Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Riders... :) this is part 1 out of 2 parts, it is simply to cold -5 in Minnesota to install them with all the snow around and no heated garage -grin
I finally got my Oxford Heaterz from Twisted Throttle, btw these are the new 2012 model that have all new electronics-controller plus better grips. I choose the touring model to counter the vibration going none OEM.

I will post more pictures and instructions on how I connected the main lead, most likely I will connect it to a Power Module and not directly to the battery -stay tune.
The grips feel very solid plus the contours - various shapes gives me an excellent contact surface. Installation looks simple, but make sure to dry fit and choose a location for your controller.

click for an larger image
OXFORD-PremiumHeatedGrips-Info9.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just bought the same grips on amazon for about $70 shipped... took two weeks all in all. Can't wait to install them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi, any reason you didn't go with the Genuine Yamaha Heated grips? Can you guys post a picture of where you mounted the controller. Also, how happy are you with the Oxford 2 months later?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi, any reason you didn't go with the Genuine Yamaha Heated grips? Can you guys post a picture of where you mounted the controller. Also, how happy are you with the Oxford 2 months later?
Certainly xHD, however our weather up here in Minnesota was always -10 plus. And because I do not have a heated attached garage it is a real artic chore to do any work on my 9er :)

I should get spikes and run on ice lol
2014-MPLS-Winter.jpg

My preferred location is on the back side of the top plastic tank cover (facing the fork), pic is from the lower half of the tank plastic cover.
Not a good photo, but as you are on the bike you can easy +- the control heated buttons.
09-heatedControllerLoc.jpg

It will be in that cove, thanks 'NINER' I'm using your photo ;-)
Niner-USB-loc.jpg

More to come... this weekend it will be in the 20tees, so I can get my 8mm metric Allen out and install those awesome grips.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
these are the new 2012 model that have all new electronics-controller plus better grips
Glad to hear they upgraded the controller.

I installed a set of these on my KLR (back in 2010) and had problems with the controller right out of the box. I contacted them and they sent me a new controller that developed problems withing a few weeks :mad: Contacted them again and they sent me yet another... that was defective out of the box. Contacted them AGAIN and they just offered to refund a portion of the cost of the set to cover buying a controller from someone else.

Customer service gets an A, but wow... quality control gets an F

Just out of curiosity, does it say where it was manufactured?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have the ones one generation previous to these- got it for under $50 from Twisted Throttle. Not sure if there is a significant difference as compared to the generation before that one. I am pretty happy with them. In temperatures above 26/28 F these keep my hands nice and toasty...sometimes, if it is windy, when stopped at a light, I take my hands out of my gloves and hold the grips if my fingers get cold. Since that is not a good idea in temperatures lower than 25 or less, I got heated gloves. Now, am covered from about 18F without cold fingers...grips get hot but fingers always manage to get cold- thats where heated gloves can help. If you dont see such low temperatures, Oxford heated grips are probably the best value.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Had mine for just over a month... loving them. Just a tad thicker than OEM so you should have normal to larger than normal hands. I usually only use them at 50%, while 75% in extreme ("California 50 degree") weather. Only time i put it up to 100% is to quickly warm them up. I pointed mine on a nut that holds my RAM ball mount.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok ok.. today was 40 degrees yeaaahh, to bad I don't have light in my garage and was getting bit chilly.
Ohh well, took me about 15 minutes to get both stock grip off.
As usual to dissolve glue I use Carb cleaner (upps if that's a bad idea -sorry) spritz here and there plus use my trusted concave spoon handle -done
gripz-tools.jpg
Clean of any residual glue and prep myself to glue the heated gripz..

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OK ok.. 50ths today, I can't believe it guys sooo awesome -grin
We still have snow in the alley and on the roads but I hear the streams forming rivers.

Now back to my long overdue completion of the heated grip installation;
- used the stainless mounting plate from OXFORD, to mount their controller
- used OXFORD washers with my own course threaded self tapping screws
- used high end black snap-ties to secure the molded cables running of the grips
- routed and connected both harness (2x grips and controller) under the tank between the foam lining)
- I did NOT connected the OXFORD controller directly to the battery
- I'm using a 3 Circuit Sealed Fuse box Kit from Cycle Terminal , simply because I don't like to run anything straight from the battery without protection.
- I used a long curing Epoxy, simple because the new grips where very very tight (used a rubber mallet) to get on the bar.

I mounted the OXFORD plate to the controller
OxfordHeatedGripz-mountingplate.jpg

Attached the controller to the Fuel Tank cover
OxfordHeatedGripz-console-mounted.jpg

Bike view of the semi concealed heated grips OXFORD controller
OxfordHeatedGripz-ControllerBikeview02.jpg

Tested it with and without gloves.. all great, and doesn't impede a full steering lock
OxfordHeatedGripz-BIkeControllerview.jpg

OxfordHeatedGripz-ControllerBikeview01.jpg

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
This is a great job- I wish I had thought of that placement! . Did you connect it to the relay yet so that it cannot be turned on when the ignition is off? Mine wasn't and someone turned it on and my battery died yesterday! I want a way to do it on this bike. Also, are you having any issue of the connectors coming off loose at all?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
.... Did you connect it to the relay yet so that it cannot be turned on when the ignition is off? ... Also, are you having any issue of the connectors coming off loose at all?
Good points;
- yes it's hooked into one of the 3 Cycle terminal fuse harness connectors
* also I'm not such great crimper so I dropped sodder on it
* btw I relay like Cycle Terminal, he gave me tips and the fuse harness was excellent quality, check this thread
- and I double wrapped the connectors, just to make sure vibration, condensation, or other elements wont mess up the connections
- also I tuck all connectors nicely to the left and right site under the tank between the foam
- connected the Posi-tap to my tail light (I had to extend the wire)

Hope that helps... it was a quick and fun projects. I just had to plan it through and get all parts line-up..
BTW the grips are thicker, I like it better because now my finger grip is more open aka relaxed vs. more closed = more strain

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Good points;
- yes it's hooked into one of the 3 Cycle terminal fuse harness connectors
* also I'm not such great crimper so I dropped sodder on it
* btw I relay like Cycle Terminal, he gave me tips and the fuse harness was excellent quality, check this thread
- and I double wrapped the connectors, just to make sure vibration, condensation, or other elements wont mess up the connections
- also I tuck all connectors nicely to the left and right site under the tank between the foam
- connected the Posi-tap to my tail light (I had to extend the wire)

Hope that helps... it was a quick and fun projects. I just had to plan it through and get all parts line-up..
BTW the grips are thicker, I like it better because now my finger grip is more open aka relaxed vs. more closed = more strain
Thanks for the response. Sounds like this is what I need. I am using a Powerlet terminal but it does not hook up to the ignition in any way.
Which connectors did you use (there are a few options on the cycle terminal page)? And does this become hot only when the ignition is on? Does it do that by tapping into the tail light wire?
Could you share some pictures of how the install has been made so it's easier to understand- esp all the wiring?

What I like about your install is that you don't have extra wires coming from the handlebar through the headstock into the main frame.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the response. Sounds like this is what I need. I am using a Powerlet terminal but it does not hook up to the ignition in any way.
Which connectors did you use (there are a few options on the cycle terminal page)? And does this become hot only when the ignition is on? Does it do that by tapping into the tail light wire?
Could you share some pictures of how the install has been made so it's easier to understand- esp all the wiring?

What I like about your install is that you don't have extra wires coming from the handlebar through the headstock into the main frame.
Sorry about the late reply motorock... (haven't gotten an email of this new posting)
does this become hot only when the ignition is on?
- Yes the accessory in this case heated grips are only getting amps when the ignition light is on (hence the pig-tail, so that the relay sense amps and turns it on)
Does it do that by tapping into the tail light wire?
- Yes, or any other power-source that power on after the ignition is switch on. I used the VIZI Tech Brake modulator with an additional harness to pig tail into it. 20% off right now (code: VTFZ92020 ).. btw Bernard is an awesome guy and his products really Rocks!
t's easier to understand- esp all the wiring
Hmmm, the Oxford heated grips is as simple as it can get, 3 harness, 2 grips into the main controller and the main controller harness into the power harness.
And the power harness pos & neg I clipped and crimped unto the Cycle Terminal fuse harness. The posi-tail I connected to VIZI-Tech Brake modulator all done.
But I will shoot more pics for you later :)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Sorry about the late reply motorock... (haven't gotten an email of this new posting)
does this become hot only when the ignition is on?
- Yes the accessory in this case heated grips are only getting amps when the ignition light is on (hence the pig-tail, so that the relay sense amps and turns it on)
Does it do that by tapping into the tail light wire?
- Yes, or any other power-source that power on after the ignition is switch on. I used the VIZI Tech Brake modulator with an additional harness to pig tail into it. 20% off right now (code: VTFZ92020 ).. btw Bernard is an awesome guy and his products really Rocks!
t's easier to understand- esp all the wiring
Hmmm, the Oxford heated grips is as simple as it can get, 3 harness, 2 grips into the main controller and the main controller harness into the power harness.
And the power harness pos & neg I clipped and crimped unto the Cycle Terminal fuse harness. The posi-tail I connected to VIZI-Tech Brake modulator all done.
But I will shoot more pics for you later :)
Thanks for the reply. I am interested in the terminal for sure. I shot him an email but got no response.
TT sent me a free replacement of the new controller (I had the V7) installed but am having some problems in getting it to work with the old grips- Oxford says that there should be no problem so still trying to figure out the issue there. Despite that having a relay would be great! Look forward to the wiring- but I think I understand it more or less now.

·
Registered
115 Posts
- used the stainless mounting plate from OXFORD, to mount their controller
- used OXFORD washers with my own course threaded self tapping screws

[EDIT] Looks like the mounting plate is included with the kit (Dec 2016)

Digging this thread back up. Where did you get the mounting plate? I can't seem to find it either on Revzilla or Oxford's site.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts