Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im from greece and i just baught a street rally version.i have a problem with the parking light,i try to light them on but nothing happend.is there anyone else that it has the same problem??

Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Καλησπέρα φίλε και καλοτάξιδο!

I am not sure if anything is different in the US version of most of the people in this forum but in our Greek version (and european in general) the MT09 when you turn the key to 'P' spot the parking lights won't stay on! (As you may used to in other bikes) The only thing you can do turn on while having your key turned in parking spot is the alarm signals! So don't worry its totally normal!

Enjoy your bike!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My parking light will not light.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyone knows how to rewire to get a parking light switch? I want only the parking ligt to be on during day time and then hit a swith to get my low beam.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
It depends where you live as to whether it is even legal. In Canada you must have your headlight on all the time, day or night, when the vehicle is being driven. You can get a ticket if your headlight is not on during the day.

Personally, even if if it was legal to ride without the headlight on. I would turn it on just to be seen better by other cars on the road.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It depends where you live as to whether it is even legal. In Canada you must have your headlight on all the time, day or night, when the vehicle is being driven. You can get a ticket if your headlight is not on during the day.

Personally, even if if it was legal to ride without the headlight on. I would turn it on just to be seen better by other cars on the road.
Yeah I know its not legal to run without the low beam but there are alot of stuff thats not legal like speeding and more stuff. I wanna know if someone knows how to add a button on the left side of the handlebar where the full beam swith are. There is an empty spot where I would like to ad a button to turn off my low beam so only the parking light is on

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Having ones Headlights altered with augmentation is very common in South Florida. In fact, I'm aware of a few here on this forum who are proud of their augmentation.....and I'm thinking of one in particular.:cool:

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
In that case the first thing you want to try is unplug the headlight, run the bike and make sure you don't get a Fault code.

If you don't get a fault code, then you can add an inline switch to turn on/off the headlight. Then you will need to find a switch that is rated for 15.0 amp to match the amp draw of the headlight fuse. As it will need to be able to handle the amp draw of turning on the headlight if it is in the high beam setting.

Something like this: New Car Truck Boat ATV Motorcycle Off on Black Push Button Horn Switch Button | eBay

Then comes the fun part to see if there is enough room inside the left handlebar control to add the switch. If not, you might have to add it on the handlebars next to the left clutch lever/mirror perch.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Certainly flunks the touch test, passes the sniff test, and oftentimes scores 100 on the visual while grabbing all the extra credit points too.:D

Reactions: Thantos

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Yeah I know its not legal to run without the low beam but there are alot of stuff thats not legal like speeding and more stuff. I wanna know if someone knows how to add a button on the left side of the handlebar where the full beam swith are. There is an empty spot where I would like to ad a button to turn off my low beam so only the parking light is on
Seems like a lot of trouble to go through, just to attract unnecessary attention to yourself from the police. Good luck with that!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Seems like a lot of trouble to go through, just to attract unnecessary attention to yourself from the police. Good luck with that!
Staring at augmented headlights is Not a crime.:cool:

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
The only advantage I can see is if you do track days and you don't want the light on under the tape. Other than that, it's just plain crazy to do something that makes it harder to be seen while on the road.

How do you say, it looked like a good idea at the time???

658975a4772c10270031fbbe602a647c.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
In that case the first thing you want to try is unplug the headlight, run the bike and make sure you don't get a Fault code.

If you don't get a fault code, then you can add an inline switch to turn on/off the headlight. Then you will need to find a switch that is rated for 15.0 amp to match the amp draw of the headlight fuse. As it will need to be able to handle the amp draw of turning on the headlight if it is in the high beam setting.

Something like this: New Car Truck Boat ATV Motorcycle Off on Black Push Button Horn Switch Button | eBay

Then comes the fun part to see if there is enough room inside the left handlebar control to add the switch. If not, you might have to add it on the handlebars next to the left clutch lever/mirror perch.
Thank you. Not an expert on this but do I onley need to add a wire on the + and - wires up to my button or do i need to cut of the wires and rewire + first to my button then down again to my headlight? Also for the - cable of course

I know its not so good to do it because other people dont see me as good as before. I think the headlight looks so dam good with only the parking lights on.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Thank you. Not an expert on this but do I only need to add a wire on the + and - wires up to my button or do i need to cut of the wires and rewire + first to my button then down again to my headlight? Also for the - cable of course
If it were me, I would put the switch in the ground side. there is no reason to have another hot wire running up to the handlebar switch when you can easily control it with a ground .

tl;dr: cut the ground wire and put your switch between the 2 ends , when you actuate the switch and break the ground, the light will go out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well for me, I replaced my parking lights with very brilliant LEDs and they perfectly match my main headlight which is LED as well. I thought it could be interesting having the main headlight off and both parking lights on as they are pretty intense, while riding. I do not really like KTM bikes headlight but somehow my setup looks like one, but better look;) . I installed a black plastic box on which i put a waterproof lever type switch, thats turns on and off the main light. The box is placed directly above the original Mirror spot but as threads arent standard, i simply used a plastic kind of pop rivet that are used to hold cars bumpers. I did not cut any wire, i only used connectors between the black wire that runs from the switch to the LEDs connection and the connection itself. So if my setup causes me any issues i can go back to standard wiring with no mess to deal with. Cost me 3$ and a used 120V power cable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts