Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using a DIY overhead lift (say from ceiling joists) to raise the bike front end? What slings are you using? I am thinking of adapting a light duty hoist (uses 1/8" aircraft cable) since front wheel stand does not work due to asymmetrical forks. Appreciate learning from your experience.

·
Registered
990 Posts
A DIY overhead lift may be a step ladder and a couple of ratcheting tie straps :D

Front end of the bike weighs less than most of us...

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I've used eye hooks in the joists and ratchet straps in the past, but really the best way to get the front wheel off the ground is with a steering stem stand. The horn is in the way on the FZ09, but I think most people have relocated their horn anyway. I haven't used an under-the-fork-leg type of front stand in many years. I never liked them. The bike is much more stable on a stem stand.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I have something set up in my garage that could be used for doing that. I have Olympic rings attached to the ceiling for working out and if it can hold my 200lb weight moving and bouncing it could surely hold half of a 400lb bike. I attached 2 2x6's across 2 rafter joists and then attached 2 pipe nipples to each board and then added elbows and pipe between the nipples. I attach my straps to the pipes and my rings attach to the adjustable straps. Not sure if that is clear, but yes it could be done, but I agree a good front stand is probably more practical, more expensive, but more practical.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ratcheting tie down straps.

Take one under the triple clamp, up around between the tank and handlebars, and back under again. Connect the tie down hooks to the hook from the hoist - and use the ratchet side to equalize the tension. Use another strap and go around the handlebars at the their mounts and then up to the hoist.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I made one of these to service the forks on my friends FJR1300. Cheap and easy. Took me 5 minutes to make.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ratcheting tie down straps.

Take one under the triple clamp, up around between the tank and handlebars, and back under again. Connect the tie down hooks to the hook from the hoist - and use the ratchet side to equalize the tension. Use another strap and go around the handlebars at the their mounts and then up to the hoist.
Thanks, this is useful. My plan was to use a surplus hand winch (worm gear type) mounted on a wall and lead the cable to overhead position with 2 pulleys on the ceiling. Then drop a web sling under the triple clamp. I had not thought of securing the bar ends as you suggest. Now I see that if the handle bars are free it will be awkward working on the wheel. I have all the parts except the sling. I can fit web straps to bar ends or even use the Canyon Dancer (a pig to use on the wide bar. Whatcha think?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
When I changed the front tire on my prior bike, I used a quality barbell under the steering head, supporting by a step ladder on each side. I wrapped a towel around the barbell and had my rear stand tied to the rear spools while weighted down with some heavy weights. It was quite simple and the bike was very stable.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Thanks, this is useful. My plan was to use a surplus hand winch (worm gear type) mounted on a wall and lead the cable to overhead position with 2 pulleys on the ceiling. Then drop a web sling under the triple clamp. I had not thought of securing the bar ends as you suggest. Now I see that if the handle bars are free it will be awkward working on the wheel. I have all the parts except the sling. I can fit web straps to bar ends or even use the Canyon Dancer (a pig to use on the wide bar. Whatcha think?
I think you need to firm up the rear of the bike, or you could get some swing. If you have a rear stand and spools on the bike, use it. Put the bike onto the rear stand, tie the rear stand onto the spools of the bike using some heavy twine, and then stack something heavy onto the stand so that it won't move or flip up. Then lift up the front...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2015-10-10 14.27.19.jpg
I think you need to firm up the rear of the bike, or you could get some swing. If you have a rear stand and spools on the bike, use it. Put the bike onto the rear stand, tie the rear stand onto the spools of the bike using some heavy twine, and then stack something heavy onto the stand so that it won't move or flip up. Then lift up the front...
Here is my belt and braces front end lift. All parts were surplus except the sling, total cost $10. It turns out that the rear stand does not get unstable. I had neighbor standby just in case. Thanks again for the tip. Do need to tie down bars so the front wheel does not move side to side.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2015-10-10 14.54.49.jpg
View attachment 21531
Here is my belt and braces front end lift. All parts were surplus except the sling, total cost $10. It turns out that the rear stand does not get unstable. I had neighbor standby just in case. Thanks again for the tip. Do need to tie down bars so the front wheel does not move side to side.
Duh! Forgot the "braces" part. Forks rest on small car jack (left) and axle stand (right) so the front is not hanging and is very stable. This happens when you have been retired almost 12 years.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I would use 2 tie downs just because I always want a backup. You can buy a sling if you want - but I've never had a good cambuckle strap slip. I wouldn't leave it suspended for more than a couple of days. If you have to leave it up a while then put a jack or stand under anything you can just to help secure it. Using some canyon dancers to secure the bars and keep it from swinging would be very helpful. When I didn't have a triple tree stand I would also use tie downs on the back end to help hold the bike stable - several if you also don't have a rear stand.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would use 2 tie downs just because I always want a backup. You can buy a sling if you want - but I've never had a good cambuckle strap slip. I wouldn't leave it suspended for more than a couple of days. If you have to leave it up a while then put a jack or stand under anything you can just to help secure it. Using some canyon dancers to secure the bars and keep it from swinging would be very helpful. When I didn't have a triple tree stand I would also use tie downs on the back end to help hold the bike stable - several if you also don't have a rear stand.
Couldn't agree more with you. But if you look at my later post, the bike sits solidly on an axle stand and car jack (since the forks have different shape at the support end). My bike will sit like that until Apr. 2016.I don't live in AZ or CA.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
Morris39
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
We’re the largest Yamaha forum for owners and enthusiasts of the FZ-09 and MT-09. The site has thousands of topics covering performance and reliability, photos, videos and more!
Full Forum Listing