Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the pegs on the FZ-09 the same as the FJ-09?

I just purchased a FJ-09 and was told that I could replace the stock pegs with those from a FZ6 to reduce the vibration. So, I ordered a set. The right-side peg is easy, just a cotter pin removal. The left side looks like it might need to be drilled out in order to remove it? If not, what tool would you use to remove the left-side peg? (I'm hoping the pegs on the FZ-09 are the same as the FJ-09 so that someone can provide some insight.)

TIA!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I don't know about the FJ09 pegs and I would have to check the FZ09 pegs to confirm but FZ1/8 and I think FZ09 pegs have at least one pivot pin that must be cut off by grinding the end off like you would for removing a pin in the chain. Then you replace the pin with a bolt or a clevis pin (available at most hardware stores)

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Just a drill bit to cut the peened part off. It takes two seconds. You will need another pin from an FZ6. I use those type of pegs to reduce vibration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FJ-09 Mods

If you want to sell those FJ pegs, let us know.
I have them... why would you want them?

My mods for this weekend:

FZ6 footpegs installed
Frame sliders installed
Rear rack installed
Rear pegs removed
Ball mount w/phone installed
Cal Science windscreen installed

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The 07 pegs do look like they will fit, but can't verify (I'd pop one off, but some dealers are funny like that).
I did get the aftermarket FZ6 pegs. The right one needs to be shimmed up a little, but they are much better in the rain than the slippery metal stock ones. Slightly higher too due to the rubber pad... I like the feel of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the way I did my FJ09. On the left side you can drill the head off the rivet with a 3/16 drill bit. Might need a little bigger drill but don't drill to deep. There is a washer under the head of the rivet save it and reuse.Take the pin and drill a 3/16 hole about 1/2 inch deep. Reassemble foot peg(I got mine off eBay for like $10.00 fz6)take a 3/16 stainless steel pop rivet the proper length for the hole you drilled and coat it with silicone sealant. Pull the rivet in the hole and it looks just like stock.

·
Registered
768 Posts
This is the way I did my FJ09. On the left side you can drill the head off the rivet with a 3/16 drill bit. Might need a little bigger drill but don't drill to deep. There is a washer under the head of the rivet save it and reuse.Take the pin and drill a 3/16 hole about 1/2 inch deep. Reassemble foot peg(I got mine off eBay for like $10.00 fz6)take a 3/16 stainless steel pop rivet the proper length for the hole you drilled and coat it with silicone sealant. Pull the rivet in the hole and it looks just like stock.
That's clever and cool! Good thinking!!!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I ordered rubber topped pegs off ebay for my 09. Same thing. Just drilled off the flange on the left side and knocked it out with a drift punch. The ebay pegs had the right springs, snap rings and pins. Piece of cake. They shipped from, you guessed it, China. But, they eventually arrived, cost ten bucks and work great. No more vibes to my feet (little that they were).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just installed a pair of these ebay rubber-topped footpegs on my XSR900. I used the snap rings on the pins that came with the replacement pegs, but I have to admit that the stock cotter pin (right side) and rivet (left side) seem less capable of failing than the snap rings. I'm not too worried about it, but a little curious if anyone has experience with snap rings breaking or otherwise failing. I guess I could easily drill out the pins and install a cotter pin in each side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts