Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have tips on adjusting the postion of the brake and shift pedals? My ankle sits at an uncomfortable angle right now so I'd like to lower the brake, but the manual only mentions free play adjustment.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
To adjust the brake pedal height you have to do 2 things, adjust the pedal and recheck/adjust the brake light switch. Before you change anything note how far you have to press the pedal for the brake light to come on.

Click the photo 2 or 3 times to get the full resolution.
Rear brake adjusting.jpg

Loosen the pedal lock nut, turn the adjuster to put the pedal where you want it. Tighten the lock nut.

Now check the brake light. It might be on all the time now, or you might have to press the pedal really hard for the light to come on.

Hold the top of the switch to keep it from turning as you turn the switch adjuster.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot, do you want to paste the solution to a new thread so this is more of a guide and I can delete this one?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Shift pedal height adjustment

Before you start roll the linkage rod between your thumb and finger, it should rock easily back and forth, this means the Heim joints (Rod end bearing - Wikipedia ) are close enough to the same orientation to move freely. When you finish try this again, if the joints aren’t moving freely loosen a lock nut and try again.

The top joint has a couple of flats for an 11mm wrench, an odd size. If you don’t have an 11mm a 7/16 inch wrench will work or maybe a 12mm wrench. While using wrenches on the lock nuts hold this spot steady so the force isn’t on the joints. Or you can use pliers on the knurled (cross hatched) part of the linkage rod.

The threads at the bottom of the linkage rod are reverse, clock wise tightens, not loosens. For both lock nuts if your wrench is about perpendicular to the bike moving the wrench forward will loose it. Loosen the bottom lock nut then the top.

Turn the linkage rod to move the pedal to your desired height. The lower the pedal is, the closer to the pavement your toe is during an up shift, if you are leaned way over for a left hand turn…; something to be aware of. Also if you lower the pedal a lot you might get to the point that the rod doesn’t have enough threads left in the joints, they are out of sight so hard to tell.

While tightening the lock nuts hold the top joint or linkage rod steady the way you did when loosening them. For both nuts, if the wrench handle is pointing away from the bike move it towards the rear of the bike to tighten. Tighten the top first. They don’t need to be crazy tight, if you want use blue Loctite, after the first rides check the nuts, linkage etc.

As I said at the beginning, check that the joints can move freely.

Thanks to: J Paul, DNFDoug, Motomania.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Everyone should set up there bike for there own needs like angle of the levers too , dont just take it as thats the way it is .

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Pliers OUCH, no, never on a nut. If you can buy the bike, you can buy a metric wrench set.
Piers and adjustable wrenches are tools of absolutely last resort as they bugger up the hardware for no reason.

A Craftsman metric wrench set is only about $25 (on sale).

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I edited the shifter how-to for pliers content. Yes I avoid pliers on nuts too, but something like that, low torque, in pinch, sometimes... my barnyard shows through. And yes, I've wrenched in real barnyards, standing in s***, etc lol.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When adjusting the rear brake light am I to loosen that plastic nut because it appears not to want to move? If it is that plastic nut any ideas on how to get it to move without destroying it.

Ok I got it to move. It's not only the nut that moves . The plastic nut is connected to or is part of the plastic piece that is pushed threw the metal bracket. So I used my now raw fingers to rotate the nut and also used a tiny screwdriver on the other side of the plastic part with other side of the bracket to help rotate it. That finally worked.

·
Registered
151 Posts
this reminds me I have to lower my shifter a tad I raised it up just a hair too much and I'm missing some shifts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
So, will adjusting the brake pedal down a bit help with ease of which the rear locks-up? It's very touchy!
yes it will

·
Registered
35 Posts
I want to further lower my shifter but I'm concerned about running out of threading or having it holding on by a thread. I don't want to have it come apart or break loose because it's just barley threaded. Any ideas?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I want to further lower my shifter but I'm concerned about running out of threading or having it holding on by a thread. I don't want to have it come apart or break loose because it's just barley threaded. Any ideas?
Take it apart and see how much threading is available. The bike is yours...right?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts