Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 14 FZ09 today. I rode it home in the rain and snow flakes. I thought I would post an honest review of my initial impressions.

A bit of background, this is my third bike - GS500F, YZF600R, 2014 FZ-09.

My first impression was how unbelievably light it is. It feels like a big toy. At slow speed and even at a fast clip the bike is extremely nimble and very confidence inspiring for new riders. Walking beside the bike I was shocked its so easy to push around the garage.

Let me be clear, this is not a bike for new riders. B mode would be similar to my 600 YZF, with standard and A mode unleashing all hell. The bike will power wheelie in first and second easily in standard mode, the tire lifts very controllably and is almost unnoticeable. The bike pulls hard - you look down and are in shock how fast you are going. The bike goes 100 km/h to 150 km/h in a neck snapping thrust that is almost instant. The stock exhaust is loud enough to keep me amused I don't think a slip on will be needed.

The bike is fantastic and I smiled the entire way home until I was frozen solid.

A few negatives. The throttle control that every one else speaks of is not a issue however i will say the throttle has slack, and in a sense feels cheap, it's odd. I cannot really describe it. The front end feels light and loose, it will take some getting used to. The bike is comfortable however some wind protection will be a must.

Over all I am very impressed. Any questions PM me.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Glad you made it home in potentially dangerous conditions. Nothing like a little water, and possibly ice, to grease up a roadway. There's two things that have yet to land in south central Alaska. Snow, and the FZ-09. Thanks for the honest assessment.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Great review, I have to ask did you test ride it before you bought it and is there any storage under the seat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am Canadian - mine is one of the first in Canada. No storage under the seat. Not even enough to keep your insurance slip. The bike is very compact, no spare room.
I rode in B mode in the wet, no problems. Mine has battlax tires. S20s I believe.
Did not ride it before I bought it. I was hooked on the stats alone!
I expect the front tire will last a long time on this bike, it's not on the ground much.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Congrats mr Red,
You will find the throttle slack adjuster in the cable under the speedo. There is no adjustment at either end of the cables.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thing is that the bike has a very positive clutch engagement. The bike is easy to pull away with all the torque.
I cannot explain how amazing the gear indicator is. I didn't search for the infamous 7th gear all the way home.
Very light clutch feel. I'll be honest the first thing I thought on the bike is that this would be an amazing bike to learn on, it is so stable at slow speed, and easily reacts to very small inputs. That idea quickly faded when I was staring at the clouds after a quick roll of the wrist!

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Congrats on the new Rapid red,....Rapid red! (sometimes I crack myself up). It is a seriously fun bike and wait till you find out that 3rd gear, in the A mode, at about 9K RPM will lift the front tire off the ground. You'll have to get the smile surgically removed from your face!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts