Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has painted their stock exhaust/catalytic converter and which high temp. Paint did or did not work out for you.
I'm going to wait til next season to upgrade exhaust to give the market time for more competetive prices and option variety so i'm gonna black out stock if the feedback supports it.

Was thinking of grinding down those ugly mig welds and brazing a nice tig finish on some of it too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
there are a couple pics floating around of people who have painted the stock exhaust. some people painted the cat, others painted the goldish part of the pipe. ceramic coating would be your best bet, but if you are only needing it for one season, high temp spray paint should work. i wouldnt paint the headers with it though, as those are bound to come into contact with a good bit more road debris than the cat would

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, im just gonna paint exhaust pipe and cat from that first butt weld or socket slip joint weld (not sure what the joint is) and back.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Painted mine, but had it ceramic coated as I have no plans to change the exhaust. I recall someone rattle canning theirs with some high temp paint. I'll do some searching and see if I can find the thread.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Found it! (is it just me, or is it next to impossible to find anything in the "what have you done to your bike today thread")

He used VHT Ceramic Header Paint. Might want to PM him to see how its holding up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
(is it just me, or is it next to impossible to find anything in the "what have you done to your bike today thread")
it is impossible. especially if you have your settings like me where you have 40 posts per page. the page numbers never translate correctly

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
@ Lucky Devil

Nice work!! that cleaned up really nice. It looks so much better, If I was keeping my stock exhaust I would have done the same thing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Found it! (is it just me, or is it next to impossible to find anything in the "what have you done to your bike today thread")

He used VHT Ceramic Header Paint. Might want to PM him to see how its holding up.
I painted mine with flat black VHT header paint. I painted the exhaust pipe cover with a metallic black VHT engine paint. The metallic black they make matches our bikes perfect. It only been a few weeks but it still looks great.

Make sure you follow the directions on the can, if you do not bake it in the oven after spraying it. If you follow the instructions it will turn out great. I had to learn the hard way.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate the info guys.. And exhaust looks really nice dev, i was considering mat blk but you may have swung me to tge mat gray option with those pics.. May have to steal your mod my man ;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
hey mortal, do you have any shots of your entire bike with the exhaust painted. i want an idea of what the whole package looks like, but from what ive seen i really dig what youve done.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Painted mine, but had it ceramic coated as I have no plans to change the exhaust. I recall someone rattle canning theirs with some high temp paint. I'll do some searching and see if I can find the thread.

how much did it cost to get the exhaust ceramic coated?

I was thinking about getting the entire exhaust ceramic coated header and tail pipe.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
cermaic coatings

My Akrapovic was $100 to have ceramic applied.

Though, the stock scrotum would cost more.
where did you have yours done at?

there is a place near me locally that does nothing but motorcycle exhaust, and ceramic coating. couldn't call today,

did you remove the exhaust or did you let them remove it and reinstall the exhaust?

did you have the header coated?

did you paint it? or did you have it ceramic coated the color you wanted it?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.