Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did an oil change today and I managed to over tighten the k and n oil filter! There is now a bulge at the very end of it when you would put a wrench to tighten it onto the bike

I loosened it back up...can I continue using this or is it useless now and I should get another one? I haven't started the bike yet so will oil spew out everywhere if I change it with another one causing me to have to buy all new oil?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
A new filter would be a good idea just in case the internals were tweaked. As for the oil, just clean your pan and drain the new oil out and reuse it.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Isn't it Best to just Hand Tighten......??? Just asking.:cool:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Isn't it Best to just Hand Tighten......??? Just asking.:cool:
Yup. Put oil around the seal then screw it on and hand tighten. I don't torque down any of my filters.

The manual does recommend torquing but to each their own - I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not what I wanted to hear lol...I'll go but a new one tomorrow...if I haven't run the bike at all will oil still spew out of there? And yeah hand tightening is probably best cause I only tightened it a couple turns past hand right and it was way to far

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not what I wanted to hear lol...I'll go but a new one tomorrow...if I haven't run the bike at all will oil still spew out of there? And yeah hand tightening is probably best cause I only tightened it a couple turns past hand right and it was way to far
No - oil won't spew out. Providing you haven't pre filled the filter before installing.

Apply oil to new seal of new filter, screw the filter on, when seated, then add a 1/2-3/4 turn. No need to swing on it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool..I'll just buy one more quart of oil in case..I did pre full the filter a little but if only that spills out it won't be a big deal..thanks for the quick answers everyone!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Apply oil to new seal of new filter
Nice. That's an important step in the process. Not that any steps are unimportant, but this one seems to get skipped more than others.

·
Registered
584 Posts
It cheap to change the filter but if you start the engine and there's no leaks, it's probably OK... the exterior sheet metal might have twisted slightly. Not speaking from experience though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts