Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

PCV + Akrapovic = Check Engine

6K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  vcyclenut 
#1 ·
Yesterday I picked up a 2016 60th Anniversary. previous owner installed some awesome mods, including full akra carbon exhaust, and a power commander.

The bike runs very well, but it has the check engine light on. Guy I bought it from said it was because of an issue with the PCV map and the O2 sensor (I think) he put on there back in 2016, and that there is a more updated map that resolves this issue. I'd like to retain functionality of the check engine light.

I've never used a power commander, ECU flasher, or anything like that. Closest think I had was a TuneECU interface for my Bonneville T120 that doesn't actually tune anything, just lets you access diagnostics, etc.

From browsing this forum, it seems like over the lifespan of this bike, people have opted for sending their ECUs out for flashing, or for Flash Tune ECU interface, and that there seems to be many maps available for that. Was the previous owner correct about there being an updated PCV map that fixes the check engine light? See the Akra map on the DynoJet site, but there's no date.

What else should I know about power commanders? can I use it for diags/maintenance as well? like, checking fault codes and whatnot?

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on the bike.
You’re correct, many people send their ECU off to get flashed and it’s done. Personally, I’d do that and sell the PC. Just touch base w the vendor of your choice to be sure it will take care of your light. I’d think it will as they all have proper maps for that exhaust (assuming the problem is really what the seller said).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Thanks. I love this thing. Certainly leaves my T120 in the dust.

I think I’ll do that as a last resort. I do like the idea of the Flash Tune interface. Seems like that’s a better system for this bike than the power commander.

Still, If there’s a way to remedy it as is, I’m going to pursue that first. Just wanted to see if anyway had experience resolving that issue with the PCV

#5 · (Edited)
Hey guys new to the forum and I ran across this thread. So what I’m understanding is getting the ECU flashed is better than the pcv V. I flashed my r6 but I went with the pcv route on my MT. I’ve got Ark full fiber exhaust, air box snorkel kit and high flow air filter installed with the Pcv V ? I’m not getting any error codes or anything like that but I just want the most torque out I can “love those dang power wheelie’s!! Anybody with more experience got any good advice for me?

#6 ·
there are a lot of things that can cause a check engine light on the xsr but a poor fuel map on a PCV is not one of them. I would get a diagnostic tool and read the codes and clear them.

it could be something as silly as he tried to take off a couple times with the kick stand down or maybe he unplugged the o2 sensor

Yamaha diagnostic stinks and codes will not clear on their own even when the condition that caused the code is no longer present.

#7 ·
this thread describes a similar issue, but with FTECU instead of PCV. Either way, sounds like I should just check (and probably clear) the codes though.

Is there a OBD USB interface for this bike, like what I had for my T120? The one I had for that also allowed diagnostics to be run, allowed you to activate the ABS system during bleeding, etc.

I've also seen a few threads mentioning block off plates for AIS, and having them, or maybe not having them them triggers a check engine light. I might be mixing some of that up, I'm not super familiar with the anatomy of this and it's mods yet bike yet. I've been reading a lot in this forum to catch up.

#8 ·
you cant compare the pcv to the ftecu flashing interface, very different

there is a plug under the seat, its small square and white with a rubber cover. you need an obd sensor and the correct harness to plug into it

on your bike if you unplug the ais solenoid you will get a check engine light if the ecu is not flashed to turn it off. Block off plates can still be put on you just have to leave the solenoid plugged in

#9 ·
on your bike if you unplug the ais solenoid you will get a check engine light if the ecu is not flashed to turn it off. Block off plates can still be put on you just have to leave the solenoid plugged in
Got it, thanks for that explanation. This is starting to make more sense. When I test rode the bike, and asked the previous owner about the check engine light, he mentioned something about block off plates, and something being disconnected, and that an updated ECU flash was the fix. Not having the context, I assumed he was referring to something about the installation of the exhaust and power commander.

Looks like I should just buy an OBD scanner and see if it throws the code for the air intake sensor. I downloaded the service manual, I think it's P1607.

I've never bought a dedicated OBD scanner before, only that OBD/USB interface for my T120. Will this do the job?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.