Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
See post # 11 in this thread.

I was wondering if there might be any interest in putting something together for those in the MidWest, like the recent East Coast Rally .
Maybe the tasty bits running across north central Arkansas from Eureka Springs to Mountain View?

Anybody?

I've logged a dozen trips to Arkansas and despite it being a 10 hour pull for me, I ind the roads to be worth the trip. The Spring is usually stormy, the Summer is always hot and the Fall can just right. Of course, weather is a matter of luck. I've ridden there in 108F temps, tornadoes, hailstorms, hurricanes, floods and drought. What it does have going for it, is cheap eats, cheap hotels, nearly no traffic enforcement and interesting roads.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I could probably swing it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
yes ,, that sounds awesome,,
I'm in LR & have always wanted to experience (The Pig Trail),
so many options in the Ozarks,,
Ark. has a motorcycle guide with maps, riding tours, Attractions,& accommodations,
so yes I'm interested ,,& mad at myself for never taking advantage of such
a ride

·
Super Moderator
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As there was limited interest, I never gave it much attention. My Fall Calendar is now full. But with that said, It's never too early to think about next year. Let's see what this thread generates over the Winter. But of course, if enough of you want to give it a go before the end of 2016, I would be happy to give you all some route suggestions and a list of places to stay that I found to be decent.

·
Registered
446 Posts
How about October 28-31 (2016) in Eureka Springs located in the north part of the state or Clarksville further south off IH40?

I have ridden the area several times, so I have some great routes lined up. Arkansas is one of the few riding states in the US that has many excellent roads. You simply pick most two lane county roads in the western part of the state and you'll have a superb time on your bike.

Bull Shoals (HWY 125 ) crosses a lake via a ferry and it makes for a great "Kodak" moment.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would love to be able to commit to a ride in Eureka Springs or around Table Rock Lake, but I have no idea what my schedule will be like in a couple of months. If you don't mind other bikes joining in, I might get a couple of friends together to make the trip out from OKC.

·
Super Moderator
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How about October 28-31 (2016) in Eureka Springs located in the north part of the state or Clarksville further south off IH40?

Way to go Tex! I was hoping that someone more proximate would pick this up. Now, all to do is get a half dozen, or so, riders to sign on and away you go. So many great roads in that part of the state. A great and easy getaway for anyone in Oklahoma, Missouri, Mississippi or Illinois.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hard to say that far in advance as I sometimes have to travel for work, but that sounds like a blast and it would be great to meet some members in person.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Way to go Tex! I was hoping that someone more proximate would pick this up. Now, all to do is get a half dozen, or so, riders to sign on and away you go. So many great roads in that part of the state. A great and easy getaway for anyone in Oklahoma, Missouri, Mississippi or Illinois.
FZ09 Ride Weekend in the Ozarks
October 28-31, 2016
Clarksville, Ar. - location map

Motel rates are found here. Best Western and Quality Inn has prices around $70 per night which includes breakfast.

The weather in Arkansas during this time of year ranges from 75 in the day and 45-50 degrees at night. You can expect an occasional rain shower in the afternoon. The ride selection is excellent with many twisty options.

roads-ar-2016.JPG

·
Registered
446 Posts
Tucson to Arkansas would take at least one LONG days ride, but I might be talked into it.
That would be amazing if you did that. :) Your ride would qualify as a SaddleSore 1000. The shortest route would be around 1,000 miles via Amarillo and then into Oklahoma...> Clarksville. The second option would route through the middle of Texas via El Paso and then head towards Paris, Texas. From Paris it is a short hop into the middle of Arkansas.

·
Super Moderator
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have many favorite spots in Arkansas, but perhaps one of the best is in Calico Rock just west of the town at Calico Street standing on the high bluff overlooking the White River. There is a small rental cabin at 500 Calico Street that is posted, but I've never had a problem with a trespassing citation if there are no guests in the cabin. I've always enjoyed staying at the Cliff House near Jasper and the run down Hwy123 from near there. Lunch at the Oark General Store Home is usually an interesting affair with good food and all sorts of riders stopping there. The last time there, I met five riders from Monterey Mexico that were on their way to Montana. The bathroom at the General Store, is perhaps the best outfitted lavatory in the Continental USA.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Lunch at the Oark General Store Home is usually an interesting affair with good food and all sorts of riders stopping there. The last time there, I met five riders from Monterey Mexico that were on their way to Montana. The bathroom at the General Store, is perhaps the best outfitted lavatory in the Continental USA.
Places where the roads are great but the scenery is also pleasant would be a big portion of Northwest Arkansas and Southwest Missouri. Roads of note include Mo 90, starting in the far SW corner of the state in a town called Noel and running East to Washburn. It is very pretty countryside but you really don't have time to give it much thought because the roads is very twisty and has quite a bit of elevation changes. There are stories of motorcycle riders getting motion sick and some have even lost the horizon and become disoriented from the rapid flipping back and forth. Just North of Washburn is Cassville, where you can run Mo 76 East to Cape Fair through the Mark Twain National Forest, which is much like Mo 90. Mo 125 running South from Oldfield to Ar 125 in Yellville, Ar., is another great ride.

·
Super Moderator
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MO 112 from Seligman to Roaring Fork SP was a nice little discovery for me. I was trying to escape the hell of Bikes, Blues & BBQ and later I spent the day working my way east along the Missouri/Arkansas border back to my base in Horseshoe Bend. There are hundreds of miles of interesting roads in that part of our great country. I do hope that there will be many FZ'ers that manage to get away and come along for what will surely be a great weekend in the Ozarks.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts