. I've been looking at pictures and doing searches to see which side I should put that washer (bolt or nut). Stock one had a washer on both sides. I feel dumb for asking this. But if someone could enlighten me I'd very much appreciate it. I tried calling Penske and Traxxion, but neither company picked up the phone after numerous calls.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I can look at mine when I get home....assuming I did it right.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Goes on the bottom mounting bolt- one of the two stock washers is too big, so re use the one that fits and use that new one on the other side. (I can't remember which side and can't tell looking at it)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The top shock mount has a "block" to capture the head of the bolt on the left side of the bike (IIRC) and so the head goes on the left side and there is no washer or the head would not engage the "block" to keep it from turning.

For the bottom shock mount, I don't recall whether one side had a washer and the other did not.

I can't see any reason having a washer on both sides would be a bad thing.

Typically, if there is only one washer on a through bolt setting, the washer goes under the nut as the nut will be turning and would otherwise gall (score, dig, rough up) the surface under the nut.

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I have the top in and re-used the washer for that nut, I was figuring to do the same on the bottom. I believe both of the stock washers for the bottom were too big. My initial feeling was to put it on the nut side (New washer from Penske)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well shock is installed, sometimes I hate being so critical. The only thing that bothers me now is the top of the shock isn't super level, it's slightly leaning to the left.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will say, that shock is absolutely beautiful. Not as flashy as Ohlins or Nitron (which I dig). Still beautiful though...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts