Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - I'm the proud owner of a brand new MT-09SP ;). It's my first "without a center stand" bike so I picked up a paddock stand from Oxford (big black something).

Now.. I feel like the spools are low enough on this bike OR that this stand is too high because it takes way too much force to put it on! The bike also ends up very high. Using the angled support on the swingarm makes it better but I'd prefer the safety of spools.

ANy recommendations?

see here - wheel is around 5in off the ground and the spool end up around 15.5in high...

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Here’s mine for reference.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx.. so yours looks like it's 1in lower. Do you know which brand it is?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Talking of spools for a rear paddock stand, I recall reading here some time ago that it is best to remove them from the bike before riding off, as they can dig into the road surface and ruin the swing-arm if the bike is dropped at any speed. I guess the other sort of spools or bobbins that are designed to minimise damage in the event of an 'off' are of a different/ slippier material with more rounded edges so they will not dig in. I took the advice as it's my first experience with a paddock stand/ spools - it's only a moment's work when riding out and on return - but I'd be interested in any comments/ experiences with this.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Talking of spools for a rear paddock stand, I recall reading here some time ago that it is best to remove them from the bike before riding off, as they can dig into the road surface and ruin the swing-arm if the bike is dropped at any speed. I guess the other sort of spools or bobbins that are designed to minimise damage in the event of an 'off' are of a different/ slippier material with more rounded edges so they will not dig in. I took the advice as it's my first experience with a paddock stand/ spools - it's only a moment's work when riding out and on return - but I'd be interested in any comments/ experiences with this.
If my bike is going down that hard, I don't want it back anyway

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
That is to high and I wouldn't live with it. The thing must be a bitch to get up!
llavalle, try to return the stand, if that's not possible some simple work can make it the way it should be.
Simply cut about three inches from the upright tubes, insert some appropriate size steel tubes and then bolt it all together.
In the end your rear wheel should be about two or three inches off the ground.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
deffo too much worrying... sure it's high, some are, some are closer to 4".... but it doesn't matter as long as it's stable.
That's the thing - it's not really stable!

That is to high and I wouldn't live with it. The thing must be a bitch to get up!
llavalle, try to return the stand, if that's not possible some simple work can make it the way it should be.
Simply cut about three inches from the upright tubes, insert some appropriate size steel tubes and then bolt it all together.
In the end your rear wheel should be about two or three inches off the ground.
Yeah, it was a PITA to get it up. Took my full weight and then some. Cutting it won't work as it has braces so I think I'll just return it (or sell it).

I just bit the bullet and bought the Abba

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Thx.. so yours looks like it's 1in lower. Do you know which brand it is?
Some cheapo brand. Venom I think.

Also RIP to the little frog I crushed last night on accident.
Just saw this morning that when I moved my bike I must have rolled over him. :(

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,668 Posts
The spools are installed with a 6mm screw. That screw will snap off long before the swingarm would be damaged.

What I prefer is to use a fairly small, low-profile spool, which is less likely to catch on anything. The large plastic “slider” type spools can still get caught due to their size, and they can - and do - break off.

If you really want to protect the swingarm (and the spools, for that matter), use the kind of sliders that have a bar running through the axle. They’re larger and much more heavy duty than spool sliders…

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just bit the bullet and bought the Abba
Yeah the Abba's great. Only issue I ever had with it was one time after I used it, the right side fitting piece stayed on the bike and I went out for a ride and of course it went off to nowhereland. Had to get a replacement set, but that was my own fault for not paying attention.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Driven Racing Axle Block Sliders Yamaha FZ-09 / FJ-09 / XSR900

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah the Abba's great. Only issue I ever had with it was one time after I used it, the right side fitting piece stayed on the bike and I went out for a ride and of course it went off to nowhereland. Had to get a replacement set, but that was my own fault for not paying attention.
Will definitely keep that in mind! Thx!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey guys - I'm the proud owner of a brand new MT-09SP ;). It's my first "without a center stand" bike so I picked up a paddock stand from Oxford (big black something).

Now.. I feel like the spools are low enough on this bike OR that this stand is too high because it takes way too much force to put it on! The bike also ends up very high. Using the angled support on the swingarm makes it better but I'd prefer the safety of spools.

ANy recommendations?

see here - wheel is around 5in off the ground and the spool end up around 15.5in high...

View attachment 165841 View attachment 165842 View attachment 165843
I have used cheaper ones before but bit the bullet last year and bought the Pit Bull front and rear stands and they are easy to use and are as stable as you can get. Just my .02 cents tho.

·
Registered
537 Posts
As with most other things in life, you get what you pay for. I had never needed a rear wheel stand until I bought my late BMW R9T, which had no main stand on the bike - and the absence of a rear axle left a hole of about 2" diameter through which a mounting peg on the stand was fitted. Height was adjustable to suit one's needs. The brand is a locally-made ANDERSON STANDS item, beautifully finished in powder-coat and very solidly made, resembling bits taken from the Sydney Harbour bridge!

My 'Spacesaver' model had three sets of casters which swivelled, thereby allowing the bike to be pushed around in any direction simply and easily with one hand, very useful when parking it out of the way in a tight garage space. The front wheels are braked too, locking those wheels for ease of lifting the bike (bottom two pix) - which was really very simple too. The stand also provided a very level and stable platform for when working on the bike. I am the prototype seven-stone weakling and had no difficulty or strain whatsoever lifting or lowering the bike. Not cheap, but Rolls Royce quality and well worth the dosh, and I have another one on order now for my new SP.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I've just had mine up on the stand, if I'd seen this I could have measured it. Mine's not quite as high as yours, but it also needs a fair shove to hoist it up.
I wouldn't worry about it, you're only going to use it on a level surface.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
55 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts