Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend one that will fit nicely? Preferably something I can order off Amazon. My bike sits outside 24/7 in Hawaii.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'm buying this, this week.

http://www.cycleshell.com/index.html

Nothing I found on amazon looked as good and I want something that's a full enclosure to keep the elements out, mostly moisture.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My bike stays out 24/7- no garages in Brooklyn for me. I used a Tourmaster PVC one ($20 odd) all winter in the rain and heavy snow. It hardens up in the cold when I take it off in the morning- and has tore a bit where I tugged it a bit (the vents near the handlebars). Tourmaster is looking at these problems for me. It has protected my bike from all elements without fail and since it looks a bit torn around the handlebars, it keeps thugs from stealing my cover- I tie with a a master Lock Python cable lock to secure it. (On a side note, the dealer told me to spray paint the cover to keep the thieves awayl!)

However, for a few $ more, get the Nelson Rigg. Like this one on Amazon. My friend has one, it does not harden, it's thin and easily foldable and is every bit as good as a pvc cover. His bike has been out every day as well.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Mi bike stays out 24/7- no garages in Brooklyn for me. I used a Tourmaster PVC one ($20 odd) all winter in the rain and heavy snow. It hardens up in the cold when I take it off in the morning- and has tore a bit where I tugged it a bit (the vents near the handlebars). Tourmaster is looking at these problems for me. It has protected my bike from all elements without fail and since it looks a bit torn around the handlebars, it keeps thugs from stealing my cover- I tie with a a master Lock Python cable lock to secure it. (On a side note, the dealer told me to spray paint the cover to keep the thieves awayl!
However, for a few $ more, get the Nelson Rigg. Like this one on Amazon. My friend has one, it does not harden, it's thin and easily foldable and is every bit as good as a pvc cover. His bike has been out every day as well.

how well does the cover get rid of moisture build up - my last cover that was like this protected the bike fine but the moister in the morning is what made me nervous. I was thinking with the cycle shell that it would mitigate that being a whole close system but 35 bucks for the cover you mention vs. 350 is a big difference/ i'm not sure how much that moisture has an impact on the bike operation over time .

·
Registered
570 Posts
Also watch out for scratches from the wind blowing the cover and it billowing across painted surfaces. Ideally you want a cover with a soft liner to prevent such scratches, but if grit gets embedded in the liner fabric you may end up worse off than with a cover that has no liner.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
how well does the cover get rid of moisture build up - my last cover that was like this protected the bike fine but the moister in the morning is what made me nervous. I was thinking with the cycle shell that it would mitigate that being a whole close system but 35 bucks for the cover you mention vs. 350 is a big difference/ i'm not sure how much that moisture has an impact on the bike operation over time .
Do you mean moisture build up in the exhaust that sends white smoke bellowing from the exhaust as you warm up the bike? That goes away after the engine is warm, right? That moisture build up is normal- even in cars, if I am not mistaken. The problem could be only when someone is storing the bike outside and not riding for months on end- but thats going to have different problems and all fluids will need to be emptied etc etc. Unless a vehicle is indoors in controlled temperatures (significantly higher than the outside), this moisture build up is bound to happen. I am not sure your solution will prevent this moisture formation and it seems more of a hassle to do every single day without offering extra features like heating.
Also, you will see that most covers allow for "venting" which allows most moisture to "escape"- so far, this venting as prevented any other moisture build up except the one in the exhaust.
But if you ride you bike regularly, you should be fine with a normal cover. (yes, get a lined one- esp if you don't clean your bike before storing it for the night)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
sorry should have been more specific - i meant in the morning when there is dew - i lifted my old cover off my SV and it would be covered in water droplets (all over the bike). Basically seemed like moisture would build up over night with the change in temperature when the sun hit it in the morning and condensation would form all over the bike. I used to just wipe it down and move on but wasn't sure how bad that was for the bike to have condensation build up on everything.

When the weather gets better - my bike becomes my main source of transportation for most tasks so i frequently wipe it down and clean it.

Good looks on the liner too - i think i may get that cheaper amazon cover and see how ti goes - if it's bad then i'll upgrade to the cycle shell but i just don't want to spend that much on a cover.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Ah, that moisture build-up has not happened to me yet because of the decent venting I guess? And I am guessing my bike faced similar conditions to what your bike did this past winter.
Dowco is a great company for covers- as are Nelson Rigg, Tourmaster and MotoCentric. The top models of all these companies are pretty good. Look for waterproof/all weather capability, grommets or locking systems, venting, the material (dont get PVC- is pain to fold in the cold mornings- warmer conditions, they are fine) and the inside liner. I am about to get something thinner to take with me during touring.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i appreciate the advice (hopefully i didnt thread jack this thread). My brother has a garage so i keep it in his garage int he winter but bring it back to my house and put it in the driveway during the riding months.

I went with the dowco cover as it had the liner, proper ventin and good reviews. THe previous cover i had sucked so i think anything will be an upgrade.

This thread saved me $350 haha

·
Registered
298 Posts
anyone have and info on Dowco covers - seem to be a bit more expensive but solid reviews on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Dowco-50003-0...bs_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1GRMJ8P3ECG3BVRC9AR7
I have had 3 dowco covers and they are worth every penny. Very high quality and keeps water off your bike. There is vent panels so there is no moisture build up under neath the cover. My only complaint is that the one that I had didn't cover the bottom of my fairings on my FZ6R, and the water would splash the dirt on the bottom 2 inches. Not too big of a deal though, since I wash my bikes a lot.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i went with the large cover vs. the sport bike one to hopefully prevent that - i had a similar problem on my last bike with the cover i own.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Can anyone recommend one that will fit nicely? Preferably something I can order off Amazon. My bike sits outside 24/7 in Hawaii.
PacificFZ09-Aloha my braddah, where in Hawaii are you? I'm up in the North Kohala area of the Big Island-nice to know there's a few 09's out here in the 808. As far as a good outdoor cover, mine sits outside as well and I strongly recommend getting the Dowco WeatherAll Plus in the SPORTBIKE size. It's all black, thick, fits tight and covers the bike completely(I do need to twist the mirrors inward when I put it on in order for it to cover all the way down over the wheels completely). I prefer my covers to fit tight so when we get the 20-30 mph trades it won't turn into a sail and pull my bike over with it. But it can dump rain, and water will not penetrate thru the cover-it's pretty much water proof. I had the same cover on my(recently stolen) 04 R6 for 4 years and never had any issues with it. I also have the Dowco Ultralight travel cover I use when I ride it to work-it rolls up and packs super small, so I can toss it in my backpack and that way my bike never has to sit outside all day and get blasted by the brutal Hawaiian sun. I got mine thru Amazon for something around 80 bucks, not super cheap, but totally worth it for the quality you get. Aloha....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ill probably get the Dowco sport bike cover. This bike is so new the fitment guides on Amazon say nothing fits this bike. Im on Oahu. I ride about once a week on the weekends. H1 in the morning and afternoon is killer so I usually dont ride to work. Aloha and mahalo!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Ill probably get the Dowco sport bike cover. This bike is so new the fitment guides on Amazon say nothing fits this bike. Im on Oahu. I ride about once a week on the weekends. H1 in the morning and afternoon is killer so I usually dont ride to work. Aloha and mahalo!
Yeah, I hear ya-lived on Oahu(Kailua) for 15 years before I decided I had enuf of the traffic on that rock. Hard to get in a good ride with the jacked up roads and never ending back ups. As far as the Dowco cover, if you're always going to park outside, I still think your best bet is the WeatherAll Plus-can't say enough good things about the quality of their covers. As to sizing-your right, the FZ is too new to be listed on their sizing chart, but speaking from 1st hand experience, I got the Sportbike size and as I said, it does fit snug, ie; no flapping around in the strong trades. But just an FYI-if your expecting it to loosely drape over the entire bike leaving nothing exposed, you may want a bigger size. But if you prefer it to be a snug fit, this is the size I went with. IF you twist the mirrors inward and put it on straight and snug it down with the attached strap, it covers down to and around the tires/wheels. Even with the 25-30 mph trades we've had the last 3 days over here, there's no flapping or billowing at all. Plus it's a thick water proof polyester with a soft lining on the inside front 1/3. Don't let the description on Amazon throw you-there is NO silver aluminized panel on the bottom half-it's totally black(at least the Sportbike size is). Although, don't do what I did-after using the same cover for years on the R6 and putting it on after a brief cool down, I(stupidly) did the same thing with the FZ, forgetting about the 'udder' hanging below the bike right where the web strap comes across. Evidently the 'udder' stays really hot for quite a long time-hot enough to melt the web strap(duh!). Aloha and ride safe over there....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts